Interview about new Chiangmai Immigration office

RxDan

Before people start writing to their consul or embassy about the situation at the local CM Immigration office perhaps they ought to do some research as to how temporary migrants are treated in their own country and this may modify their tone and or expected level of response.

Irish Ctizens may want to note that it is not unusual for several hundred people (including elderly and children) to wait overnight in Dublin...outside...in the rain or worse.

Those at the top of the queue camped out overnight, arriving at 12am to ensure they would receive one of the sought-after tickets from the GNIB office.

The issue of the length of queues has been on ongoing source of controversy as people are forced to stand on the street for hours, with some turned away and told to return the following day in the event of the office closing.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/garda-measures-aim-to-tackle-long-visa-queues-1.2369711

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/hundreds-queue-overnight-irish-visas-6515289

UK Citizens may want to chase up about the registration/reporting issues

­ We do not operate an appointment system it is first come, first served. It may not always be possible to see everybody waiting in the queue due to the sheer volume of people you may be asked to return the following day.

Presently we are experiencing an extremely high level of demand. This is resulting in very long queues outside the Overseas Visitors Registration Office. Please ensure that you bring suitable clothing and refreshments to make your wait as comfortable as possible.

https://www.west-midlands.police.uk/advice-centre/help-and-advice/overseas-visitor-registration/index.aspx

Australian Citizens may want to look at the processing times for a Retirement Visa (405 Temporary) requiresa 500k AUD investment and you must be over 55 etc etc and certainly takes several weeks if not months when you take into account health, character and state sponsorship arrangements.....certainly not knocked off in a day or two like CM.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/405-

Decency and the need to keep posts below best seller length precludes me from commenting on US Immigration treatment of lawful prospective temporary migrants. I understand the Donald has a few ideas to improve the service though.

How many complained about the treatment of temporary migrants in their own country when they were there?

If governments work on elements of equity in treatment of foreign nationals (and that is what we are here) then perhaps it might be quicker and easier to have your own government address how it treats people before having their representatives in Thailand press for a much higher standard.

We have a dream situation here and if they actually examined the visa the situation could be far worse or better (less applicants for one leading to quicker processing).The 800k baht has not changed for eons, is not really investigated, and there are agents/companies who will work around this. God knows what would happen if this were increased or policed/assessed properly or other changes such as health or character, like criminal checks as most countries do for long term residents.

Dealing with Thai immigration in a retiree capacity is an absolute doddle compared to many (read most) western countries.

By all means complain but please have realistic expectations.

"We have a dream situation here." Huh?? I don't think so. You may be confusing a nightmare with a dream. I don't believe expats have any unrealistic expectations from immigration. They are only asking to be able to report to immigration at a reasonable time and be processed in a timely manner. This is not rocket science.

Thailand is a pleasant country for expats to retire to. However, the negative stories coming out of immigration is an eye opener and totally unnecessary.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it reflects the reality of living here, if you compare the Imm. experience with other encounters like banking and med, dental services... stagering levels of courtesy, we get spoiled. I have so few complaints other than Imm. .... tongue.png

When i applied for my 1 Year Visa from the Thailand Embassy in Canberra Australia

They received my application on a Thursday at 1 30 PM

I had both ways tracking numbers via Australia Post

I was advised via email it will take 5 working day

Stone the crows

It was posted at 12 30 Pm the following day Friday

At least i can give a compliment to the Thailand Embassy in Canberra Australia

Maybe they wanted me here?

I guess different people different attitude

Here it is probably just a job

Thai immigration in CM is not solely set up for expat retirees.

Of course not, but why make it so difficult for the sector of foreigners who spend significant money here and are more aged?

Why not make the backpackers wait in line at 4:30am to do their tourist visa extension? They're young mostly and should take to that like a duck to water.

Thai immigration in CM is not solely set up for expat retirees.

Of course not, but why make it so difficult for the sector of foreigners who spend significant money here and are more aged?

Why not make the backpackers wait in line at 4:30am to do their tourist visa extension? They're young mostly and should take to that like a duck to water.

Sorry, I meant that with limited resources they may allocate staff to more pressing needs that cannot be put off, as an example having to place more staff at airport for increased arrivals for tourist season/Chinese etc, or having to now under the junta look at illegal workers quicker and detain and remove them quicker, or cases like our recent Irish national selling grass on Line, or the married German selling narcotics. Some things you cannot plan surge wise and you do not want the expense of extra staff all year round.

Now that you have solved the issue with the backpacker substitution perhaps move on to the coloureds, catholics and Jews...and maybe have "for white use only" stencilled on the chairs....

