Thaksin tells Thailand's red shirt opposition - 'play dead'... for now

Lite Beer

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, any headline with Thaksin is like a red rag to the TV frothers!

Thing that really irks them is that they know what he said is true; when finally an election is permitted the people will simply reiterate the same message. We want Thaksin!

It seems it's been a while since Taksin was in a headline. When I saw this, I knew there would be spittle flying over half the keyboards and all of the Pinochet screensavers from some elements of TV. More vitriol to come, for sure.

They haven't received more than 48% of the popular vote since polling 56% in 2005. As these figures only include those that actually voted the percentage of the eligible electorate is even less. The Democrats received more of the popular vote in 2007 than TS's PPP.

The 2007 Thai general elections were held on 23 December. This was the first legislative election after the Council for National Security, a military junta, had overthrown Thailand's elected government and abrogated the constitution on September 19, 2006.[1] The junta had canceled general elections scheduled for October 2006 and promised new elections within 12 months. The Constitutional Tribunal then outlawed the Thai Rak Thai party, the largest political party in Thailand, and banned TRT executives from contesting in the elections for five years. After their political party had been dissolved, the former TRT members regrouped under the band of People's Power Party (PPP) led by Samak Sundaravej, the seasoned politician. Following its formation, the junta issued a classified order to suppress the activities of the PPP and to frame it for lèse majesté. The order was leaked to the public, leading to a complaint towards the Election Commission from the PPP. However, the Election Commission dismissed the complaint on the grounds that the Council for National Security (CNS) had granted itself immunity in the 2007 Constitution of Thailand.[2]

The junta deployed 200,000 soldiers and police officers to maintain security and 1,500 officers to supervise after election fraud. Charnchai Silapauaychai, a popular former Democrat Party member from Phrae who switched to the PPP for the 2008 election, was assassinated. Five men, one of them cousin of a powerful Democrat Party MP were arrested, but all denied involvement.[3]

Despite being the junta's target for suppression, the PPP managed to win 233 out of 480 parliamentary seats, close to controlling the majority in the House of Representatives. The Democrat Party came in a distant second with 165 seats, Chart Thai 37, For the Motherland 24, Ruam Jai Thai Chat Pattana 9, the Neutral Democratic Party 7, and Pracharat 5.

By Wikipedia

No idea what you are talking about,hmm Wikipedia has different numbers,also to the guy who said there was no government in 2006 maybe have a look.I wonder about all the Thaksin and redshirt haters,seems like you guys got a brainwash or attitude adjustment.You don't have to be a Thaksin friend or hater,just read the facts,There are more websites in internet but unfortunately they are blocked by the military junta,they will have their reasons why

Clearly you don't. We are discussing popularity and percentage of the vote. Not the number of seats won through constituency votes. The proportional vote is the measure of popularity.

The PPP won the most seats and therefore the election, but they weren't the most popular party and no majority of the electorate, by any measure, voted for the the PTP as claimed by MZurf then or since.

The PPP won the election period

If you add, 'even though they were voted in by a minority of the electorate', then we are in complete agreement.

Thaksin gives the Red Shirts good advice , " Play Dead " , keep your heads down , don't make any trouble .

I think it best for the military junta to continue in government for the foreseeable future, at least all is quiet .

It is a pity about the economy , but we forget that the Baht has been greatly increased in value relative to other currencies since 2006 , which cannot be helping the market .

I recently asked a close yellow-leaning activist friend of mine how any of the proposed reforms are going to change anything, and added that the reds could very well win the next election, whenever that happens to be. He admitted he'd never thought about that and eventually suggested they'd "keep a better eye on em next time". There was a little more to the conversation than that, but what I took away from it was that the goal has always been to prevent reds from holding key positions and was never about eliminating corruption.

So every media outlet in the World that reported it is wrong and some geezer on thaivisa is right? Right...

Congratulations, you have at last made an accurate statement. Thaksin resigned as caretaker PM, his replacement Chitchai Wannasathit was confirmed by the head of state, then Thaksin decided he would like his old job back, but WAS NOT confirmed by the HoS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitchai_Wannasathit

"Wait for the next election" so is there a problem with that? isn't that the way to make change? isn't that the way to rid a nation of a government that is not doing a good job at governance? The problem is that some don't like the idea of elections or equal voting rights and therefor this creates divisions.

Yes, there is a problem with waiting for the next election because nobody knows when (if?) it will take place:-

"The military government has slashed rural subsidies and coup leader and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said this month the next election would not be held until "around" July, 2017,"

However, I agree when you say that that is the way to make change, and in a democracy where elections are held every 4/5 years, that is what happens. (UK now have the Conservatives, before that a Conservative/Lib alliance, before that, Labour)

Unfortunately, at the moment Thailand is in a different position where the the "Thaksin led working class vote buying "Red" party" has been (illegally) ousted by the "middle/upper class protecting their money Army led "Yellow" party". (A bit like Labour/Conservative in the UK and Democrats/Republicans in the US) However, in the aforesaid countries, elections are held freely, and for the most part, free of violence. When the poorest people in the country are given a "carrot" for their vote by one party, would you not think that the other party would offer them two? No, because then they become less poor, and the cost of the carrots would come out of the members of the other parties pockets!

