New Thai(Elite)Visa ! 5 Year PE Visa !

My God... Some people on here really live in the past :)

The good thing about enrolling in the Thailand Elite program is that it is about the future.

5 to 20 years of comfort, easy visa, long term trouble free stays, one year extendable stamps, golden girls welcoming you each time you come back (and depart too, actually), no headaches, no changing rules, no visa runs, no questions, no worries, ...

Those who opt for the Thailand Elite membership are optimists who want a comfortable future.

Those who are so much against the program are (at best) pessimists who are stuck in the past, full of worries, bad feelings, frustrations, ... I feel so lucky that I don't belong to that group.

gerry I think if SOME of the 'pessimists' understood the value some of the TE members put against the price of this service in their financial world against (the pessimists) then they would wish us the best of luck and that's an honest and polite point I'm trying to make.

gerry I think if SOME of the 'pessimists' understood the value some of the TE members put against the price of this service in their financial world against (the pessimists) then they would wish us the best of luck and that's an honest and polite point I'm trying to make.

In fact, optimist or pessimist... Each post is free advertisement for the program :)

A program that I am happy to help advertise, of course :)

This visa or program "cancelation" is just a (rather strange) hopeless wish of the Thailand Elite haters... who anxiously wait, since over a decade, and with no result, that something bad happens to the ones who enrolled in the program. Just a simple jealousy story.

Now you're back at it again, Gerry, talking about haters and jealousy -- when there's none of that here.

Simple fact: Thailand planned to cancel the TE program before, and almost did. If they had followed thru with their plan back in 2009, people with 20 year TE purchases would have been left holding the remainder of their current 5 year visa and nothing more.

The government went down that road once before. And there's no reason to say they might not go down that road again in the future.

Speaking personally, I'm glad you have your visa... I just hope you get the full use of your purchase, and that it isn't canceled by a Thai government somewhere along the line.

My comments here have never been aimed at you or anyone else who has already purchased a TE plan. Rather, they've been aimed at people who HAVEN'T but might be considering it -- since they deserve to understand the truthful history of the program, and not just the Pollyanna PR pitch you are continually spinning.

Really, I was done posting on this subject, since I'd clearly spelled out the history of the program and the potential risks involved. But when you keep dredging up unwarranted stuff about haters and jealousy, I'm not going to let it pass unchallenged.

And you can substantiate the 2nd paragraph of your post in fact ? They could have cancelled the program and grandfathered the existing members or the duration of their membership, there was never anything in rhe information published during that period which suggested they would renege on the contract

Therefore seeing as nothing happened on the previous ocassion one could suggest the risk of the reneging on the visas in future has been reduced significantly

Seems to me there are people who have bought into this program and appear to be happy how they have spent THEIR money we have the prople who consistantly try to piss on the program as one suspects they couldnt spend the money on it anyway

Edited by Soutpeel

And you can substantiate the 2nd paragraph of your post in fact ? They could have cancelled the program and grandfathered the existing members or the duration of their membership, there was never anything in rhe information published during that period which suggested they would renege on the contract

Not quite... If you read The Nation news report from 2009 that I previously posted/linked to above, there's not much "grandfathering" going on... They apparently were going to allow the existing 5 year visas to run, but everything else was going to be wiped out. Those on the 20-year plan wouldn't have been able to obtain any new 5 year visas after their current ones expired. And no refunds forthcoming.

According members of TPC, they received a letter a few days ago stating that all privileges had been suspended. The letter also informed them that because their "elite" status was being removed, they would be required to adjust to the new circumstances as normal individuals. Moreover, those members who had benefited from special five-year visas were urged to make fresh visa applications as general visitors.

All TPC members were also told theysaid members would not be eligible for a refund of their membership fee.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

The Thailand Elite haters, who are not members and have limited knowledge of the program, systematically come up with the same old boring stories to discredit it.

The Thailand Elite members on their side explain how they enjoy the privileges, the long term visa, the 1 year stamp, the assistance at the airport, the peace of mind...

It's like depression versus happiness :)

A little more research and you will find out why they backed off on canceling existing memberships. There were a number of members ready to to take them to court over it. That is when they did some math and figured out what it would cost to settle the lawsuit.

• Like 1

It is not for people over 50! If I was, I wouldn't consider it.

It's expensive compared to 1900 baht per year for retirement extensions. So it's relative to your other options here if you have any.

It is not for people over 50! If I was, I wouldn't consider it.

It's expensive compared to 1900 baht per year for retirement extensions. So it's relative to your other options here if you have any.

