Police Refute 'The Times' Report Naming Suspect

Lite Beer

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nikhom, in Parry’s account, said he gave ride to the suspect eight days in a row in February, always at 5:30am from a stand on Sathorn Road and was confident it was the same man show to him in a passport photo shown to him by an immigration official

If this is true then its time to take the rest seriously.

Thing is the times is considered a bit more credible than the Sun or other tabloid press... and besides if Somyot says otherwise it probably means its worth paying attn to.

I expect the Parry had a proper long chat with the taxibike and a lot more questions...

Seems the bike taxi guy is really saying the police didnt ask anywhere near enough questions ... unsurprisingly.

Do you remember what you did 6 months ago at a certain time of the day?

i was in Cowboy with Nok...

Police refute that a journalist was able to make better headway in the investigation than they had. What does that mean, the police are incompetent, or they are covering up something seriously nasty.....

Most likely you are right on both accounts. We know they are incompetent. And if they are covering something up they will do a terrible job of it but probably still get away with it by dragging it out as long as possible or until the next event This current turn of events must seem like a god sent to the cops down in Koa Tao.

The Times reporter Parry, during his investigating journalism would as per norm of his job, rewarded the driver for his answers. The taxi driver would give postive answers when he knew the, but would never loose face by saying "I dont know" to the ones he did not know. Better he gave an answer , "The police did not ask me that.etc." The police are chasing lead here, else why do they have a copy of this suspect passport. They are, at last, trying to keep matters on "needs to know" basis now...something they have been criticized for not doing in the past.

'The Times are no different to any other newspaper in the world, tabloid or broadsheet, and know that they are in the business of selling newspapers. Sensationalism sells. Who owns The Times? Who owned the most honest newspaper in the world.. The News of the World? On a more positive note, the fact that the Thai authorities had a copy of

R.L Parry...."is a British foreign correspondent and writer. He is the Asia Editor of The Times of London, based in Tokyo".

One would expect he has a fair degree of journalistic ethics and professionalism.

Both taxi drivers said they were shown a passport.

If true, it means the police do suspect this guy and know his nationality....perhaps the basis for them being so sure he's not Thai.

One possible reason they are not disclosing that they have a real suspect could be that they are waiting for foreign police to nab the guy and don't want to alert him or his cohorts that the net is closing.

One question I have is how did the taxi driver remember the name on the passport? [...]

“When the police showed me the pictures, I recognised him immediately,”

Where do you see that the guy said he recognized/remembered the name?

The report is that upon seeing the passport, the driver recognized the individual. I would think by his photo, not his name. Once recognized, of course, the name is there on the passport for reference.

did everybody see the video of the BBC reporter trying to give bomb fragments he found to the Thai police?

they would not accept them.

In 1969, during the Charles Manson murders in Los Angeles, a 8 year old boy gave a gun he found to the LAPD. He told them it was part of the Manson murders because it was found near the house.

the gun was locked for two years and nothing was done, no report filed.

it was only until a next door neighbor of the 8 year old boy who was a big LA reporter started asking questions that the gun was found to be one of the murder weapons. The LAPD had the murder weapon the whole time, were told what it was, and did nothing.

One the very first day, when a young LAPD officer saw the words "helter skelter" written in blood on the walls, he told his superior officers it was a reference to a Beatles song. They did not listen to him.

This became the basis of the entire motive for the killings.

so sometimes hard to know where stupid ends and conspiracy begins.

Edited by NCC1701A

" “I said: ‘I’m 100 percent sure'. They asked me some questions, but not many. It’s strange.

Whether it's right or wrong strange that they don't bother to ask questions to their number one witness the taxi driver.

This is NOT the number one witness. This is a completely different driver who said he drove a guy who looked like the guy in the passport, but on eight days in February. He did not say he drove the backpack guy anywhere that night. So they've basically confirmed that a guy that looked like the guy in the passport was in that area before. But not that the guy in the passport looked like the backpack guy. The drivers who saw him that night do not seem to have identified this same guy in the passport.

R.L Parry...."is a British foreign correspondent and writer. He is the Asia Editor of The Times of London, based in Tokyo".

One would expect he has a fair degree of journalistic ethics and professionalism.

Both taxi drivers said they were shown a passport.

If true, it means the police do suspect this guy and know his nationality....perhaps the basis for them being so sure he's not Thai.

One possible reason they are not disclosing that they have a real suspect could be that they are waiting for foreign police to nab the guy and don't want to alert him or his cohorts that the net is closing.

One question I have is how did the taxi driver remember the name on the passport? [...]

“When the police showed me the pictures, I recognised him immediately,”

Where do you see that the guy said he recognized/remembered the name?

The report is that upon seeing the passport, the driver recognized the individual. I would think by his photo, not his name. Once recognized, of course, the name is there on the passport for reference.

