The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Ive just been looking at the thai Embassy in Sydnety ans this is all they are stating what they require for an METV

Multiple Entries

Documents required

• A passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months
  • A completed and signed visa applicationFORM A
  • A photo (3.5x4.5 cm.) taken within last 6 months without wearing glasses or headgear (photocopy not accepted)
  • A copy of biographic page of your passport or travel documents
  • A copy of airline ticket confirming the date of second entry into Thailand within the validity period of visa

http://thaiconsulatesydney.org/Home/visa

Ive just been looking at the thai Embassy in Sydnety ans this is all they are stating what they require for an METV

Multiple Entries

Documents required

• A photo (3.5x4.5 cm.) taken within last 6 months without wearing glasses or headgear (photocopy not accepted)
  • A copy of airline ticket confirming the date of second entry into Thailand within the validity period of visa

As well as these loose requirements, I read on another forum that an Irish national was able to get an METV in Sydney, just with an Australian bank account and a fixed address there.

Seems there's some flexibility in Australia.

Multiple Entries

Documents required

yeah this is the nutty part. Actually expecting people to plan and book things like the second entry in advance! I never plan my long holidays in Thailand that way. Any local travel in and out say from BKK to Cambodia then back is always purchased locally. I do not and I bet most leisure tourists don't want to be like Chevy Chase in those Vacation movies where they nit and try to plan every detail in advance. Not to mention booking those local asia flights is usually cheaper to do over there than in one's home country. This METV is very challenging. A large tour group with planned itineraries might do this, but I can't see there being that many two or three month long pre-planned junkets

Multiple Entries

Documents required

As well as these loose requirements, I read on another forum that an Irish national was able to get an METV in Sydney, just with an Australian bank account and a fixed address there.

Ive also heard of U.S. citizens getting an METV in Brussels with just proof of funds

• Like 1

I have booked my flights already to visit Cambodgia during my 15 days stay in Thailand and I don't qualify for the MEVT, what can I do in this case? Can I just buy the visa at the airport when I enter thailand the second time?

What Nationality are you ?

There are a few countries whose passport holders are permitted a Visa on Arrival which costs 1000 Bht and allows a stay of 15 days.

Hi all, not sure if I have overlooked it, or just plain dumb.....but when you say you have to apply for a METV back in your home country, does that mean you cannot apply for one eg. if you are a uk citizen visiting in another country eg. New Zealand, Australia?? I'm guessing your meaning that you cannot apply for METV over the borders of nearby countries like Burma,Cambodia, mayalasia etc......

Thanks in advance

Hi all, not sure if I have overlooked it, or just plain dumb.....but when you say you have to apply for a METV back in your home country, does that mean you cannot apply for one eg. if you are a uk citizen visiting in another country eg. New Zealand, Australia?? I'm guessing your meaning that you cannot apply for METV over the borders of nearby countries like Burma,Cambodia, mayalasia etc......

Thanks in advance

The published conditions at most consulates state that only citizens or residents of the country can apply. In some cases, the conditions are unclear. There is also insufficient experience to know whether exceptions will be made for some nationalities at some consulates.

The default assumption, until evidence is available to the contrary, should be that an METV will not be issued to short term visitors in a country.

Thanks Brittim,

The last two years I have received Triple entry TVs from New Zealand whilst visiting....so just wondering if there was a change in the new METV requirements for that....so doesn't look great then! Eek!

Thanks in advance

The published conditions at most consulates state that only citizens or residents of the country can apply. In some cases, the conditions are unclear. There is also insufficient experience to know whether exceptions will be made for some nationalities at some consulates.

The default assumption, until evidence is available to the contrary, should be that an METV will not be issued to short term visitors in a country.

Edited by mrastoney

Multiple Entries

Documents required

Ive also heard of U.S. citizens getting an METV in Brussels with just proof of funds

I spoke with Danish Thai embassy, and they can give 3 entry, as long as you proof funds, no problem.

I spoke with Danish Thai embassy, and they can give 3 entry, as long as you proof funds, no problem.

That does not seem correct since their website only mentions a single entry or multiple entry tourist visa. http://thaiembassy.dk/tourist-visa-requirements-for-danish-passport-holders/

Perhaps they meant a multiple entry visa which can give you the same total stay as a 3 entry visa.

There is no such thing as a "triple entry" anymore - anywhere; maybe their past record with the now-defunct 3-entry would translate to flexibility for the METV, but maybe not.

Could those referring to US Citizens getting METVs in other countries successfully please provide specifics? As in, were the successful applicants "residents" of the nation where they got the visa (in some form), what exactly they were required to present, etc? Also, are these 1st or 2nd hand reports? I realize that links to other forums are not allowed, but any details that could help others follow in their footsteps would be appreciated.

