Railway Road v Sukhumvit.

emilymat

I know this issue has been thrashed to death on here but I have a couple of observations.,

I live out by the lake on Soi Siam CC and, Sunday, I had to go and buy a new electric kettle. I decided to go Numchai at the bottom of SCC. Fortunately I decided to go on the m/bike with my backpack, and it's a good job I did. Here are my points;

1. There must have been at least a kilometre of almost stationary traffic on SCC road waiting to get across the Railway Rd. (I suspect it's like that on other parallel roads).

2. Although I was quite able to whizz past all these cars (feeling sorry for the occupants) I was appalled by the actions of some drivers at the crossroads. Some people on the Railway Road just blocked any chance of letting us through - even though the traffic was almost stationary on their road.

3. After I got to Numchai and bought my kettle I sat outside and had a smoke before returning to the fray. To my surprise the traffic on Suk was moving much more freely than the Railway Road. I certainly wouldn't use the Railway to by pass the road works if I wascoming north to south.

So, why don't they paint high definition 'box' junctions at these crossroads and get the cops to enforce them? Also, why do they not re-inste the traffic lights? I mean. this problem is not a temporary arrangement - it's going to last for three years. As for the 'promise' of the cops monitoring these bottlenecks, well that seems to have gone by the board.

I mostly avoid travelling into town at week-ends and, if I do, I go the backway onto the motorway. That's why I was so horrified at the congestion on this short journey.

It must be murder for those who have to do it on a regular basis.

Not a very constructive post but had to get it off my chest.

I have seen these yellow box junction markings on the road here, the problem is that nobody thought to tell the public and policemen what they are for.

I have also seen policemen whistling and waving like fury on these crossings but not doing anything about drivers advancing to win three metres of road and blocking cross traffic. I once got out of a car and 'persuaded' a (fortunately) female driver to reverse three metres. The policeman almost standing next to me ignored what was going on completely.

You get used to it, stay cool. They got rid of a roundabout in Buriram last year because nobody knew how to use it. They are putting traffic lights on another one, which when I was a traffic engineer was thought to be an admission of defeat. The road safety council in Thailand just issues instructions occasionally to the police to apply the law more strictly (as if they knew anything about that) and does very little about education and prevention. When's the last time you saw a Thai driving education spot on TV? Plenty of stuff about loving your mother and loving Thailand.

I love how drivers who turn right off railway road heading towards Sukhumvit will keep coming even when the traffic is stationary and block off the road entirely. Don't ever try to convince me that Thais are considerate, polite drivers, after 6 years here I know different.

Saturday and Sunday are bad days to shop for anything if it involves coming over from the dark side. The out-of-town drivers pretend to be 'in the know' and use the railroad track roads, hence the junctions are a mess while Sukhumvit itself is reasonably clear.

Weekdays are better if one avoids the rush hours between 7:45 and 8:45 in the morning and from about 16:00 onwards in the afternoon. Between those peak times, I find it relatively easy to slip over Sukhumvit for shopping or an early 'afternoon delight'. There's a slot around 18:00 where it's good to head home before the convoys of buses start ferrying tourists between hotels, dinner and shows.

Saturday and Sunday are bad days to shop for anything if it involves coming over from the dark side. The out-of-town drivers pretend to be 'in the know' and use the railroad track roads, hence the junctions are a mess while Sukhumvit itself is reasonably clear.

Weekdays are better if one avoids the rush hours between 7:45 and 8:45 in the morning and from about 16:00 onwards in the afternoon. Between those peak times, I find it relatively easy to slip over Sukhumvit for shopping or an early 'afternoon delight'. There's a slot around 18:00 where it's good to head home before the convoys of buses start ferrying tourists between hotels, dinner and shows.

NL. Thanks for that. Like you, I have learned to avoid Pattaya on week-ends but I was desperate for a cup of tea, so I ventrured down there - on the stupid assumption that staying this side of Suk would be OK.

