The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

So let me see if I get this straight...

If I get a SETV it will last for 60 days + 30 days of extension = 3 months.

Once it runs out, I go to a neighbour embassy and get another visa that lasts for another 3 months including the extension.

I can SURELY do this for at least 1 year (four SETV in a row), and then what? You think im getting denied another SETV? Is it certain that if I mix the embassies where I apply I will be able to get further SETV? Or I can do 4 SETV in a row in the same embassy and then change to another embassy and repeat the process?

The problem you face, is you are trying to Plan Well In Advance. But, the policies of consulates may change, so this is not entirely possible. No hard feelings - I fall into the same trap often, myself.

Consider nearby consulates on a scale from the "least willing" to issue SETVs, to the "most willing," depending on how many Thai visas they see in your passport. Whether or not the previous SETVs are from them, is one factor - the total count is another - whether you are "out of Thailand" for months during the span is another (but even visas prior to a long-break can still count against you, as I found out).

Getting a new passport erases the history visible to consulates, so this is the "starting point" for a set of SETVs. While your SETV-count is low, go the "least willing" consulates (Cambodia, Vietnam, HongKong). Maybe you can get one at each of those. Then, use up your welcome at the "most willing" consulates (Laos, Penang).

During that process, you can obtain some "Visa Exempt" entries - but be careful to use these sparingly. Especially avoid getting them back-to-back if possible. I am aiming for 2 or less per year. Should you be denied a SETV, a Visa Exempt entry could be used to return to your home in Thailand, before your next attempt to obtain a SETV.

When the SETV options are "used up," it is time for a new passport, and to repeat the process - until you reach the "Magic Age" of 50. Maybe you can get 2+ years per passport, with this strategy.

Edited by JackThompson

So let me see if I get this straight...

If I get a SETV it will last for 60 days + 30 days of extension = 3 months.

Once it runs out, I go to a neighbour embassy and get another visa that lasts for another 3 months including the extension.

I can SURELY do this for at least 1 year (four SETV in a row), and then what? You think im getting denied another SETV? Is it certain that if I mix the embassies where I apply I will be able to get further SETV? Or I can do 4 SETV in a row in the same embassy and then change to another embassy and repeat the process?

Also, with this SETV visa hops have no more sense as there are no more entries to "Activate", am I rite?

Undoubtley seems more complicated than before with METV but I think is still doable. Will cost a lil bit more money in the long run but if you really want to stay in Thailand long term you can do it based solely on SETV.

Correct me if (where) im wrong please!

And if you add a few VOAs and VETs into the mix, your passport will soon be full and thus need a new "clean" one

Hi everyone.

I decided to join the forum since i'm here in Thailand to stay hence i should be more connected with all the information going on.

There is so much information yet it changes all the time so forum seems like a best place to keep myself up to date.

I have couple of questions and hope that someone can give a feedback on them,

Im now in Thailand since july.

* On arrival got 30days - extended for 30 days

* went to laos and got 2x entry visa, after 60 days extended for 30 days

now soon this is over and as i understand i need to do a border run so that i can activate second entry for 60 days and have a possibility to extend for 30 days.

I live in CM so closest and perhaps cheapest way would be a mae sai (?)

on the side note, im not entirely sure but on the trip to laos either my departure card was taken on the border on i simply lost it. On my last 30 extend they did ask me card but i told them that i went there buy bus so i have no departure card - no further problems with that, they did not ask me nor did they ask me to fill/get new one and i got my stamp.

Now im planning to go to mae sai by car, park my car somewhere and walk to border and perhaps stay half day or maybe even a overnight stay at burma (?)

Question is do i need a departure card on the border?

And little bit out of this topic question.

My father is here to visit me and he leaves Thailand in about two weeks but would like to visit burma with me, he have a 30day stamp in passport, can he do this border run with me?

Edit: I magically found my first departure card what i got when i arrived here on july with a stamp on it. I guess its good? :)

Kind regards

Edited by feelitwell

If you dont have an arrival card, they can issue you a new one .