The police had the passport copy. The writer never had the passport copy and neither did the taxi drivers. So the name could only have come from the drivers remembering it.

They came to that same conclusion in the linked article: "Perry's account appears to rely on spelling seen by the two men on the passport page shown to them. Searching public records finds few references to a Museyin family name, and it could be a possible misspelling of Huseyin, a common name in Turkey."

Need those two drivers who took him to or from that very night to think they had the right guy, and then maybe there's something. Unless they are sitting on that information, that does not seem to have happened. A driver identifying a guy he drove months ago, only means that might have been the guy he drove months ago. It does not them make him the backpack guy just because he looked similar.

In my experience, Thais have an uncanny ability to remember names and faces.

I'm pretty sure that others on this forum would agree with that.

If that driver said he picked up the same guy eight days in a row in February, I believe him.

Whether it's the suspect is another matter.

In my experience, Thais have an uncanny ability to remember names and faces.

I'm pretty sure that others on this forum would agree with that.

If that driver said he picked up the same guy eight days in a row in February, I believe him.

Whether it's the suspect is another matter.

...and the hundreds of innocent people who have been executed as a result of that archaic attitude would beg to disagree.

this from wiki

"

Challenges of identifying faces[edit]

People struggle to identify faces in person or from photos, a difficulty arising from the encoding of faces.[7] When participants were given a basic memory test from an array of photos or a lineup, they struggled to accurately identify the images and had low recognition. This finding provides a starting point for estimating the accuracy of eyewitnesses' identification of others involved in a traumatic event. It can only get more challenging for a person to accurately encode a face when they are experiencing a traumatic event.[7] Because courts rely on eyewitness facial recognition, it is important to acknowledge that identification is not always accurate.[8] Face-specific cognitive and neural processes show contributions to holistic processing and recognition in the episodic memories of eyewitnesses.[9] Unreliability of eyewitness identifications may be a result of mismatching between how faces are holistically processed and how composite systems retrieve features in faces during an event.[10]""

Edited by cumgranosalum

"Outgoing Police Chief" Do you think he really cares?

Thaksin Shinawatra has offered, according to a Facebook post by his son, Panthongtae. Moreover, Panthongtae said his father would provide another Bt5million to officials who contribute to the arrest, if made.

He probably cares...

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/850231-bt10-million-in-reward-offered/

"Outgoing Police Chief" Do you think he really cares?

Thaksin Shinawatra has offered, according to a Facebook post by his son, Panthongtae. Moreover, Panthongtae said his father would provide another Bt5million to officials who contribute to the arrest, if made.

He probably cares...

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/850231-bt10-million-in-reward-offered/

Thaksin also offered a big reward to catch those that burned down Central World coffee1.gif

Thaksin also offered a big reward to catch those that burned down Central World

They haven't printed enough money to make me rat those guys out. I doubt I'd live long enough live to spend the first baht.

But a lone wolf foreigner? I'd be pleased to rat him out. For free. (Though 5 mil would be a nice little bonus)

Edited by impulse

I wonder if anyone could pass this tips to the police to help them in their investigation. What they need to do is to get back to retrieve digital images from (1) At the scene vicinity of the bomb site for the past three weeks on daily basis

(2) Let special police investigators analyse the images on daily basis for the past two weeks

(3) Let them match images of any similarities together.

(4) While doing this, the police should not look out for a single person but a group of 2, 3, or 4,who has visited the shrine more than one time within the last one or two weeks.

I'm sure, there must have been people who came to survey the site one day, two days,3, 4, 5 days before the day. It could be one, or two weeks earlier.

Let them do the same thing around the areas they suspected the guy lives. This could be cumbersome but it will surely yield results.

did everybody see the video of the BBC reporter trying to give bomb fragments he found to the Thai police?

they would not accept them.

In 1969, during the Charles Manson murders in Los Angeles, a 8 year old boy gave a gun he found to the LAPD. He told them it was part of the Manson murders because it was found near the house.

the gun was locked for two years and nothing was done, no report filed.

it was only until a next door neighbor of the 8 year old boy who was a big LA reporter started asking questions that the gun was found to be one of the murder weapons. The LAPD had the murder weapon the whole time, were told what it was, and did nothing.

One the very first day, when a young LAPD officer saw the words "helter skelter" written in blood on the walls, he told his superior officers it was a reference to a Beatles song. They did not listen to him.

This became the basis of the entire motive for the killings.

so sometimes hard to know where stupid ends and conspiracy begins.

Well right now, we are the point of a foreign bloke with a fake Turkish passport, but apparently it wasn't an international attack.

Presumably the bloke did it because he forgot to trade in his 7-11 coupons before the promo ended. A completely domestic problem....