As another poster pointed out I can guess the conversation in a car coming from Bangkok. "Don't worry darling I know the short cut down the railway line and we'll be in Jomtien in no time". The reality is he/she should have stuck to Suk according to my unscientific observations.

In fairness though, when I told my English golfing mate about this he pointed out that coming from town he used the flyover and came up the motorway. I don't think he believed me when I said the flyover was forbidden to m/cycles. (There is a sign, although it is largely ignored).

So, perhaps we all are breaking the rules. That's what driving here forces you into eventually, even if it's with reluctance. gigglem.gif

Aggressive Thai motorcycle drivers are hopeless. They simply will not stop if there's an opening anywhere and even if there isn't. Car drivers are a little more considerate. Overall, it's a complete disaster and any positive changes will require a deep change of attitude and massive education campaign. Which the country seems utterly incapable of doing. It may take generations and trillions of baht to start the change. As I said, hopeless. You're welcome.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Took me 40 mins to get from the Bangkok freeway junction to Thepprasit junction driving along Sukhumvit on Sunday. Most of that was waiting to get into the 2 lane section alongside the works. This morning at 9:30 am the reverse trip but along Railway Road was about 5 minutes - an absolute breeze, straight across at all junctions.

Edit [by car]

Edited by SantiSuk

I hear you, living out North and going into town down the railway line bypass Rd frequently.

I see that Soi Siam CC gets backed up at rush hour, best to avoid that hour or two, and the bedlam that occurs at the junctions as 'Thainess' insists you get as close to the car in-front as you can and have no consideration of a yellow box approach. The junction at 3240 and Pattaya 15 can be worse. Yesterday there was a long freight type train that perhaps created many problems. Surprised you found it bad on a Sunday though, I sailed through reasonably at 09.45.

I have thought about taking the railway road several times, but have always elected to go to Sukhumwit and weather the traffic. Mostly Sukhumwit is bearable.

All your points are valid.

Promise to monitor the bottlenecks. cheesy.gif

Traffic lights at the railroad crossings never worked as they were intended. They were a nightmare from the minute they were turned on. They quickly shut them down due to piss poor planning. They made the crossing much worse. Mostly because people didn't pay attention and no police to monitor them and give tickets when blocking access.

Traffic lights at the railroad crossings would only work if the lights were installed above the actual stop line making drivers stop further back from the junction with clear signage that the whole intersection including the crossover bit between the tracks is a (yellow) box junction. Speed bumps on the north/south dual carriageway lanes would also be needed to slow down the 'flyers'. If the light timing was done properly and cops in place during the 'learning curve', it could easily be managed. The ones that would still abuse it are the motorcycle pr!cks but they abuse just about any other rule anyway so that's why cops handing out tickets and/or impounding bikes would be a real money-spinner.

Unfortunately, solving the issue was consigned by cops and city fathers to the 'too hard' bin and the result is the current chaos and frequent carnage.

You can buy online from numchai and they will deliver.

If you really must drive anywhere from the darkside to brightside on the weekends it is best done before 10am. after then the traffic becomes really ordinary.

Edited by Don Mega

The last time I drove to Pattaya I used the railway road tracks too. Not because I was 'in the know' but because that's the way google maps said was the quickest.

Khao Noi and Khao Talo crossings seem to be less bad even on weekends, ma I have encountered was around 10 min..

But might help that the cops are often out, blocking the straight through over the rails and forcing cars to turn left and then u-turn later.. this way, at least the Nongprue side of the intersection does not get completely blocked

This so-called "bypass" was constructed cheaply with military help but it has resulted in chaos. Most of the people living near or working in Pattaya have to get across the railway at least twice a day. People wanting to use a bypass going north -south are battling with users of existing roads going E-W. Many try and do both and the right hand turn attempts result in mayhem!