If you go to Maesai , you can only go to Tachilek town, you can not go outside the city limits, about five kilometres.

You Father cannot leave from Maesai

This highlights the weirdness of the system -

Going to Mae Sai to border-hop visa run to stay in LOS long term . . . no problem.

Bona-fide tourist wants to cross the border for tourism . . . no dice.

• Like 1

I got O-A multiple entry visa and entered Thailand on Sept. 1 2015. I left country and came back on Nov. 4 2015. I am also, planning to visit Laos in December 10 for 10 days. ( I will fly to Luang Prabang and fly back to Chiang Mai). End of Jan 2016, I will fly out to India and Sri Lanka returning on Feb 17 2016.

My question is

A. When do I have to report my 90 days to immigration?

B. How many times I am allowed to go out and come back to Thailand?

Is my 90 days start from my latest arrival to Thailand?

Please let me know. I do not want any trouble with immigration for not reporting in time.

Thanks... I

I got O-A multiple entry visa and entered Thailand on Sept. 1 2015. I left country and came back on Nov. 4 2015. I am also, planning to visit Laos in December 10 for 10 days. ( I will fly to Luang Prabang and fly back to Chiang Mai). End of Jan 2016, I will fly out to India and Sri Lanka returning on Feb 17 2016.

My question is

A. When do I have to report my 90 days to immigration?

B. How many times I am allowed to go out and come back to Thailand?

Is my 90 days start from my latest arrival to Thailand?

Please let me know. I do not want any trouble with immigration for not reporting in time.

Thanks... I

• The 90 day count resets to day 1 every time you re-enter Thailand. So you will only ever have to report if you stay 90 consecutive days.
  • You can come and go as many times as you want. No limit.

Some great info guys..thanks

But a point not clear and I've tried Google. The metv is pretty new still and most info predates it.

I'm moving over in January and ready to sort visa...I'm 50 so retirement visa posible. Do I go on a metv and convert over there? I'm led to believe they don't do it here in UK it has to a conversion? Older advice says you need 90 day visa to convert, can I convert a metv? I have house near nong kai so a few trips over to Laos will be needed so metv suits me best....any advice guys?

Thanks

But a point not clear and I've tried Google. The metv is pretty new still and most info predates it.

I'm moving over in January and ready to sort visa...I'm 50 so retirement visa posible. Do I go on a metv and convert over there? I'm led to believe they don't do it here in UK it has to a conversion? Older advice says you need 90 day visa to convert, can I convert a metv? I have house near nong kai so a few trips over to Laos will be needed so metv suits me best....any advice guys?

Thanks

A "retirement" O/A long stay visa is easily obtained in the UK .

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

Thanks

You don't need to waste money on a METV and have several options.

• If you want to go the conversion route you should just get a SETV and convert that. Conversions are only done in Bangkok. I don't know if Nong Khai immigration are authorised to handle the paperwork. If not you'll require two trips to Bangkok. Then 60 days after the conversion you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.
  • If you live near Nong Khai you could enter Thailand with a SETV and at some point go to Vientiane for a Non 'O' visa. Then 60 days after re-entering with the non 'O' you can apply for a 1 year extension.
  • You could apply for a single entry non 'O' based on retirement in the UK, but only at the consulates. Then 60 days after entry you can apply for a 1 year extension.
  • You could apply for a non 'O-A' only at the UK embassy. That is a multi entry visa that is valid for 1 year and gives you a 1 year stay on every entry. At the end of the year you can hop across the border and re-enter just before the visa expires and be granted another 1 year permit to stay. Any exits during the second year would need a re-entry permit to keep the stay alive. At the end of the second year you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay.
  • Like 1

Thanks

Thanks

All you need is a single entry tourist visa. Forget about the METV you don't need one.

If you are in Nong Khai the best option would be to cross over to Vientiane and get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over.

If you have additional questions about getting an extension based upon retirement please please post a new topic or find one that is already ongoing.

