Good Samaritan gives money reward to Chiang Mai bag snatcher

webfact

Good Samaritan gives money reward to bag snatcher
The Nation

Chiang Mai - A good Samaritan, a 50-year-old tuktuk driver, gave the money reward he got for foiling a bag snatching to the snatcher after his arrest.

Withoon Wattanakitworakul gave Bt2,000 he got in a ceremony Monday to the suspect, Thanawat Saensuwan, after he heard why the young man had to commit the crime.

Thanawat was arrested at 2:30 pm Sunday after police checked the license plate of the bag snatcher's motorcycle as seen on CCTVs and found out that the motorcycle belongs to him.

At 3:30 pm on Thursday, Thanawat allegedly snatched a bag from the front basket of a motorcycle ridden by a female Chinese tourist.

The tourist ran after him and called for help, prompting Withoon to run after the motorcycle being ridden by Thanawat. Seeing Withoon running behind him, Thanawat left the bag on a roadside and fled.

Police later checked feeds from security cameras and saw the license plate of the motorcycle and traced to Thanawat.

Thanawat told police that he committed the crime for the first time because he needed money to take his ill daughter, who is only 15 months old, to see doctor. He said his wife has just been unemployed. Thanawat said his salary as a janitor is not enough for covering the medical bill for his daughter.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Good-Samaritan-gives-money-reward-to-bag-snatcher-30268321.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-07

I thought medical care was very cheap or free for Thais, if they use local hospital.

I thought that also, but then it was explained to me that this 30 baht deal only works in the district or province they are registered in, which many thais are obviously not living or working in, so for an awful lot of the population unusable,

Atleast thats how it was explained to me.

I thought medical care was very cheap or free for Thais, if they use local hospital.

I thought that also, but then it was explained to me that this 30 baht deal only works in the district or province they are registered in, which many thais are obviously not living or working in, so for an awful lot of the population unusable,

It also doesn't cover everything such as certain tests and medicines.

So they should re-register where they are living? Is that too difficult when living in a rented room, or are they're just lazy with their "mai pen rai" attitude?

Edited by MESmith

So they should re-register where they are living? Is that too difficult when living in a rented room, or are they're just lazy with their "mai pen rai" attitude?

I questioned that also but received no answer, maybe they just consider themselves a transient work force, of course it could also be the mai pen rai thing,

Whatever the reason its a large part of the population.

Presumably Withoon Wattanakitworakul knows a lot more about the circumstances of transient internal-migrant workers and the background of this specific individual than the news tells us, or we know from our own partial/limited knowledge.

Believe it or not folks, but many good Thai people take the forgiveness/compassion component of Buddhism very seriously.

I'm sure Withoon (who helped two people - the victim of the attempted theft and the would be thief) knows exactly what he is doing.

Presumably Withoon Wattanakitworakul knows a lot more about the circumstances of transient internal-migrant workers and the background of this specific individual than the news tells us, or we know from our own partial/limited knowledge.

Believe it or not folks, but many good Thai people take the forgiveness/compassion component of Buddhism very seriously.

I'm sure Withoon (who helped two people - the victim of the attempted theft and the would be thief) knows exactly what he is doing.

"... knows exactly what he is doing."

Are you implying that TV isn't the hub of omniscience?

why did they give birth to a daughter if they can't support her?! for other people to support her? government? Chinese tourists?

pure irresponsibility...

...... maybe also simple mindedness on your part...... Did it not say that the wife was recently unemployed ? Maybe all are not as fortunate as you in that, when employment or financial circumstances suddenly change, have all the moola that they may need. To me your thought process is a calloused way of thinking. The snatcher's thinking was definitely wrong, but I can understand why he did it. I do applaud the Chinese woman for giving the reward and again applaud the tuk tuk man for his compassionate act. For you I offer sympathy. Perhaps you don't know what it is to look into the eyes of your suffering child who desperately needs help and you being not able to provide it. The snatcher was wrong, but if I were in that circumstance, I pray that I would have the courage to do likewise.

why did they give birth to a daughter if they can't support her?! for other people to support her? government? Chinese tourists?

pure irresponsibility...

