Birmingham uk Consulate now not issuing 90 day non immigrant visa

Have just phoned Birmingham Thai consulate and have now been told they are no longer issuing 90 non o immigrant visa for over 50. This has changed since June when I was told I needed to provide 3 month bank statements showing income of over £1400 a month I could apply. Only way now I have been told by them is to get tourist visa and then get 90 day non o visa in Thailand and the apply to extend with usual finance requirements.

Please could anyone let me know how I can do this?I do NOT have Thai wife as we are a British married couple both over 50. We have lived in Thailand before when we both had 90 day non immigrant O visa and extended it to one year with requisite funds in my husbands Thai bank account after 2 month seasoning.

I've no personal experience, but I thought a Non 'O' (retirement) was only given to those receiving state pension.

I believe you need to apply for a Non 'O-A'.

That is in relation to a multi-entry NON O for those in receipt of a State Pension.

If single entry NON O visas issued on the basis of being 50+ are now not available from UK Hon.Thai consulates this would indeed be a change.

• Like 2

This is not the first report of the consulate not doing a single entry non-o visa for those under 65.

You only need to get a single entry tourist visa. It would give you plenty of time to apply for a change to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry.

Unless you are going to be living in or near Bangkok you may find it best to go to Vientiane or Penang for the non-o visa.

Bangkok is the only office that can do the change now. But they have authorized a few nearby offices (Jomtien is one) to accept the application. It requires 2 trips to immigration to get the visa/entry stamps.

Also unless both of you are applying for an extension based upon retirement doing the change is not a good option. If one plans on getting a dependent extension they would have to get a non-o visa from one of the locations I mentioned. Immigration will not do the change for a dependent extension. In this case it would be best for both of you out for the non-o visas at the same time.

• Like 1

Just to add to UJ's comment.

If you wish to convert a tourist visa entry to a non "O" entry or to obtain an "O" visa from Laos or Penang one of you would have to be able to demonstrate 800,000 Bht in a Thai Bank or an income, certified by a letter from the British Embassy in Bangkok, of 65,000 Bht/month.

Hi

Just to be clear. If we both get single entry tourist visa we both have to change it to a non O Visa in Bangkok or Vientiane or Penang. We would both have to show 800000 baht in ? Thai bank account? If this is correct we don't have enough funds for 2 lots of 800,000 baht. Also we will find it hard to open bank account with tourist visa. The only way I can see is getting OA visa in Uk, thanks I did check and you are correct need only be over 50. However only one of us qualify regarding funds, and it says spouse will be issued 90 day non visa only. I suppose we could do this route, as my husband will have 1 year Long stay O A, I will the have 90 day non 0, so can open Thai bank account, season with 800000 baht for 2 months to get my extension. Not sure what would happen to our visa situation after 12 months if we can only season again one bank account?

I have just phone again and spoke to a different person who told me exactly the same. If you are not married to Thai national you cannot have 90day non immigrant O visa. Only triple entry tourist visa.

Try another office as some immigration offices incountry refuse to convert a tourist visa entry into a retirement category and require 2 trips to bangkok to do it..

Hi

Just to be clear. If we both get single entry tourist visa we both have to change it to a non O Visa in Bangkok or Vientiane or Penang. We would both have to show 800000 baht in ? Thai bank account? If this is correct we don't have enough funds for 2 lots of 800,000 baht. Also we will find it hard to open bank account with tourist visa. The only way I can see is getting OA visa in Uk, thanks I did check and you are correct need only be over 50. However only one of us qualify regarding funds, and it says spouse will be issued 90 day non visa only. I suppose we could do this route, as my husband will have 1 year Long stay O A, I will the have 90 day non 0, so can open Thai bank account, season with 800000 baht for 2 months to get my extension. Not sure what would happen to our visa situation after 12 months if we can only season again one bank account?

You wouldnt 'change' it in Vientiene or Penang you would be applying for a new non imm O 90 day single entry as those places currently do issue it if you have 800k in a Thai bank (in the name of the applicant IIRC not a joint) so due to timing you would need 800 x 2 simply to show.

If you can get a non imm OA first, you can arrive, get your bank account (not that hard on a tourist visa to be honest) send over the money to season.. One person can extend the year.. Move the money to the second person for their own independent extension or start the process of a dependent application. Both ways should work I think.

