TOT internet outage in Phuket blamed on single exchange failure

Jonathan Fairfield

TOT internet outage in Phuket blamed on single exchange failure

1443582047_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: All TOT customers throughout Southern Thailand, including Phuket, suffered a major internet slowdown yesterday (Sept 29) after a lone fibre-optic exchange server failed in Songkhla.

The drawdown affected only connections to outside Thailand, a staffer at the TOT Customer Service Centre told The Phuket News.

“The slow internet speeds are because of broken exchange server to a fiber-optic cable in Songkhla province. Our staff are working on it now,” the staffer said.

“The exchange failed at about midday, which affected all international connections routed through that locale, but connections to all websites hosted in Thailand remained unaffected.”

Regular service was restored by late afternoon yesterday.

The internet connection failure through a single exchange yesterday came just days after the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) ordered the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (MICT) to take steps to channel all traffic in or out of Thailand through a single gateway.

The NCPO announced that having all internet connections would help the authorities monitor illegal activities and regulate the information, including inappropriate news and social media postings, flowing into the country.

However, the move has drawn heavy criticism from online citizen’s rights groups, which claim that it would greatly infringe on people’s right to privacy, while business interests have expressed concerns over the impact having a single gateway would have on internet connection speeds.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-30

There's already a thread on this one. The problems started on Friday last week and the whole of Thailand was affected. It seems that generally internet speeds to international sites dropped by around 80%. So this server problem is something different or total BS. Take your choice. The conspiracy theory is that it was a trial run of the single gateway idea...........coffee1.gif

I had Tot at my house to check today as the speeds were going up and down like a yoyo .

Guy comes in , cant speak a word of english, tested the line and plugged the router into the connection where it comes into the house outside as well as the sockets inside.

Calls up the wife and tells her its the internal wiring thats got a problem and we need to rewire our internal phone cables !!

Yet as soon as he left the internet was fine for 2 hours and then dropped half speed for 20 minutes !

Now back to normal working speed!!

The house is less than 2 years old and was built to a high standard .blink.png

I had Tot at my house to check today as the speeds were going up and down like a yoyo .

Guy comes in , cant speak a word of english, tested the line and plugged the router into the connection where it comes into the house outside as well as the sockets inside.

Calls up the wife and tells her its the internal wiring thats got a problem and we need to rewire our internal phone cables !!

Yet as soon as he left the internet was fine for 2 hours and then dropped half speed for 20 minutes !

bypass the house wiring and connect the router to the external wires. buy whatever cables you need to hook it up.

then do the test.

bypass the house wiring and connect the router to the external wires. buy whatever cables you need to hook it up.

then do the test.

This is what he done. I then tested the speed after he connected it back up inside the house and it was the same as when he had it to the main wires !

Was talking nonsense just trying to say it was not TOT fault or he was covering up that he had no idea !

then do the test.

This is what he done. I then tested the speed after he connected it back up inside the house and it was the same as when he had it to the main wires !

Was talking nonsense just trying to say it was not TOT fault or he was covering up that he had no idea !

Probably both, covering for TOT and his own inadequacies.

Had them at my place a few times, pretty close to useless.

Last time I had to show the guy why it was the wireless router that was faulty. He couldn't see the problem himself.

then do the test.

Probably both, covering for TOT and his own inadequacies.

Had them at my place a few times, pretty close to useless.

Last time I had to show the guy why it was the wireless router that was faulty. He couldn't see the problem himself.

Chocolate teapot comes to mind !!biggrin.png

I had my internet guy out yesterday too, KPP Rawai Cable who internet is provided by CAT. He changed out a box on the street as he said it was full of water, but that didn't fix the problem. it was fast then slow, fast then slow. I was looking at my router's speed data. He blamed it on me downloading too much! I wasn't amused. I stopped all downloads and FaceBook would barely open after he left. He said play with it and if you still have problems next week call him again. I guess he hadn't read about this other problem going on for two days...

Edited by Jimi007