...... maybe also simple mindedness on your part...... Did it not say that the wife was recently unemployed ? Maybe all are not as fortunate as you in that, when employment or financial circumstances suddenly change, have all the moola that they may need. To me your thought process is a calloused way of thinking. The snatcher's thinking was definitely wrong, but I can understand why he did it. I do applaud the Chinese woman for giving the reward and again applaud the tuk tuk man for his compassionate act. For you I offer sympathy. Perhaps you don't know what it is to look into the eyes of your suffering child who desperately needs help and you being not able to provide it. The snatcher was wrong, but if I were in that circumstance, I pray that I would have the courage to do likewise.

if you loose your job - you use money that you saved in the bank.

you don't save money? and your salary is not enough to support you, your wife and kid if your wife loose a job? simple answer: don't make children! condoms are very cheap now

but some people prefer rely on someone else resources, like in US when women junkies make 6 kids and live on on expense of taxpayers who can't afford to have kids.

if you don't have enough money to support a kid - you don't deserve to have kids

but from your nickname I assume you prefer leftist-hippie-junky position: "those who succeed must pay for those who are too lazy and incompetent to support themselves"

Edited by TimmyT

pure irresponsibility...

Alot of us here have fallen on hard times. But speaking for myself it did not make me go out & steal from someone who maybe in the same situation. Why reward a theif. What happens next time when he runs out of money, will he hold someone up with a gun or knife. If they resist will he kill them. There are ways for him to get help, but he took the easy option of taking something that belongs to another person. He did wrong so why reward this criminal act. Lock him up. Who will help his family then?

pure irresponsibility...

you don't save money? and your salary is not enough to support you, your wife and kid if your wife loose a job? simple answer: don't make children! condoms are very cheap now

but some people prefer rely on someone else resources, like in US when women junkies make 6 kids and live on on expense of taxpayers who can't afford to have kids.

if you don't have enough money to support a kid - you don't deserve to have kids

but from your nickname I assume you prefer leftist-hippie-junky position: "those who succeed must pay for those who are too lazy and incompetent to support themselves"

Good answer from a textbook position...... but grow up and join the real world.....You may have heard.... all children are not planned.

Good answer from a textbook position...... but grow up and join the real world.....You may have heard.... all children are not planned.

kids are not planned if their parents are completely under control of their instincts and don't use their brain. like apes, for example.

whose fault it is? certainly not taxpayer's who is forced to pay for these mistakes by left liberal western governments.

people should be 100% responsible for their actions or declared as legally incapable and placed in mental hospital.

pure irresponsibility...

In the same register, since you mentioned Gonzo the Face nicknames, your comment "why did they give birth to a daughter if they can't support her?! for other people to support her? government? Chinese tourists?pure irresponsibility..."fits perfectly with your charming avatar, no doubt you are consistent thumbsup.gif

I see this topic has brought out Thaivisa's finest.... not going to be dragged into that.

If not in own province - 30 Baht health-care cannot be used without referral from doctor in own province. I know this as my daughter has a heart condition. She was born at Sripat and the heart condition was detected at the government wing of the hospital when there for her first vaccines. I had to pay for the first scan as she is registered in a Tabien Baan in Lamphun. Now we have the choice of visiting Lamphun hospital to get a referral to get annual scans, or paying 4500B to go private.

As for workers from other provinces, they will most likely be in rented accommodation. I don't know of a landlord who would let a tenant be registered on the Tabien Baan, therefore the registration stays in home province. Access to the 30 Baht scheme in Chiang Mai is therefore not possible.

The 30B scheme is fairly reasonable and an informed person would utilise it for its benefits and supplement it with further care privately. I certainly do given the taxes I pay in this country.

pure irresponsibility...

It's even more regrettable that your parents didn't choose termination.

why? because my parents were able to raise me, give me an education without asking for support from the government or stealing someone's bag?

or because I am saying something you don't like?

pure irresponsibility...

It's even more regrettable that your parents didn't choose termination.

why? because my parents were able to raise me, give me an education without asking for support from the government or stealing someone's bag?

or because I am saying something you don't like?

No, I don't think it is anything he doesn't like...... it may be more to the fact that, yes your parents raised you and paid for an education, but more to the lack of sympathy, and comnpassion that one should have towards your fellow man when in need, that you do seem to be lacking. Either your parents were not able to instill this in you or you were just not able to pick it up..... either way you are the one who falls short and looses. ...... as I predict will be made evident by your , no doubt, mandatory retort.