Honda service. Did they really do anything?

ghworker2010

We have a 2 yr old honda and the message recently appeared on the dash regarding the fact that it was time for a service.

We took it to get it done last saturday. This time we dropped the car off instead of sitting there waiting. Picked it up in the afternoon.

I just noticed that the same message is displayed i.e. that the car needs service. Could this imply that they didnt do a full service. Im unsure whats involved with the electrics but its a bit strange that the message is still displayed.

Because TIT do you trust your local car servicing centre? One would hope that Honda would do a good job. However, they are all just owned by Thai families out to make as much profit as they can. They gave us the usual empty oil container but that doesn't mean jack sxxt

Whats yr opinion?

thanks

had the toyota serviced and they charged for cleaning the engine oil change etc and put empty bottlers in the back of it. I decided to check the oil, it was black and dirty, engine hadnt been cleaned, sump plug was covered in filth and hadnt had a spanner on it so they obviously just threw the empties in the back to make it look good. When I faced them at the desk no one would talk to me and the girl had to relay messages, they tried to say the oil turned black and old driving 1K home but that was all she said as they wouldnt admit any fault & they refused to do anything about it. Needless to say we have never been back and I will bad mouth them every chance I get as they are nothing but criminals.

had the toyota serviced and they charged for cleaning the engine oil change etc and put empty bottlers in the back of it. I decided to check the oil, it was black and dirty, engine hadnt been cleaned, sump plug was covered in filth and hadnt had a spanner on it so they obviously just threw the empties in the back to make it look good. When I faced them at the desk no one would talk to me and the girl had to relay messages, they tried to say the oil turned black and old driving 1K home but that was all she said as they wouldnt admit any fault & they refused to do anything about it. Needless to say we have never been back and I will bad mouth them every chance I get as they are nothing but criminals.

Can I ask which Toyota dealer you used?

Took our staffs motorbike for an oil change once, they never removed the sump plug dont know how they changed the oil and when I looked it didnt look new at all so i undid the sump drained it out and refilled cleaning the gauze filter at the same time. I cant trust anyone here in fact Thailand has given me less faith in people than I already had.

You can check by pulling out the engine oil dipstick and if the oil is a honey colour then the oil has been changed, if its black then it hasn't been changed.

you can also check your window washer bottle under the bonnet has a yellow lid, if its full thats a good indication that the fluid levels have been checked and topped up.

next time you are at a PTT servo, you can check your tyre pressures on the machine if they are all even pressures 26-28 PSI on the rear and 28-32 on the front.

checking all of the above should give you a good indication what type of service you had.

Having said that if you have to check everything they did( which I do all of the time, not just with my car) then you will be better off doing it yourself.

Thats life in the LOS.

I stopped trusting Thai service personal after I had the pickup serviced one time at an oil change place up Theprassit Rd, Phattaya. The oil filter was only put on finger tight. Next day I went to Phitsanulok and arrived after dark. In the morning there was a puddle of oil on the concrete. I crawled under and discovered the loose filter. Checked the dipstick and more than half the oil was gone!

I have a 1.8 liter benzine engine Ford Focus. At the 10,000 kilometer service interval, the dipstick showed the oil to still be caramel colored and not black at all. I mentioned this to the service manager and he changed the interval to 15,000 kilometers. I don't know if this was a dealer decision or Ford's decision. At 5,000 kilometers on my old Nissan diesel truck the oil is black. I would guess that the diesel creates a lot of soot and that quickly blackens the oil.

As i posted earlier ,i use a trusted small garage ,the owner only works there checks my car first tells me what he thinks i need done ,if i want chevrolet spares i have to buy them as they will not sell them to him , if we want we can sit and wait as he does it ,as i know a bit about cars he sometimes even shows me what he is doing and chats about it .

I have a 1.8 liter benzine engine Ford Focus. At the 10,000 kilometer service interval, the dipstick showed the oil to still be caramel colored and not black at all. I mentioned this to the service manager and he changed the interval to 15,000 kilometers. I don't know if this was a dealer decision or Ford's decision. At 5,000 kilometers on my old Nissan diesel truck the oil is black. I would guess that the diesel creates a lot of soot and that quickly blackens the oil.

