Govt coming up with strategies to handle an ageing society

Lite Beer

Govt coming up with strategies to handle an ageing society
The Nation

30266179-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- As elderly people will account for a fourth of the population by 2028, the government has come up with a strategy to set up health centres and give older people vocational opportunities, Social Development and Human Security Minister Adul Saengsingkaew said.

Adul was speaking in an exclusive interview with Nation Multimedia Group's editorinchief, Thepchai Yong, on NOW26's "26th Hour" on Thursday. Also present was Anusan Thienthong, chief of the newly established Department of Older Persons.

Adul said some 10 per cent of the population or 10 million people were over 60 now, and by 2020 this figure would go beyond 20 per cent, making Thailand an "aged society", and "super aged" when the number rises to nearly 30 per cent by 2050.

The government's latest strategy is to ensure that elderly people are of "good quality" as defined by good physical and mental health, as well as capable of working until the age of 65-70, he said. People in the fields of education, medicine, technology and craftsmanship are already working beyond retirement age, he added.

Asked if this was the time to consider extending the retirement age for state officials, Adul said it would be considered as "age is just a number", citing recent research that people working beyond retirement actually live longer. He said an extended life span meant warmer family life, and those who maintained an active lifestyle and did charity work could live until the age of 80 to 90.

The minister confirmed that the government was giving this matter importance, adding that a steering committee led by Deputy Prime Minister Yongyuth Yuthawong had been assigned the task, while a national assembly had been put in place to gather opinions.

"We are focusing on local communities. We have 878 elderly care centres nationwide already and are trying to encourage communities to create their own care system. We will also provide training to 80,000 volunteers in the communities," he said.

Adul said that when Thailand became a "super aged society", it would have fewer workers, hence all parties must adjust, apply more technology and put in place health security.

"We have to take care of people's health and living conditions, as well as boost work quality so they can continue working. Moreover, savings should be sufficient to ensure a comfortable retirement, as people will need to depend on themselves as much as they can."

Last year, the Provincial Administrative Department reported that the number of elderly people had risen to about 14 per cent, while the birth rate had dropped to less than 1 per cent, Anusan said.

The key problems old people face are deteriorating health, income and social interaction, hence state agencies under the Interior, Public Health and Labour ministries had created strategies to ensure their income and extended work opportunities, he said.

Unlike Japan and Singapore, Thailand already has farmers and poor people doing odd jobs, hence providing everybody with a pension or social security is challenging, with many ending up living on state-granted allowances, Anusan added.

However, he said, the private sector would be encouraged to extend the retirement age from 55, while the public sector would offer incentives such as tax rebates for those taking care of their aged parents.

He also said older people should be offered life-long education, easy access to public transport, and opportunities to exchange knowledge and learn new skills. Those entering old age should be strong so they can become a force for Thai society and offer wisdom for it to move forward, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Govt-coming-up-with-strategies-to-handle-an-ageing-30266179.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-08

Whilst it has to start somewhere, I feel this will be ll talk and littl action. A pension and welfare state system wuld be great but actually geting people to pay for it would be difficult, in my opinion. Getting people to pay taxes is hard enough. The plan needs to be introduced very quickly, as Thialand already has an ageing population. It would be nice so children are not forced into caring for elderly relatives for many, or if not, most of their working lives. Is there a time frame for all this talk to actually come up with sme implementation stratergies, or is it all wind?

Make the most slippery floors that you can find in every temple. That'll get em.

Also make sidewalks full of holes and low hanging steel pins, they love that....

Sidewalks who suddenly end onto the road are great! Maybe they don't see that....

Soi dogs around every corner, awesome! Grandpa's can't outrun them.

Cables on the floors? Why not?

I hope this doesn't offend anyone but as Thailand is always wanting to become a hub of something, why not euthanasia? Bhudda was okay with suicide in certain cases so there should be no ethical issues. This could address the population crisis and perhaps boost tourism.

