Truck topples 47 power poles

george

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The tall concrete power poles aren't concreted in. In fact none of them are.

yep your spot on cooked,we had a team erect 3 behind us,they dug the holes,dropped them in,filled the holes with the EARTH that came out and STAMPED it down with their sandals.

now one is leaning at 10past,and another well shouldnt be long before it falls over bringing the others down.

I put a 12 metre one in, the electric guys dug it by hand as I have stony soil then they tried to do the same so i stopped them ordered a cube of concrete and sloppe d that down, then the next day at ground level formed up the sides 45cm and 1 metre square and poured a box around it, it hasnt budged yet. They thought i was nuts

[quote

Did they notify the Polish embassy? clap2.gif

This seems to be a veiled jibe at the Polish. It deserves to be put away with all the other tasteless and bigoted remarks one often finds in the gutter.

You are not really serious, are you?

Who pays for this when most insurance is caped at 10 mil Baht? More than 10m baht damage there.

Thai tv this morning said 30 million baht.

I wonder if the truck owners have any insurance at all,I think the company owner was choking on his rice this morning,one big bill.

A cast concrete power pole costs around 2,000bht.

SO 100,000bht for the poles, and 29,900,000bht for the electric co. slush fund.

yep your spot on cooked,we had a team erect 3 behind us,they dug the holes,dropped them in,filled the holes with the EARTH that came out and STAMPED it down with their sandals.

now one is leaning at 10past,and another well shouldnt be long before it falls over bringing the others down.

I put a 12 metre one in, the electric guys dug it by hand as I have stony soil then they tried to do the same so i stopped them ordered a cube of concrete and sloppe d that down, then the next day at ground level formed up the sides 45cm and 1 metre square and poured a box around it, it hasnt budged yet. They thought i was nuts

Nothing to learn from stupid foreigners...

Besides, cost goes up, kickback goes down, everyone knows that.

Edited by Down the rabbit hole

Who pays for this when most insurance is caped at 10 mil Baht? More than 10m baht damage there.

The company that employed the truck driver. The negligent party, and their employer, when the employee is acting within the course and scope of their employment, is always responsible for the damage. Insurance only allows them to shift some of the risk of loss to another party. It's possible the company has an umbrella insurance policy that would provide excess coverage. Policies with US$1 million limits are not uncommon.

Not Fair, not Thai. Obviously the Falang power company, falang money involved, they tied all the poles together with cables from pole to pole. That created maximum pole failure so clearly not Thai driver fault. Falang finance company done the dirty deed. They must pay again and quickly to make Thai customer smile again. coffee1.gif Also consider big prize money from Guinness book of records. Watch out when driving on Thai road with power poles. Many will try to break this Thai record.clap2.gifclap2.gif

a sad but good analogy for the whole country.

no rules, engineering, regulations or thought. nothing.

we all have seen these utility poles completely overloaded with heavy cables.

just keep piling them up. year after year.

these were all tied together and boom...

when you think you have seen it all, amazing Thailand.

This seems to be a veiled jibe at the Polish. It deserves to be put away with all the other tasteless and bigoted remarks one often finds in the gutter.

It's a pun, mate. Calm down.

I suggest you apolegise immediately.

Edited by teatree

I am only waiting for the Thai Apologists to say :

"This happen in other countries too, not only Thailand" ... clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Well, can just reply to that : "It only happen in Thailand" ... 47 poles in 22 Wheel truck - what a drunken fool ha-ha-ha ...

BTW did the driver do a runner as usual ... ?

I've seen the same thing before. The problem is the poles have no (or at least insufficient) reinforcing steel embedded in them. As a result, they have only compressive strength: that is they can take a vertical load only. When something tries to 'bend' them, they have no strength so they break. And, since they're all tied together many break in incidents like this. It costs money to reinforce the concrete poles. So, it's unlikely that they will have much steel in them. It would seem that a prudent bureaucrat would at least reinforce, say, every 5th pole so they don't come down like dominos. Naaah. too expensive.

sigh

We had a similar thing happen in Chiang Mai 3 years ago due to high winds. Once the poles started falling the others followed. Here's a couple of pics of the "deconstructed" power poles. The rebar is not the same quality we use here in the US.

IMG_1484-S.jpg

IMG_1479-M.jpg

IMG_1478-M.jpg

I see about 5 in the picture and would have thought the truck would have stopped at the first one down---- that loud banging noise????------ surely the rest did not fall if he did indeed stop at No1.If so gross negligence to the "pole fitter engineers!!!!" and the "wire hanger uppers":clap2: :clap2::cheesy::cheesy:

. It was a chain reaction,..the truck only hit one pole! der

I see about 5 in the picture and would have thought the truck would have stopped at the first one down---- that loud banging noise????------ surely the rest did not fall if he did indeed stop at No1.If so gross negligence to the "pole fitter engineers!!!!" and the "wire hanger uppers":clap2: clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

. It was a chain reaction,..the truck only hit one pole! der

The poor driver probably didn´t hear the loud bang. How could he, with the radio blasting at full power?? That could explain everything!! Just reading the comments on this thread is hillarious!! Keep up the good work!!

I think the reference is to Polish people being called poles not a derogatory remarks about the Polish.

Of course your comment could be sarcasm. In which case ignore me.

No doubt the government will pylon the pressure to get these fixed quickly

Once they get over the initial shock.

they the government are too busy making a case for Thailand to have nuclear power.... this will help to strengthen their case. (talking of chain reactions....)

Edited by bangon04

We had a similar thing happen in Chiang Mai 3 years ago due to high winds. Once the poles started falling the others followed. Here's a couple of pics of the "deconstructed" power poles. The rebar is not the same quality we use here in the US.

IMG_1484-S.jpg

whistling.gif

IMG_1478-M.jpg

Couple of problems.... too much aggregate to cement ratio... I doubt these are pre-stressed, and apparently they prefer rewire to rebar.whistling.gif