Prachuap Khiri Khan: String of jellyfish stings prompts warning

webfact

String of Jellyfish Stings Prompts Warning
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14472306631447231241l.jpg
Local administrators on jellyfish patrol Monday in Prachuap Khiri Khan province.

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN — Swarms of jellyfish continue sending swimmers to hospital a month after their stings killed a tourist on Koh Samui, prompting louder warnings for visitors to be careful.

In the coastal province of Prachuap Khiri Khan, 10 tourists were stung by jellyfish in the sea off Huay Yang beach during the past weekend alone, including seven who required hospitalization, local official Thawatchai Daengcham said Monday.

“Fishermen in the area report seeing many types of jellyfish getting pushed into the shore by the current,” Thawatchai said after a tour of the beach. “Maybe it’s because of wastewater in the sea.”

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1447230663

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-11-11

Having recently been in the area, and on quite a few beaches, I saw 5 or 6 of the larger (20-30 cm across) jelly fish washed up.

Also saw a lot of Thais casting nets in waist high seas

So I would assume the conditions are favorable for all the types.

For a press photo, they couldn't pick up the empty can discarded on the beach?

Or at least Photoshop it after the fact?

But that is the "natural" environment in Thailand, rubbish is now part of the landscape just about everywhere you go.

Many certainly dont notice nor care!

"“Fishermen in the area report seeing many types of jellyfish getting pushed into the shore by the current,” Thawatchai said after a tour of the beach. “Maybe it’s because of wastewater in the sea.”

as ever totally misleading info from K. Thawatchai.

what we REALLY need to know is what species of "jellyfish" it is....if it is the box jelly then it needs to be investigated....making unsubstantiated claims about why this is happening is just a ridiculous way to tackle the problem.

Having recently been in the area, and on quite a few beaches, I saw 5 or 6 of the larger (20-30 cm across) jelly fish washed up.

Also saw a lot of Thais casting nets in waist high seas

So I would assume the conditions are favorable for all the types.

It depends on the species and if you are wearing clothing, it significantly reduces the risk of injury.

"Local administrators on jellyfish patrol Monday in Prachuap Khiri Khan province." - they seem completely unequipped to "spot" jellyfish.....could this just be two officers who jumped at the opportunity to have their photo taken without realising how totally incompetent it makes them seem?

We went to Ao Manoa 2/3 weeks ago and me and my son got stung by a jelly fish ,it was not a bad sting ,my son got stung in Cha am before and that burn was on him for 2 months ,we left the water in Ao Manoa because I thought I might of seen a box jelly fish but not 100% sure ,I lost sight of it and couldn't find it again to identify it

THese jellyfish need to be scientifically ID'd...until then it is impossible to know what action should be taken. Although.....it would seem some resorts with a sense of responsibility towards their clientele might consider forking out for netting around their beaches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...