A previous poster had it about right when he said that the bulk of the subsidies never made it to the "poor" farmers - it was swallowed up by corruption before it got to where it was supposed to go - now what a surprise - TIT!

Edited by sambum

I recently asked a close yellow-leaning activist friend of mine how any of the proposed reforms are going to change anything, and added that the reds could very well win the next election, whenever that happens to be. He admitted he'd never thought about that and eventually suggested they'd "keep a better eye on em next time". There was a little more to the conversation than that, but what I took away from it was that the goal has always been to prevent reds from holding key positions and was never about eliminating corruption.

For anyone with an ounce of knowledge about Thailand, I believe this has all been very clear since Suthep came out onto the streets....

Anyone who actually believes they care about stopping corruption etc other than adjusting where it is going is completely naive.

So does that mean no looting, burning cities, threatening neighborhoods to blow up gas trucks, beating people on the streets, driving cars into army riot police, no M79 you know the whole lot. Shit must be mentally stressful for those red shirts.

A lot of people I knew at the time when it went on knew something wrong was going on. It was butchery.

And how did they manifest their concern at the time? I have some sympathy if discretion was the better part of valour given the nature of support for the policy.

Incidentally the problem for those who were opposed (leaving the human rights NGOs on one side) was not the "butchery" but its indiscriminate nature, the reality that kingpins were untouched and police incompetence or worse.

If only drug traffickers had butchered protest would have been completely muted.

Not by me or anyone who respects the rule of law.

Extra judicial murders are wrong no matter who is killed.

I agree with you.Few Thais did, except a handful of honourable souls.Some very influential comments at the time condemned the incompetence but appeared to have no problem with the executions of real drug traffickers.The immorality of the drugs war is however beyond dispute.

You appear to ignore my point that notwithstanding the human rights abuses, there has never been a suggestion even from his bitterest enemies that Thaksin should be charged from this crime.Has it occurred to you why this is so or do you prefer to put it in the "too difficult' tray?

Anyway it is good you respect the rule of law.Perhaps I shouldn't ask whether this extends to treasonably overthrowing a democratically elected government by force of arms?

I have just looked at the HRW report on the subject and I must say it is first class.A reminder to myself and to others that one cannot pick and choose which HRW report one approves of.

Thing that really irks them is that they know what he said is true; when finally an election is permitted the people will simply reiterate the same message. We want Thaksin!

Personally don't have a problem with the electorate voting for thaksin's various parties. It's their vote and they can whatever they want with it.

However articles that hide or lie about the fact he is a fugitive criminal who fled justice annoy me.

He's have my vote too, if he'd only taken cyanide capsules and faced the music.

not to worry folks, TV's resident grammar and general know it all from KPP, will be along soon to explain what the OED or if we are lucky, " wiki" defines as "play dead". Oh the anticipation.

When is a flame not a flame? When you don't actually name the flame-ee ! biggrin.png

Ya know reading the comments here, I just hope the locals have more sense than some of the posters here. The same arguments being rehashed, the same fingers being pointed, the same mistakes being repeated, the same mistrust and anger.

If the locals mirror the views of the 'educated farangs' then clearly any sense of instilling, let alone achieving any form of reconciliation is dead in the water.

Ya think. post-4641-1156694005.gif

Edited by silent

So does that mean no looting, burning cities, threatening neighborhoods to blow up gas trucks, beating people on the streets, driving cars into army riot police, no M79 you know the whole lot. Shit must be mentally stressful for those red shirts.

"Shit must be mentally stressful for those red shirts." Are your opinions always this adult, intelligent, profound and nuancé -- or is this a one-off?

they'll be back for sure... was chatting to a Thai friend only today (graduate of CMU - well travelled etc. etc.) and she knows of no one she's in contact with who supports the Junta and they are all playing "quiet" for now

one thing, she said, is winding up the Thais is these stupid propaganda broadcasts daily. it's not about Thaksin so much but about not being ruled by the Army

Bla bla bla, Hardcore Thaksinistas doing everything the man in Dubai orders, NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES they get screwed over aka brainwashed again and again and again, they'd STILL follow him 4ever.

follow Thaksin forever means: while he has money to hand out!

Possibly a question for another thread but what percentage of the population live in Bangkok. What percentage of tax dollars are spent in Bangkok. Where are most of the rich and elite housed. Maybe a little equalization would be in order. Please Mr. Prayuth give us a new properly staffed immigration building in Chiang Mai with a good expanded online queue system that works. CM is a magnet for expats do yourself proud give us a new building.

Edited by elgordo38