Elton John: I want to meet Putin over gay rights

Lite Beer

Elton John: I want to meet Putin over gay rights

LONDON: -- Sir Elton John says he wants to meet Vladimir Putin to discuss what he called the Russian president's "ridiculous" attitude to gay rights.

A report by Human Rights Watch last year said Russia was failing to prevent and prosecute homophobic violence amid a rise in attacks against minorities.

Speaking to the BBC, Sir Elton said he would welcome talks with Mr Putin even though "he may laugh behind my back... and call me an absolute idiot".

The musician is currently in Ukraine.
He met Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko and called for the country to give stronger support to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans-sexual (LGBT) community.
Sir Elton also met with business leaders to call on them to not turn away LGBT employees.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34235739

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-09-13

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Putin. These days anything involving this kind of thing, is a danger to our children.

Your reason being...?

You know what I mean,,,, As for being called a bigot, The boot is well and truly on the other foot. Elton John, nothing but a good for nothing pop singer,thats all.

I agree with Putin. These days anything involving this kind of thing, is a danger to our children.

Your reason being...?

You know what I mean,,,, As for being called a bigot, The boot is well and truly on the other foot. Elton John, nothing but a good for nothing pop singer,thats all.

Good for a few million I would say. I wish I was a few bob behind him.

Your reason being...?

Intolerance of intolerance is not intolerance.

It would be a fascinating conversation. Elton: why don't you show some kindness and respect to the gay population? Do you realize how difficult it is, to live in such oppressive conditions? Putin: I have more power than the Czars used to have. I have a hundred times the fortune that any of them had. I am worth over $40 billion US. My people love and worship me. Have you seen my latest poll results, that I sponsored? 88% favorability. I am untouchable. And I hate you people. You are perverts. I actually dabbled a bit as a kid. But, it is not my chosen path these days. I prefer my extremists to my eccentrics and my gays. Look if I am willing to cripple my own economy over ideology, what makes you think I would listen to you? So, go back to your home and take your soapbox with you. We are not open for discussions.

Your reason being...?

Bigots need no reason.

Elton John is getting feisty in his old age. Good for him.

Bet he wouldn't call Rootin' Tootin' Shootin' Putin a bigot to his face. He would get Reggie in a death hold...

He just might. You never know. I doubt Putin is actually so stupid as to be a bigot but instead cynically uses the population's hatred of gay people for his political benefit.

Even some big Nazi leaders didn't hate Jews but saw the political benefit in using them as scapegoats.

Edited by Jingthing

The problem with gays is that they don't want to just be free to enjoy life without persecution, they want to be free to promote homosexuality like it's some magical club.[/quote

Maybe you could meet Putin to discuss human rights, second thoughts, no.

He just might. You never know. I doubt Putin is actually so stupid as to be a bigot but instead cynically uses the population's hatred of gay people for his political benefit.

Even some big Nazi leaders didn't hate Jews but saw the political benefit in using them as scapegoats.

Quite, as did Stalin. Good reply, by the way.?

The problem with gays is that they don't want to just be free to enjoy life without persecution, they want to be free to promote homosexuality like it's some magical club.

I have never seen gayety "promoted" I have seen gay themes promoting Abercrombie and Fitch ....the "magical club" is your personal bent. Perhaps you can show an example of such promotion.

All the endless heterosexual promotion we all see daily won't ever prevent GLBT from existing. You don't become gay or straight based on promotion. Of course throughout history and many places now gay people have played pretend straight lives to avoid persecution.

Not that Putin might have more pressing meetings sceduled but listening to an old bloke that looks like a scientific accident in which the DNA of Margaret Thatcher was mixed with Marty Feldman's, whining about gay rights in a world that is falling apart with every passing minute... coffee1.gif

Your reason being...?

Intolerance of intolerance is not intolerance.

That all depends on who is determining what intolerance is.

I can say something offends me, but you can say it shouldn't, so therefore, I should not be offended.

Again, the double-standards and hypocrisy. The so-called tolerant showing their intolerance.

I have a great YT vid that I'd like to post showing the "Gay" community chasing Christians out of a "gay" neighborhood, for no reason other than they were praying and handing out bibles, but it would probably get pulled. The "Gay" men became violent, yelled vile things, told them to "stay out of our neighborhood" etc...

Who was being intolerant there?

Your reason being...?

Bigots need no reason.

Elton John is getting feisty in his old age. Good for him.

I agree that bigots need no reason.

But who cares what Elton John, or any public entertainer, sportsman or so called film star thinks?

These people make vast fortunes, very nice for them. But their opinion is of no more consequence than anyone else's. Once their career is in twilight they all want to be politicians, goodwill ambassadors or some such to fuel their flagging egos.

I doubt Putin would give him the old queen the time of day.

I suppose a distorted image of the world could include:

Broken, straight marriages, with children involved, seems to be a danger.

Rapes by straights, commited against children, seems to be a danger.

Child abuse by straights seem to be a danger.

The selling of addictive drugs by straights to children, seems to be a danger.

Drunk driving by straights, with children in the car, seems to be a danger.

There are greater dangers to children than "this kind of thing".

I have found that some who "cry foul" and "protect the children" are sometimes the monster in the closet themselves.

Mr. Putin can do as he pleases, since he seems to be in control of Russia, which appears to be marching backwards to totalitarianism.

All the endless heterosexual promotion we all see daily won't ever prevent GLBT from existing. You don't become gay or straight based on promotion. Of course throughout history and many places now gay people have played pretend straight lives to avoid persecution.

I disagree, The whole thing has got out of hand, Now we must protect our children from this mental disorder.