Yacht carrying American, 2 Britons, Canadian, Filipino goes missing in South China Sea

webfact

Yacht Carrying American, 2 Britons, Canadian, Filipino Goes Missing in South China Sea

MANILA – The Philippine coast guard says a yacht carrying two Britons, an American, a Canadian and a Filipino has gone missing while sailing from Hong Kong to the northwestern Philippines at about the time a storm was affecting the region last week.

Philippine coast guard spokesman Armand Balilo said Tuesday that a search has been launched by Philippine and Hong Kong authorities for the yacht Europa, which left Hong Kong on Thursday and failed to arrive in Subic Bay northwest of Manila as expected over the weekend.

The Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club said an emergency position-indicating radio beacon on the boat was activated Saturday, indicating the vessel was experiencing difficulties.

A Hong Kong aircraft was dispatched and vessels in the area were alerted.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/yacht-carrying-american-2-britons-canadian-filipino-goes-missing-in-south-china-sea.html

-- CHIANGRAI TIMESx 2015-10-07

Yachts encounter problems, but it's very rare for one to disappear - particularly in calm seas. It could have been shot and sunk by Chinese boat.

Did you read the part about the storm in the area?

Yachts encounter problems, but it's very rare for one to disappear - particularly in calm seas. It could have been shot and sunk by Chinese boat.

Rather a silly comment . I live in Guangdong and this storm was incredible, it went from virtually nothing off the east coast of the Philippine to a raging typhoon smashing into China within 57 hours.

Those on the missing yacht would probably had no idea or indication of this storm as it all happened so very quickly.

As Hong Kong is now part of China, why do you suggest their navy was involved ?

Really?? I've worked on the ocean for many years and you may be surprised at how many "seaworthy" vessels in fact are not.

I was "fortunate" enough to be 300 miles into the Southern Ocean when one vessel I was on sprung a massive leak from the main raw water intake. That vessel had been surveyed exactly a week before we left port! (you can't see inside the walls off a pipe!) We made it back to port wit 18 inches of free board to spare

As for your innuendo leveled at China, how about simple piracy. How about A Malaysian airlines flight which was Hijacked by the yanks...oh that's right, that would make me a tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist , as we can only make innuendos against "enemies" of the free world's PO-lice right? Laughable rhetoric

Edited by Unky Dozer

Really?? I've worked on the ocean for many years and you may be surprised at how many "seaworthy" vessels in fact are not.

I was "fortunate" enough to be 300 miles into the Southern Ocean when one vessel I was on sprung a massive leak from the main raw water intake. That vessel had been surveyed exactly a week before we left port! (you can't see inside the walls off a pipe!) We made it back to port wit 18 inches of free board to spare

As for your innuendo leveled at China, how about simple piracy. How about A Malaysian airlines flight which was Hijacked by the yanks...oh that's right, that would make me a tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist , as we can only make innuendos against "enemies" of the free world's PO-lice right? Laughable rhetoric

Even more likely: the violent storm that was raging in the area.

If this had happened in the Andaman Sea, the good general would already have been on TV.

"This is the work of pirates."

"No Thai would do such a thing."

"Information has been received that one of the suspects has a false passport in the name of Captain Jack Sparrow."

"The Royal Thai Navy has been directed to send every vessel into the Andaman Sea to apprehend the criminals and stop the tourist figures going down."

In a further broadcast, the Chief of the Royal Thai Navy announced, "Without our Chinese submarines, it will be very difficult to locate the Black Pearl."