Edited by mamborobert

TheAppletons, you might be skating close to the line on that one, but even if you are suggesting some form of wrongdoing surely now is the time to address that with new Thai anti corruption body rather than consulates or embassies and presumably you have evidence of the secondary income statement? Myself I just put it down to incompetence in general and that expats are not a priority.....and I like that for the most part.

Differential treatment in immigration offices within a country is not in itself unusual. Hell, look at the different deals Thai consulates will do abroad.

Thai immigration in CM is not solely set up for expat retirees. They have other tasks as well and no doubt like all agencies worldwide prioritise and some people unfortunately are not the priority. If you think it is shady deal issues then now is the time to write to the good General with your evidence.

I have not seen any evidence before and presume this secondary income argument is not being advanced formerly by say the Expat Club to consulates or Thai immigration?

I don't think anyone is making any accusations, but politely enquiring as to who owns the visa agent next to immigration on Promenada.

While at the US Consulate Bldg in Chiang Mai to get my income verification letter for my upcoming renewal of my retirement visa, I asked the Vice Consul there if he knew about the ongoing problems at the immigration office at Promenada. He said he knew somewhat about what was going on and then asked me if I had sent an email to the US Consulate in Chiang Mai addressing my concerns and complaints. He also said that if I knew anyone else who was having problems or difficulties at the immigration office at Promenada, to have them send an email to the US Consulate in Chiang Mai addressing their concerns or complaints. The vice consul who signed my income verification letter and who told me to send an email has a last name of Reynolds.I can't read his first name but it looks like it could be Ryan or Evan or maybe Bryan. The email address for non-immigrant visa services for the Consular Section is [email protected]. The email address for American Citizen Services is [email protected].

Who owns the visa agencies & more importantly who controls them may warrant an investigation.

Probable outcome - all are ethical.

Investigation concludes in one day.

Case closed.

who owns or controls does not answer the issue, think a bit more, it is not difficult

While at the US Consulate Bldg in Chiang Mai to get my income verification letter for my upcoming renewal of my retirement visa, I asked the Vice Consul there if he knew about the ongoing problems at the immigration office at Promenada. He said he knew somewhat about what was going on and then asked me if I had sent an email to the US Consulate in Chiang Mai addressing my concerns and complaints. He also said that if I knew anyone else who was having problems or difficulties at the immigration office at Promenada, to have them send an email to the US Consulate in Chiang Mai addressing their concerns or complaints. The vice consul who signed my income verification letter and who told me to send an email has a last name of Reynolds.I can't read his first name but it looks like it could be Ryan or Evan or maybe Bryan. The email address for non-immigrant visa services for the Consular Section is [email protected]. The email address for American Citizen Services is [email protected].

There you have it -- the American Consulate, at least, wants to hear from its citizens about the treatment they receive at Immigration Promenada. Specifics -- what time you arrived, what time you were served, when your passport was actually returned, where you treated politely? What date you went and service you needed. <email removed>

The vice-consuls name is Ryan Reynolds, his boss's name is Jane Houston, the Consul General is Michael Heath

Folks from other countries --- don't you think your Consulates and Embassies also want to hear from you, too?

I've emailed several consulates and embassies recently. If enough people complain about the very poor retirement visa service at Chiang Mai Immigration, it will reach critical mass and the consulates and embassies will react.

In fact, I know that there has been at least one official meeting about the mounting number of complaints. No doubt Immigration made a few feeble excuses and hopes that, if they do nothing, things will die down and they can continue to be wilfully, but profitably, incompetent.

Therefore, it is essential for all affected retirees to encourage their diplomatic reps to hold the Immigration manager's feet to the fire!

There you have it -- the American Consulate, at least, wants to hear from its citizens about the treatment they receive at Immigration Promenada. Specifics -- what time you arrived, what time you were served, when your passport was actually returned, where you treated politely? What date you went and service you needed. <email removed>

The vice-consuls name is Ryan Reynolds, his boss's name is Jane Houston, the Consul General is Michael Heath

Folks from other countries --- don't you think your Consulates and Embassies also want to hear from you, too?

The British Embassy doesn't even want to deal with its citizens any more. They prefer to send you off to agents to deal with everything. Maybe that's who CMI are basing their business model on?

I have written to the Australian Ambassador in Bangkok.I sent the letter registered mail as I think emails can get lost amongst all the other stuff that flows through.

I was honest about the situation, did not embellish it in any way. I also added if the Junta were serious about corruption the 500 baht charge with no receipt for a residency letter would be a good place to start.Av 30 letters a day at 500 baht each ,no small change.No where else in the country is this rip off practiced

So come on Aussies get of your bums and act.

Address to

Paul Robilliard

Ambassador

Australian Embassy

37 South Sathorn Rd

BANGKOK