I'd suggest Euthanasia but my age means I'm a likely candidate.

I am 79 and very fit for my age but I would not be able to do a full days work.Thats why I retired from my last position as a part-timer at 70.However if(or when) I get to a state of being in a painful,drug induced terminal coma,and doing no good except filling the coffers of a local hospital with thousands of BT a day I want to be Euthanised.But of course the Doctors will not do it.

I am 79 and very fit for my age but I would not be able to do a full days work.Thats why I retired from my last position as a part-timer at 70.However if(or when) I get to a state of being in a painful,drug induced terminal coma,and doing no good except filling the coffers of a local hospital with thousands of BT a day I want to be Euthanised.But of course the Doctors will not do it.

There are somethings in life that you have to do yourself, like planning before you get to coma stage

In Thailand I have read many news articles referring to anyone over 50 as being elderly. This thinking needs to be changed....with good healthcare there is no reason why people cannot work to Age 65 which should give their children the chance to get established before being saddled with supporting their families as soon as they start their careers.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone but as Thailand is always wanting to become a hub of something, why not euthanasia? Bhudda was okay with suicide in certain cases so there should be no ethical issues. This could address the population crisis and perhaps boost tourism.

you must be British, apologizing for something even before you start. Nothing wrong in offending people, it shows that at least you have stood up for something once in your life.

I don't think for Europe that would work, Switzerland is nearer, having said that it would be great for able bodied men, one long round of debauchery first without having to worry about aids.

I understand the Western countries are opening up a retirement category for Thais. if they are 55 or older They can move to the United States but They are not allowed property

They cannot work They cannot own majority in a company. They have to sit on their butts and do nothing but are allowed to stay in the United States

Oh yes they cannot participate in Obama Car but they are offered a very good life in the Land of Opportunity

A couple of decades ago I told my then teenage daughter that if I ever ended up on a machine, was in a coma or in a state of absolute dementia she was to put me out of my misery.

I often think back to the enthusiasm she showed in assuring she would !

It all, everything, has to start somewhere!

Just imagine if everyone in the London marathon stayed at the starting line because 'they had to start somewhere'.

You miss the point. The objective should be to finish, not just start. And that's where Thais do not do well they're good at talking a good game but that's where it usually ends - talking.

In Thailand I have read many news articles referring to anyone over 50 as being elderly. This thinking needs to be changed....with good healthcare there is no reason why people cannot work to Age 65 which should give their children the chance to get established before being saddled with supporting their families as soon as they start their careers.

Productive adult life here isn't very long, you are a teenager into your late 20's and old at 50.

Thais are planning to "come up with strategies." This is a typical Thai news article that never is followed. Thais never come up with anything except another plan or program.

Certainly many previous "elected" governments never even bothered to talk about it, but at least this government is and will most likely try to do something.

However that doesn't suit your negative way of thinking.

Whilst it has to start somewhere, I feel this will be ll talk and littl action. A pension and welfare state system wuld be great but actually geting people to pay for it would be difficult, in my opinion. Getting people to pay taxes is hard enough. The plan needs to be introduced very quickly, as Thialand already has an ageing population. It would be nice so children are not forced into caring for elderly relatives for many, or if not, most of their working lives. Is there a time frame for all this talk to actually come up with sme implementation stratergies, or is it all wind?

There IS a pension system in place but it is poorly funded. Both my wife' Mum and Dad get 600 baht per month each.

One way to finance it would be to increase taxation but as you say getting people to pay taxes now is hard enough.

1). Put them in boats with limited fuel/food/water and, 2). Say goodbye !

I hope that you are put in the first boat with no food or water and on your own.

Few people will say goodbye to you and many more will not even care.

Soylent Green get rid of the old people and make a profit. Of course they would have to do a lot of tenderizing as I am a tough old bird. I think they make soup out of tough old birds. The undertaker lobby would be just screaming. Come for the old politicians first leave me till last.