Theres quite a few ways to skin this but it would be FAR easier if you arrived into the country with a non imm class (O or OA) first.. And built up from there.. Using a tourist visa just adds another layer of complexity or travel costs.

• Like 1

Hi

You wouldnt 'change' it in Vientiene or Penang you would be applying for a new non imm O 90 day single entry as those places currently do issue it if you have 800k in a Thai bank (in the name of the applicant IIRC not a joint) so due to timing you would need 800 x 2 simply to show.

If you can get a non imm OA first, you can arrive, get your bank account (not that hard on a tourist visa to be honest) send over the money to season.. One person can extend the year.. Move the money to the second person for their own independent extension or start the process of a dependent application. Both ways should work I think.

Theres quite a few ways to skin this but it would be FAR easier if you arrived into the country with a non imm class (O or OA) first.. And built up from there.. Using a tourist visa just adds another layer of complexity or travel costs.

You are wrong.

Only one needs to show the money to get a non-o visa. The other can get a non-o as the dependent of the one showing the money.

Again wrong about both showing the money to get extensions. One can get a dependent extension with no financial proof needed.

Only one would need to get the OA visa which would give a total stay of almost 2 years before an extension would be needed. The other one would get dependent extensions.

• Like 1

I am single man UK citizen 56 years old. My previous non-O for retirement expired while I was out of Thailand so need to apply for new one.

In August I went to Thai embassy in London with my Thai bank passbook showing 800,000 THB fixed deposit for 2 years. I was given 2 options being under 65 years old. (1) complete a set of paperwork including medical certificate and Police record check in order to apply for non-o visa in the UK or (2) take a single entry Tourist visa which can be converted in Thailand to Non-O for retirement assuming other requirements are met.

Hope this helps

I am single man UK citizen 56 years old. My previous non-O for retirement expired while I was out of Thailand so need to apply for new one.

In August I went to Thai embassy in London with my Thai bank passbook showing 800,000 THB fixed deposit for 2 years. I was given 2 options being under 65 years old. (1) complete a set of paperwork including medical certificate and Police record check in order to apply for non-o visa in the UK or (2) take a single entry Tourist visa which can be converted in Thailand to Non-O for retirement assuming other requirements are met.

Hope this helps

You can't converted to a non-O in thailand tried it last year so when home and did the retirement visa

Hope this helps

You can't converted to a non-O in thailand tried it last year so when home and did the retirement visa

Wrong!

It is possible to "convert" an entry obtained from a visa exempt entry or tourist visa in Bangkok.

To do so one requires a minimum of 15 days "permission to stay" remaining and the ability to demonstrate the requirements of an extension stay can be met.

• Like 1

Hope this helps

(1) This would have been a Non 'O-A' not an 'O'.

We have decided to apply in the uk for a O-A Long Stay visa for my husband and as a spouse I will be given a Non O visa at the the same time. I understand that I will then need to apply in Thailand at immigration to then extend this on the back of my husbands OA visa. In reality has anyone done this, and have there been any problems with this route? Many thanks

We have decided to apply in the uk for a O-A Long Stay visa for my husband and as a spouse I will be given a Non O visa at the the same time. I understand that I will then need to apply in Thailand at immigration to then extend this on the back of my husbands OA visa. In reality has anyone done this, and have there been any problems with this route? Many thanks

I am sure many people have gotten the dependent extension since it went into effect a little over a year ago.

The were a few posts of some people having problems when they were first allowed but I am sure that has been sorted out now.

Thanks and I Didn't realise it only came in a year ago. Definitely the way to go for us, as we can sort everything this end and no rush to open bank account and transfer loads Of baht. We still have our old Bangkok Bank account with a few baht in from 18 months ago, but I guess it will be closed by now, also have shredded our bank book and cards. Well we thought we weren't returning!

Possible useful info for your husband in his OA visa quest in this recent thread:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/857491-application-for-thai-non-imm-oa-based-on-retirement-at-british-thai-embassy/

I've no personal experience, but I thought a Non 'O' (retirement) was only given to those receiving state pension.

I believe you need to apply for a Non 'O-A'.

Qualification is to be over 50.

Being over 50 is no guarantee that an "O" visa can be obtained in the UK.

An O/A visa can be applied for by those aged 50+

• Like 1