You should simply say "it is not for someone like me".

Many members are over 50.

Some well over 50.

They like the convenience... There is no age to like convenience.

Edited by gerry1011

A little more research and you will find out why they backed off on canceling existing memberships. There were a number of members ready to to take them to court over it. That is when they did some math and figured out what it would cost to settle the lawsuit.

Yes... there are a lot of BILLION baht numbers involved with TE...

The estimate of what they would have have to potentially pay back to members, had they cancelled the program as planned, was reported as 2.4 or 2.5 billion baht.

post-58284-0-20450400-1437804578_thumb.j

And then there's the running financial lost that TE has accumulated... estimated back in 2009 at 1.4 billion baht, and I believe there were even higher estimates a few years later as more losses accumulated.

post-58284-0-96475400-1437804760_thumb.j

This ThaiVisa thread from back in 2009 references both numbers:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/283511-thailand-elite-program-in-tatters/

• Like 2

There is someone fighting a lonely battle on here ;)

But the happiness of thousands of Thailand Elite members will not be affected by the same depressing (old) stories, repeated by some posters who still don't want to, or simply can't see the value of such program.

But I wish the Thailand Elite haters a lot of happiness (not sure it is a suitable word in this case) in writing their posts too... It certainly helps these threads to stay alive and in the news :)

Edited by gerry1011

If they didn't cancel it last time due to the fear of being sued by TE members /toll on tourism/investment confidence etc then I'm extremely confident it won't happen this time...

Edited by Sharp
  • Like 1

If they didn't cancel it last time due to the fear of being sued by TE members /tole on tourism/investment confidence etc then I'm extremely confident it won't happen this time...

The reasons the Thailand Elite program does not need to be cancelled include these:

- There are too many members, and more members join each day. The members are the strength of the program.

- The program is now limited in time, with memberships ranging from 5 to 20 years only.

So, if one day the government does not need to attract wealthy visitors anymore, they will just have to stop offering new memberships and let the program finish by itself.

- Also, nowadays, the people who were against the program for political reasons are the ones overseeing the program.

- And also... It was already said that the program went through two military coups and one Democrat government. If it is still there, it means it is there to stay.

I am very confident :)

But if I was running the program myself, I would still introduce an annual fee for all members, as well as a platinum option.

Edited by gerry1011

If they didn't cancel it last time due to the fear of being sued by TE members /tole on tourism/investment confidence etc then I'm extremely confident it won't happen this time...

The reasons the Thailand Elite program does not need to be cancelled include these:

- There are too many members, and more members join each day. The members are the strength of the program.

- The program is now limited in time, with memberships ranging from 5 to 20 years only.

So, if one day the government does not need to attract wealthy visitors anymore, they will just have to stop offering new memberships and let the program finish by itself.

- Also, nowadays, the people who were against the program for political reasons are the ones overseeing the program.

- And also... It was already said that the program went through two military coups and one Democrat government. If it is still there, it means it is there to stay.

I am very confident smile.png

I agree. Bottom line is that if they want to close down the scheme they can, but it's likely that it would wound down over time by first stopping new members and renewals.

I'm sure the losses made in the past were not the reason why the scheme was threatened with closure, and I doubt if any future losses will either. As you imply it's risk is all political. Whether or not the income generated by the "wealthy visitors" it attracts covers the losses to the scheme and justifies it's existence is debatable. I believe most of theses visitors would visit anyway. And being able to pay 500k every 6 years doesn't make someone wealthy. If anything the scheme is too cheap.

Out of interest, I had a chat with one of the Elite staff at Suwannaphuum last time I travelled overseas (May this year)

He said that Elite membership is around 3,000, having recently risen rapidly from 2,500. The Elite staff are dealing with 40-50 entry/exits every day, so they maintain a team of 2-3 people at the airport 24/7, doing 10-hour shifts.

As for the pros and cons of the Elite scheme, I notice that almost every other thread on this forum is a litany of woes about the problems of turning an ED visa into a non-B, or being blacklisted at KL, or battling overstay issues, or whether triple-entry visas are available at Ulan Bator, or having problems of providing convincing financial documentation, or ...

Anything that cuts through all of that would seem to be worthwhile looking into.

• Like 1

Out of interest, I had a chat with one of the Elite staff at Suwannaphuum last time I travelled overseas (May this year)

He said that Elite membership is around 3,000, having recently risen rapidly from 2,500. The Elite staff are dealing with 40-50 entry/exits every day, so they maintain a team of 2-3 people at the airport 24/7, doing 10-hour shifts.

