Keeping Bread tasty

THAIPHUKET

Wrap it in paper (not the waterproofed kind) and keep it in a cool place (if you have one), or in the top of the fridge. Take it out of the fridge 20 minutes or so before you want to eat it so it can return to room temperature.

The paper slows down evaporation. (Plastic would, too, but condensation would make the crust soggy and make life easier for hungry fungi.) And the cool place slows bacterial/fungal growth.

Sounds good tks,

One question= does a fridge not withdraw humidity in everything and adds his own odor/taste?

Yes, the fridge withdraws humidity which is why I suggested a cool place (not that practical in Thailand for most of us) before a fridge. The paper wrapping will slow the drying out process.

As for the fridge adding odour, not if the fridge is clean and isn't used for storage of unwrapped stinky things. I really don't anticipate a problem here for the vast majority of people.

Since years we bake bread ourselves, usually six buns at one time. They then go into the freezer. I need one every morning for breakfast. I take one out in the early morning and after 45 minutes put it in the preheated ventilated oven for 1.5 - 2 minutes. Fresh bread every morning in a small village in the deep Isaan.

post-5472-0-75073000-1445472460_thumb.jp

Sometimes we make our own hamburger buns, They are treated the same way.

post-5472-0-57629000-1445473314_thumb.jp

I put my bread in a towel, the kind used to dry off dishes. But in general i make just one small loaf with my bread baking machine. Its enough for 1 or 2 days. I find that after that period (unless you add certain additives) bread is just not fresh. But for me I want as little additives as possible. So my advice don't bake too much.

Dario, those rolls look delicious. I just can't seem to get it right. Would you be willing to share your recipe and baking methods. Thank you.

Fairly simple, with one pre-condition: you need a baking oven with a ventilator. And a dough mixer,

What you need for delicious bread buns:

600 g of bread >>> instead you can also use 500 g bread flour and 100 g of rye flour

8 g of yeast

1 1/2 teaspoons of salt

1 teaspoon of sugar

25-30 g of butter >>> makes THE taste difference!

375 ml of warm water

Sieve the flour. In a bowl putt the flour, make a whole in the middle and pour the warm water, the yeast, the salt and the sugar and mix. Add the melted butter. Make a firm dough and cover it with a plastic and over the plastic a towel. Let it rise for at least an hour. The dough must have at least doubled in size.

When risen enough, take it on a flat surface and knead it a couple of times. If you want buns like me, cut the dough in six pieces and form the buns. Put them on a buttered tray and let them rise 1-2 hours, again under a plastic and towel on top..

Preheat the oven at 150º and put the buns in the middle. If your oven has a ventilator, put that on. Bake the buns 20-23 minutes at the same 150º. Check for yourself how brown you want them. Once they're cooled down you can put them in the freezer. Enjoy! You'll love them.

Years back I used to buy bread ( quite nice) at our Big C in Surin, but no need anymore, I like our selfmade buns much better. Good luck!

Dario, those rolls look delicious. I just can't seem to get it right. Would you be willing to share your recipe and baking methods. Thank you.

Plus 1

I was doing OK with baking bread but for some reason I have lost my touch.

I also would like the recipe and method if you would be willing to share.

Thank you.

Fairly simple, with one pre-condition: you need a baking oven with a ventilator. And a dough mixer,

600 g of bread >>> instead you can also use 500 g bread flour and 100 g of rye flour

8 g of yeast

1 1/2 teaspoons of salt

1 teaspoon of sugar

375 ml of warm water

Sieve the flour. In a bowl putt the flour, make a whole in the middle and pour the warm water, the yeast, the salt and the sugar and mix. Add the melted butter. Make a firm dough and cover it with a plastic and over the plastic a towel. Let it rise for at least an hour. The dough must have at least doubled in size.

When risen enough, take it on a flat surface and knead it a couple of times. If you want buns like me, cut the dough in six pieces and form the buns. Put them on a buttered tray and let them rise 1-2 hours, again under a plastic and towel on top..

Preheat the oven at 150º and put the buns in the middle. If your oven has a ventilator, put that on. Bake the buns 20-23 minutes at the same 150º. Check for yourself how brown you want them. Once they're cooled down you can put them in the freezer. Enjoy! You'll love them.

Years back I used to buy bread ( quite nice) at our Big C in Surin, but no need anymore, I like our selfmade buns much better. Good luck!

There is one important ingredient I forgot to add in my recipe. It's a secret addition not many people know which makes the bread inside doesn't get hard; The ingredient is called PATCO3. You might get it as a small glass of 100 g at Villa Market, maybe Foodland, you can also check Big C (the very big one). But you can get it for sure at MAKRO as a 1 kg pack.

For this recipe you add 1 teaspoon of Patco3 to the flour you sieve. Add it, don't worry the bread doesn't get soft like Thai bread!

post-5472-0-58680300-1445493928_thumb.jp

8 g of yeast

1 1/2 teaspoons of salt

1 teaspoon of sugar

375 ml of warm water

You caught me out.

What is a baking oven?

