Foreigner robbed and beaten on Asoke Montri in Bangkok

webfact

Foreigner robbed and beaten on Asoke Montri
By Coconuts Bangkok

victim1.jpg
Photo: Koa Andaman

BANGKOK: -- A Thai man is seeking justice for the foreigner who was allegedly robbed and beaten by three men on Asok Montri road Saturday night.

Facebook user Koa Andaman released photos of the foreigner he found bleeding opposite the GMM Grammy Building early Saturday morning.

Koa said he was on his way home when he saw an injured foreigner and immediately called police and rescue volunteers to help the man.

"I was on my way home from work when I found a farang covered in blood," Koa wrote. "Media, please spread the words and I hope the police locate the robbers soon to bring back tourist confidence."

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/08/24/foreigner-robbed-and-beaten-asoke-montri

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-08-24

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was obviously considered for a mugging as I came out of Bangkok Bank Emporium branch yesterday. I was in there about 30 minutes, came out and headed to the BTS staircase by Benjasiri park carrying a bag with my passport, bank book etc but no cash. As I was walking underneath the stairs to go up I noticed some shifty looking local guy was following me about a metre behind me, I sensed him so I stopped to let him past me. My girlfriend commented that he looked pretty dodgy and I agreed so we waited a few seconds and carried on. He was waiting for me at the bottom of the BTS steps. As I approached he moved out into my path so me and the gf both stopped and just looked at him (we commented/joked later that we both had a defiant/aggressive expression of "well come on then, if you're going to try and rob us then get on with it").

He stared at us a couple of seconds and turned his back and jogged off into Benjasiri Park. Very dodgy, almost certainly waiting outside for someone to leave the bank.

Not sure what happened to this guy on Asoke, but don't assume if you're doing nothing wrong then nothing will happen, especially in the current economic climate.

I was obviously considered for a mugging as I came out of Bangkok Bank Emporium branch yesterday. I was in there about 30 minutes, came out and headed to the BTS staircase by Benjasiri park carrying a bag with my passport, bank book etc but no cash. As I was walking underneath the stairs to go up I noticed some shifty looking local guy was following me about a metre behind me, I sensed him so I stopped to let him past me. My girlfriend commented that he looked pretty dodgy and I agreed so we waited a few seconds and carried on. He was waiting for me at the bottom of the BTS steps. As I approached he moved out into my path so me and the gf both stopped and just looked at him (we commented/joked later that we both had a defiant/aggressive expression of "well come on then, if you're going to try and rob us then get on with it").

He stared at us a couple of seconds and turned his back and jogged off into Benjasiri Park. Very dodgy, almost certainly waiting outside for someone to leave the bank.

Not sure what happened to this guy on Asoke, but don't assume if you're doing nothing wrong then nothing will happen, especially in the current economic climate.

Why would the desperate not contemplate it when they know they will get little more than a slap on the wrist. It's surprising that it doesn't happen more frequently.

Even the beggars ( ie those who the govt was said to have moved into care some months ago and created a beggar free Bangkok) are cursing non givers these days. Soi 11 a case in point.

sure you haven't been watching the godfather too many times ..... whistling.gif

Could it be that guy fancied you or the GF? what?... just asking....

Nice one whistling.gif I was expecting some smartass comments from the usual TV bellends but expected better than that...

Just a warning for people, they can ignore it if they like. I've been full time in BKK 7 years now and that was the first time I've felt like I was being sized up for a robbery. GF felt exactly the same thing. This was 1pm in the afternoon.

Could it be that guy fancied you or the GF? what?... just asking....

Quite possibly, I am devilishly attractive but normally find these types are attracted to the type of mincer that rides a Vespa laugh.png

Why do people think the guy was drunk or anything else , we live in a violent world whether it be in Asia , Europe or the America's well done to the Thai gentleman who assisted this poor guy at least there are still some decent human beings around who are prepared to help those in need.