As for the pros and cons of the Elite scheme, I notice that almost every other thread on this forum is a litany of woes about the problems of turning an ED visa into a non-B, or being blacklisted at KL, or battling overstay issues, or whether triple-entry visas are available at Ulan Bator, or having problems of providing convincing financial documentation, or ...

Anything that cuts through all of that would seem to be worthwhile looking into.

If i wasnt working here and lost my job before hitting the big 50 and decided i was staying in Thailand, the 500k option would be a no brainer for me

• Like 2

Been following this topic a lot and thought I'd chip in.

Personally I would never dream of paying to be a guest in Thailand unless it led to more solid grounds. 500,000 to 2,000,000 for the right to stay here and yet not live here is too high. I can see it being attractive to frequent travellers to Thailand who own condos here but as a method to live here it doesn't add up unless there were more possibilities in the future. On the other hand I'g gladly pay that amount for residence here leading to citizenship. Along with loads of other expats I want to live here properly, I have a work permit and multiple entry visa hoping to get extension shortly, three years to apply for residence.

My main question is if I paid 500k for this visa, after three years - along with my current work permit being renewed for that time can I apply for residence being on this visa? If yes I would definitely consider this option.

Another question - are work permit rules relaxed for holders of this visa?

Personally I would never dream of paying to be a guest in Thailand unless it led to more solid grounds. 500,000 to 2,000,000 for the right to stay here and yet not live here is too high. I can see it being attractive to frequent travellers to Thailand who own condos here but as a method to live here it doesn't add up unless there were more possibilities in the future. On the other hand I'g gladly pay that amount for residence here leading to citizenship. Along with loads of other expats I want to live here properly, I have a work permit and multiple entry visa hoping to get extension shortly, three years to apply for residence.

My main question is if I paid 500k for this visa, after three years - along with my current work permit being renewed for that time can I apply for residence being on this visa? If yes I would definitely consider this option.

Why would you need to do this you already have a WP , 3 years of extensions and paying tax on around 80k m and you can apply for PR, there is no benefit in you getting the 500k TE

You can't work with a TE visa and only non immigration visa holders qualify for PR. So it wouldn't be any good for your plans.

Now I'm confused.

Doesn't the 5 year deal give you the legal right to live here for 5 years, even without leaving at all?

I've been in Thailand for about 5 years now but hesitate to say I 'live' here. I'm on a 'non-immigrant' visa. I would say that I 'stay' in Thailand - but that's just me.

You can't work with a TE visa and only non immigration visa holders qualify for PR. So it wouldn't be any good for your plans.

With that being said i do remember something in the TE literature which talked about WP's ?

Why would you need to do this you already have a WP , 3 years of extensions and paying tax on around 80k m and you can apply for PR, there is no benefit in you getting the 500k TE

While I can get a work permit I don't meet the requirements for extension of stay for business. My wife who is Thai lives in the UK so marriage extension would be difficult paying 500k for visa would make it easier.

While I can get a work permit I don't meet the requirements for extension of stay for business. My wife who is Thai lives in the UK so marriage extension would be difficult paying 500k for visa would make it easier.

Why dont you qualify out of curiousity ?

The Thailand Elite site says PE visa? Privileged Entry? As this is not a tourist visa it must be a non immigrant? From the site it says the below - now does this mean I can just get a work permit for my company no questions asked without jumping through any hoops, Thai staff etc? Any holders of the card got a work permit before and after getting this visa? Is it just a question of getting one or do requirements still need to be met? Also anyone on this visa applied for residence after having it for so long?

Government Concierge - Immigration Service - Driver's License - Work Permit

Paying 500k for a visa one suspects is not going to help you based on what you have written, the intent of the TE is completely different

Why dont you qualify out of curiousity ?

The company has only just been formed and I got the work permit with 2 Thai staff - immigration say you need 4 as a must for business extension but that wouldn't be feasible on the amount I make.....

The Thailand Elite site says PE visa? Privileged Entry? As this is not a tourist visa it must be a non immigrant? From the site it says the below - now does this mean I can just get a work permit for my company no questions asked without jumping through any hoops, Thai staff etc? Any holders of the card got a work permit before and after getting this visa? Is it just a question of getting one or do requirements still need to be met? Also anyone on this visa applied for residence after having it for so long?

Government Concierge - Immigration Service - Driver's License - Work Permit

No your mixing visa systems, even if a TE visa could be used for a WP, employee requirements, cap of Ltd company will not change