8 g of yeast

1 1/2 teaspoons of salt

1 teaspoon of sugar

375 ml of warm water

You caught me out.

What is a baking oven?

Sorry, I meant an oven. In German we call it Backofen which translates exactly into baking oven. Sorry for the confusion. So, in good English its an oven like mine here in my upcountry home:

post-5472-0-36441500-1445495741_thumb.jp

There is one important ingredient I forgot to add in my recipe. It's a secret addition not many people know which makes the bread inside doesn't get hard; The ingredient is called PATCO3.

Ah yes, Patco 3, a delicious blend of Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate and Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate. However did we manage to make bread before the advent of food chemists determined to foist their fabulous brain squirts upon us?

There is one important ingredient I forgot to add in my recipe. It's a secret addition not many people know which makes the bread inside doesn't get hard; The ingredient is called PATCO3.

Ah yes, Patco 3, a delicious blend of Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate and Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate. However did we manage to make bread before the advent of food chemists determined to foist their fabulous brain squirts upon us?

Your defintion is incomplete: Patco® 3 is a dynamic blend of two efficient emulsifiers, Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate (CSL), Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate (SSL), which together perform as both a dough strengthener and a crumb softener. Improves dough tolerance to processing and machinery variations. Aids in improving product volume and creates tighter crumb structure. The shelf life of yeast raised products is extended along with producing a softer crumb. Resists lumping in high humidity environments. Improves sheeting and helps reduce sticking for pressed products. It also aids in whipping.

Voilà.

Hi dario, I also use that recipe for my bread. The only difference is that I only prove my bread once, and I only make one loaf at a time. Maybe I'll try making rolls next time.

I don't use the Patco 3 and have never had a problem.

I also have the same oven as you. I bought mine in a sale at Homepro for 7900 baht. I think by ventilator oven, you mean Fan oven.

Happy Baking.

​HERE YOU GO

Of course done with the help of an experienced baker. Tasted wonderful, smelled nice while baking. What I didn´t like after cooling was kind of a sour smell which didn´t go away for 2 days. Is that the yeast? Would not want more baking in the kitchen, must be outdoors.

So what is it???

post-64651-0-10506200-1445661500_thumb.j

post-64651-0-95243900-1445661527_thumb.j

I have just found this thread as I was searching for “poppy seeds on bread”

I used to bake bread until about 10 years ago when we bought a bread machine. We had a few mishaps at first but soon found the right recipes. It was great waking up to warm bread in the mornings.

Recently, however the wife has shown an interest in baking bread so the bread machine is now stacked away in the cupboard.

She sits studying bread making recipes every evening and she says "it is a whole science". The first bread she made was an artisan bread and made a great change from the wholewheat bread we had eaten for 10 years. Now she makes many different kinds, including "no kneading bread" and adds many different kinds of seeds and kernels.

We have used that Patco3 (bread improver) and yes, it helps make the bread rise and stay softer.

As for keeping bread, I would say 3 days is the maximum bread can be kept. We wrap it lightly in aluminum foil and place it in a plastic box.

I would post some pics, but they are on my mobile (battery flat).

Dario:, those rolls look really great. Just like I used to eat in Denmark. I will certainly give them a try.

Thaiphuket: Your bread looks very similar to some of those we make , but it seems a little dark. Was the oven too hot? Was the bread completely baked in the middle? That could the reason for the sour smell. Uncooked dough, slowly going off?

Anyway I’ll continue my search for poppy seeds. Are they illegal in Thailand? I used to sprinkle them on my bread back home.

• 3 weeks later...

Since years we bake bread ourselves, usually six buns at one time. They then go into the freezer. I need one every morning for breakfast. I take one out in the early morning and after 45 minutes put it in the preheated ventilated oven for 1.5 - 2 minutes. Fresh bread every morning in a small village in the deep Isaan.

attachicon.gifIMG_3502z.jpg

Sometimes we make our own hamburger buns, They are treated the same way.

attachicon.gif2014-09-21 17.37.23.jpg

I'm impressed.

My bread rolls always taste good, but consistency of size and shape..... I'm a bit of a basket case, unlike yours

• 3 weeks later...

No probs stoney, I bake bread for ex-pats (& Thais) at the golf club, Phetchabun.

On the storage of bread, I never put mine in the fridge, bagged up and in plastic air tight containers. I have a big freezer but the stuff never is around long enough.

I am am English baker but French baguettes are my speciality. Great believer in eat today bread.

post-44176-14493026824852_thumb.jpg

No probs stoney, I bake bread for ex-pats (& Thais) at the golf club, Phetchabun.

On the storage of bread, I never put mine in the fridge, bagged up and in plastic air tight containers. I have a big freezer but the stuff never is around long enough.

I am am English baker but French baguettes are my speciality. Great believer in eat today bread.

Great looking bread. Every so often I have a bread making session (my bread looks nothing like the ones you bake). The bread actually tastes good but the textures iffy and I could probably build with the stuff, they turn out rock hard sometimes. Good fun though and the daughter and her school mates seem to enjoy the end product. May have another go next week.

Archived