I have an ongoing "options for visas" chart in a spreadsheet. Though I meet the "qualifications" for an METV, so far, it seems the SETV / VE hopping is the way to go - unless I could get one somewhere other than via a trip to the USA.

Edited by JackThompson

whistling.gif So far the best conditions I have seen for a U.S. citizen applying for one is at the Thai honorary consulate in Portland Oregon.

But you will need to be in the U.S., it costs $200 for the visa,, and you will need to show evidence you have $7200 available to pay your expenses in Thailand during those 6 months.

So far that is the best offer I have seen.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need proof of U.S. residence.

Not perfect, but the best I have seen so far.

As mentioned in an earlier post reference the Irish Thai consulate's requirements for the METV (as originally pointed out by JLCrab) they seem to say that proof for the unemployed or retirees is acceptable.

Have any other consulates/embassies added similar lines to their requirements? Sorta seems logical to do so.

http://www.thaiconsulateireland.com/#types-of-visa

post-76988-0-76245900-1448517266_thumb.j

• Like 1

As mentioned in an earlier post reference the Irish Thai consulate's requirements for the METV (as originally pointed out by JLCrab) they seem to say that proof for the unemployed or retirees is acceptable.

Have any other consulates/embassies added similar lines to their requirements? Sorta seems logical to do so.

http://www.thaiconsulateireland.com/#types-of-visa

attachicon.gifExtract from Irish METV Reqs.jpg

And for those who are self-funded retirees?

Vast majority of people (early retirement due to disability aside) receiving pensions are going to be over 50 so easier/cheaper for them to get a Non-O for retirement locally.

Edited by JB300

I went to the embassy in Oslo yesterday and delivered my application for the METV, as posted earlier in this thread they don't demand much of us norwegians so I only needed two tickets in/out of Thailand.

No financial proof or proof of address in Thailand.

I asked the lady who received my application, have you gotten many of this application for METV yet? Yes quite many she said, mostly young backpackers type of people.

I don't think I will have any problems of getting my application approved, I will not pick up my passport before after i finish my tour of duty offshore wink.png If any problems I will report back here in this thread.

That's great news. I had hoped some consulates would not enforce some of the crazy requirements. Backpackers taking say gap year or whatever, the metv was fir some perfect. Except for some stupid requirements. Hope more consulates follow suit.

• Like 2

The welfare part is so funny,

I thought the bank balance thing, and letter from employer is required to assure the METV holder won't be working in Thailand illegally. Maybe it is a bad translation, it happens. No other Embassy so far has posted this welfare thing.

'Proof of welfare benefits' lol

Just got a report from Vientiane. The guy is working in Laos, got all the documents from work, money in the bank etc(200K baht) . They turned him down anyway, first they asked more "copies" of the documents for the Laos company, when he could provide them, they said that the money should be in Laos bank only..;) So the conclusion is: they just instructed not to issue that kind of visa, finding any excuse possible.

• Like 1

Dream on. Most farang too lazy for that rubbish.

Maybe a visa mob might do it. Has there been ONE posting of successful metv from home country . Crab don't need added posts about this will happen next millennium. There have been numerous posts from people living in UK or Australia etc. Asking about requirements. So far none have posted success or failure. Talk about waste of time reading thaivisa

• Like 1

Just got a report from Vientiane. The guy is working in Laos, got all the documents from work, money in the bank etc(200K baht) . They turned him down anyway, first they asked more "copies" of the documents for the Laos company, when he could provide them, they said that the money should be in Laos bank only..wink.png So the conclusion is: they just instructed not to issue that kind of visa, finding any excuse possible.

If the money is in a foreign bank account, it makes it difficult to call the bank and ask them to confirm.

Just got a report from Vientiane. The guy is working in Laos, got all the documents from work, money in the bank etc(200K baht) . They turned him down anyway, first they asked more "copies" of the documents for the Laos company, when he could provide them, they said that the money should be in Laos bank only..wink.png So the conclusion is: they just instructed not to issue that kind of visa, finding any excuse possible.

If the money is in a foreign bank account, it makes it difficult to call the bank and ask them to confirm.

The banking system is largely international these days, even more so in the EU. French guy and his Italian wife live and work in Germany where both of their children were born. Perhaps they fancy 6-7 months in Thailand before the kids start school. Nightmare.

That is just one of countless problematic situations. Many people don't bank in the country they are from or work in as wages can be paid into any bank in the EU. Hmmm. Maybe not all but most.

• Like 1