Oil in a diesel engine will be pretty black after 1000Kms unless the EGR is blanked. In a gasoline engine you wouldn't expect it be dark even after 10K Kms.

I stopped trusting Thai service personal after I had the pickup serviced one time at an oil change place up Theprassit Rd, Phattaya. The oil filter was only put on finger tight. Next day I went to Phitsanulok and arrived after dark. In the morning there was a puddle of oil on the concrete. I crawled under and discovered the loose filter. Checked the dipstick and more than half the oil was gone!

Opposite problem here....I tried to do an oil change but couldn't get the filter off - was on way too tight, which made me wonder if it was actually replaced when the garage supposedly did the oil change. Looked at past invoices an no oil filter has been billed !!! This time I've marked it so that I'll know if it's been replaced or not.

My Vios has just had a two year service. At the dealership I go to you can sit and watch them work. if you so desire. They did change the oil, dismantle and clean the brakes, and generally tighten some nuts... The only thing I had to pay for was the oil. Having said that, I have only done 13,000 KM in two years so there can't have been much that needed doing. They did also wash it, and it looks like they have used a brillo pad on the bonnet (hood)which I was not particularly impressed with. The problem is, as I understand it is you have to get these service checks done at a main dealership while the car is under warranty, otherwise the warranty becomes invalid. One the car's warranty is up, you can go where you like.

Fords recommend Focus oil change every 15,000 km for regular use. Should be a section in your owners book with the service schedule or look at the page on the Ford web site http://www.ford.co.th/en/ford-owners/services/ford-engine-oil This details "regular use" in a way that dealers could interpret to sell shorter intervals.

It is wise not to completely trust dealers in LOS or anywhere else and to check work done on a vehicle. Usually the work is done but occasionally something on the schedule is missed. Never had a service where the oil and filter were not changed, but the air filters are overlooked sometimes. Some dealers are too good at selling brake rebuilds, others don't try.

Most dealers have servicemen rather than mechanics so diagnostic skills are limited, but that is not unique to Thailand. The bigger dealers tend to better than the smaller ones who sometimes don't even have a diagnostic computer.

At least the pain of paying is less in LOS. smile.png

Edited by Jitar

Same with my Toyota main dealer in Phuket Town. They called me on my mobile when I was driving home after I'd collected the paperwork, after I'd checked everything was ticked on the list as being done and after I'd paid paid the money.

They called me to say they'd forgotten something.

They'd "forgotten" to do the entire service. I had to go back and wait another couple of hours.

So much for the "check-list" which is supposed to indicate everything was done correctly. So much for oversight by any works foreman that everything was in order.

They just tick it all off, pass it to accounts and you pay. Whether it's been done or not.

Haven't used them since. Now use a local guy to change my oil and filter. Another garage to change my shocks and mounting points.

Edited by JetsetBkk

not sure I can put up names but it is the toyota dealership in Si Wichae rd near the Surat Thani public hospital. I now use the new dealership near big c, you can watch them do it from the reception area with a coffee etc while you wait. Actually bought my vios there last year and the wife knows the manager which also help although I think it is linked to the dud one but without the problems.

Edited by seajae

Here is the Forum Rule pertaining to the post above -

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.
Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to
suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is
published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any
means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading
picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in
Thailand.

As always, the PM function is the best method of corresponding information which may be in violation of this rule.

not sure I can put up names but it is the toyota dealership in Si Wichae rd near the Surat Thani public hospital. I now use the new dealership near big c, you can watch them do it from the reception area with a coffee etc while you wait. Actually bought my vios there last year and the wife knows the manager which also help although I think it is linked to the dud one but without the problems.

I also had problems with that dealer and now use the Tapee branch because it is more convenient than going to Tha Thong.

I've had a few Honda's and the engine service light is activated by mileage (8000 kms) I believe. I always do my own servicing and change oil every 5000k. When service light comes on, hold odometer reset button down and turn ignition to run but not start. After a few seconds, service light will reset.

Service lights need to be manually reset. I watched the Suzuki guys service my bike and the light stayed on. We all tried to figure it out how to shut it off and couldn't. On a follow up visit they did. Google how to reset your service indicator light before you get to harsh with the staff.