I was obviously considered for a mugging as I came out of Bangkok Bank Emporium branch yesterday. I was in there about 30 minutes, came out and headed to the BTS staircase by Benjasiri park carrying a bag with my passport, bank book etc but no cash.

Why in the world would you carry such important things in a bag which could be snatched, dropped, etc.?

Carry them in your front or thigh velcro-sealed or zippered pockets (not back pockets). If you don't have pants or shorts with sealable pockets, get some!

I have a very similar story that took place Friday night where I ended up pretty bloody. I am just now feeling better. I am planning to write the story and post it tonight as a warning for others. I was also at Asoke-Montri. I was viciously attacked. The robber had at least one accomplice around the corner. I certainly was not drunk. I had my two and a half year old son with me when it took place. We happened to be walking to buy him some milk from 7-11. I will link the post here.

I can certainly appreciate the gravity of this guy's situation.

maybe he just stood up for himself once he realized how much they padded his bill at soi cowboy. Try walking into one of the 7 or more bars owned by the Arab guy there and buying a drink or 2 for yourself and a lady and see what kind of bill you get stuck with when you try to leave.

I have heard of many customers getting beaten severely and worse but somehow it never gets reported. Why is that? You here about security beating customers in Pattaya and other places quite often, but never in Bkk. I have seen it countless times but never hear about it after that.

No journalists in Bkk? Or does the Tea money also cover censorship of the news?

Please don't blame this on Prayut of Junta either as it has been going on unreported for decades.

Same thing happened to be a few months back.Walked past Central World it was 1.30 pm very busy.Stopped to buy an orange juice.Some homeless guy in shorts open shirt no shoes came down the steps and followed me and then closed in to a about a metre behind me.I moved over and he passed i got to the end of road to turned right towards Siam BTS..I clocked him out to my left standing at the corner, sensed he was up to no good and when i glanced back he had a picked up a massive brick(see pict the guy in it is not the perp .took it from sky walk ) and was coming at me.I turned and he stopped and started shouting.I quickly moved up to about a foot from him and managed to grad the brick which was one of the kerb stones and push him back.he dropped the brick and I retreated fast and when i looked again he had lifed a a stick from behind the pillars holding the sky train..By that time i was up the steps and he yelled some more but by then i was well on my way into the shopping mall.Scary stuff.

I reackon he had placed the stone there and the stick and was waiting for a victim.He probably saw me pay for the orange juice though i did not see him at that point.Then followed me to hit me on the head and rob me.

If i had not turned around a 100% certain would have had that on my head.With hindsight should have dropped him on the spot but happend so quick and if i had could have ended much worse so i licked my pride and got over it.did the right thing beating a retreat,

Nice one whistling.gif I was expecting some smartass comments from the usual TV bellends but expected better than that...

Just a warning for people, they can ignore it if they like. I've been full time in BKK 7 years now and that was the first time I've felt like I was being sized up for a robbery. GF felt exactly the same thing. This was 1pm in the afternoon.

post-22599-0-82025700-1440405020_thumb.j

Dressed, or actually 'undressed' such as he is in this photo, is hardly "doing nothing wrong" .. he's a scumbag in the country with zero respect for anything.

We all have just to learn: Thailand and especially Bangkok and Pattaya are far from beeing save places anymore..... years ago yes it was and i felt always save, now i like to wear an electro shocker or a gun to protect myself and get a feeling of saver!!!!

Smileing Thailand and their people friendly and helpful is just a fairy tale and all travel books have to be written in a new style: AYOR!

For the various posters above suggesting some connection between this guy's misfortune and some possible/guessed connection with Soi Cowboy...

The GMM Building location mentioned in the OP article where the guy was initially found is quite a long ways up Asoke from Soi Cowboy...

It's not like someone would wander out of Soi Cowboy, and then walk a bit and end up opposite GMM. It's a good hike further up the road.

Dressed, or actually 'undressed' such as he is in this photo, is hardly "doing nothing wrong" .. he's a scumbag in the country with zero respect for anything.

Have you considered his shirt may have been ripped off in the assault?