To relieve congestion on Sukhumvit in the central Pattaya area then an elevated section was required above the existing Sukhumvit Rd plus a real bypass further inland is needed to bypass "funtown" completely. The elevated section would have meant that the concept and construction of the hugely expensive and ridiculous tunnel at Pattaya Klang could not have been justified - I don't see that it is anyway - all it will do will be to push the existing traffic volume north and south and make Nua and Tai intersections even worse than they are now and the tunnel will flood unless they have some really strong pumps because there is no easy way to gravity-drain it at the lower elevation inside.

It really is time for The Force to Awaken but TIT so don't hold your breath .rolleyes.gif

The elevated section would have meant that the concept and construction of the hugely expensive and ridiculous tunnel at Pattaya Klang could not have been justified - I don't see that it is anyway - all it will do will be to push the existing traffic volume north and south and make Nua and Tai intersections even worse than they are now and the tunnel will flood unless they have some really strong pumps because there is no easy way to gravity-drain it at the lower elevation inside.

The will be starting on the Pattaya Tai tunnel mid next year.

I also live down soi SCC and trying to cross the Sattahip cutover at any crossroad is really bad during peak traffic hours... And as already stated by others in this post, drivers will block the bypass lanes or the cross street instead of properly waiting their turn creating a bottleneck... making a bad situation worse.. and then there is always that one driver who waits forever to cross over I assume because they are a new driver or too afraid to cut someone off as his required..... So unbelievable at times I simple make u-turn and head back home... But late at night between 11pm to 2am there is hardly a car at all on that road with most of well lighted which making it pretty safe for late night bike rides.. Just heads up for all the wrong way Scooter drivers... smile.png

Defensive driving is the best way to drive in this country.. Be safe everyone.. biggrin.png

The elevated section would have meant that the concept and construction of the hugely expensive and ridiculous tunnel at Pattaya Klang could not have been justified - I don't see that it is anyway - all it will do will be to push the existing traffic volume north and south and make Nua and Tai intersections even worse than they are now and the tunnel will flood unless they have some really strong pumps because there is no easy way to gravity-drain it at the lower elevation inside.

Heard nothing about Tai and even if they do, what then? Then Kao Talo and Thepprasit junctions after that, I suppose? All while they are still bogged down on the first one. All complete by 2039 woo hoo. cheesy.gif

The last time I drove to Pattaya I used the railway road tracks too. Not because I was 'in the know' but because that's the way google maps said was the quickest.

I was inferring that most out-of-towners will option for the railroad track road first, hence causing heavier weekend traffic. I use the railroad track roads at certain times when going in certain directions. The railroad track roads can be faster during the week but at weekends, it can be slow at most junctions with real mess at the Chaiyapruek crossing due to the big market between the railroad track and Sukhumvit and total gridlock where it ends down south at Huayyai road where buses like to u-turn.

Unfortunately, google maps doesn't have interactive, live traffic congestion information so what they say is fastest isn't always the case. I did note that it does detail areas of road works or construction when I was looking at last weekends escape route to Mae Ramphung beach. My Garmin Nuvi has traffic updates when I am in Bangkok but I don't think that system is rolled out nationwide.

Heard nothing about Tai and even if they do, what then? Then Kao Talo and Thepprasit junctions after that, I suppose? All while they are still bogged down on the first one. All complete by 2039 woo hoo. cheesy.gif

My bad, Not Tai but Threpasit.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/sukhumvit-tunnel-construction-begins-nov-15-42131

I am very surprised by how few people use the cut through from Mini C on Khao Noi that comes out between Khao Noi and Khao Talo and then the small railway crossing - i use this everyday to get my daughter to school during rush hour and have never been held up more than a couple of minutes.

I am very surprised by how few people use the cut through from Mini C on Khao Noi that comes out between Khao Noi and Khao Talo and then the small railway crossing - i use this everyday to get my daughter to school during rush hour and have never been held up more than a couple of minutes.

I to use this road as well. Even though I have to turn left onto the bypass then go up and do a u-turn it is still quicker than sitting at the mess of Khao Noi and Bypass intersection.