• Like 2

Really interesting thing about the numerous METV threads that were condensed to this one. ..

Some 30 pages. Many before Nov 13. Now weeks later we don't have numerous posts from folk that have applied for an metv. Makes thaivisa bit irrelevant.

• Like 1

Really interesting thing about the numerous METV threads that were condensed to this one. ..

Some 30 pages. Many before Nov 13. Now weeks later we don't have numerous posts from folk that have applied for an metv. Makes thaivisa bit irrelevant.

I know of a application that was that was not accepted in Singapore for not being out of Thailand for 3 months before applying for one. This by PM with a Singapore resident.

I think if is to early to expect any successful applications being reported from Thai visa members that have returned home to get one.

Thanks

All you need is a single entry tourist visa. Forget about the METV you don't need one.

If you are in Nong Khai the best option would be to cross over to Vientiane and get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over.

If you have additional questions about getting an extension based upon retirement please please post a new topic or find one that is already ongoing.

Sorry mate...this is metv question? One still not answered with all due respect? Can I change a METV...to retirement visa? METV....

I am aware I don't need a metv (METV)...but I intend to visit Vietnam by air,maybe Cambodia by road,Vientiane also an option on a couple of occasions. Metv seems to be the way to go?

If possible? Will I need a visa shop to sort it? Any really recommended?

It's generally very relevant. I think most people active on the forum are here to ask for help/information or to report problems, or are people trying to help others. Very few people take the time to report successful applications and I think you'll find the METV to be the same.

• Like 2

Thanks

Sorry mate...this is metv question? One still not answered with all due respect? Can I change a METV...to retirement visa? METV....

I am aware I don't need a metv (METV)...but I intend to visit Vietnam by air,maybe Cambodia by road,Vientiane also an option on a couple of occasions. Metv seems to be the way to go?

If possible? Will I need a visa shop to sort it? Any really recommended?

It was not clear in your previous posts what you were planning to do. An entry from a METV is not different from any other tourist visa entry. You could apply for a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa entry based upon qualifying for an extension based upon retirement with any of the 60 day entries from the METV..

But you could get a single entry tourist visa to avoid needing a ticket out of the country for the first entry and make your other trips by getting a visa exempt entry tor the others. You can convert a visa exempt entry to a non immigrant visa entry also.

Thanks mate..cleared up. Spending time in nong kai, makes it easy to get the next 60 days. Prevoious post says I can get my retirement visa in Vientiane? I thoughthink I had to go to Bangkok? But that's a non-o visa question the thread police will be after me again. ...!

Thanks mate..cleared up. Spending time in nong kai, makes it easy to get the next 60 days. Prevoious post says I can get my retirement visa in Vientiane? I thoughthink I had to go to Bangkok? But that's a non-o visa question the thread police will be after me again. ...!

It would require 2 trips to Bangkok 15 days apart to get the visa/ entry stamps if you do the conversion. That is is why you were told to do it in Vientiane. Just an overnight stay in Vientiane to get a non-o visa,

You could even get a re-entry permit to keep the 90 day entry valid if you wanted to make a trip out of the country during the 90 days ti would give you on entry.

With respect the METV just doesn't make sense if you are planning to apply for a 1 year extension of stay. You are better off getting a Non 'O' in the Uk before you come or arrive with a SETV and go to Vientiane for the Non 'O'. Any side trips can be covered with re-entry permits/visa exempt.

o

It's generally very relevant. I think most people active on the forum are here to ask for help/information or to report problems, or are people trying to help others. Very few people take the time to report successful applications and I think you'll find the METV to be the same.
So, with pages and pages of people asking advice and many stories of proposed plans to apply for the METV we now have some 3/4 weeks later zero reports of success or failure with METV application. Zip. I would regard that as a useless thread. Blowing in the wind Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

anyone with sense would have obtained a new 2 entry tv, before the 13th November. even is that required losing time on the old visa.

As jlcrab posted above the main users of back to back tv's, will not be looking for new tv/metv until April/May time.