Public criticism of US ambassador worrying, says PM Prayut

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ISIS in there country but only hear about Davies and the red shirts. If Thailand loses America then they have no one. There railway deal with the Chinese failed because they would not bye rubbers from Thailand!

I don't think the government can actually ask for the removal or censure of a Diplomat. Remember in Thailand the Ambassador is to the Court of Chraki, not to the government. In point of fact any critism of a Diplomat accredited to the Court is in many ways grounds for a charge of LM

Is that fact or just your opportunistic opinion?

Off topic posts have been removed. A post bringing the Royal family into the discussion has been removed as per the following:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.
By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.
To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.
Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

" If he wishes to know anything related to Thailand, the government is ready to provide complete details". Arai wa? blink.png

Even the yanks don't provide complete details about anything so don't expect their student, Thailand, to do the same. coffee1.gif

I doubt that any government or anyone, gives complete details about all things. The US is not unique, which includes it being the target of envy, imagination or boredom.

As for Thailand being a student of the US, I've not seen the school yearbook that lists who is the teacher and who are the students. If it were indeed a student, it would be receiving failing grades.

the [uS] ambassador. If he wishes to know anything related to Thailand; does this sound some what familiar of an ex priminister asked to go to the EU parliarment to provide information relating to Thailand?

Meanwhile a group calling itself the Federation Monitoring the Thai State yesterday filed a police petition calling on the authorities to investigate whether Davies has committed lese majeste. if he is a diplomat wouldn't he just be given a slap on the wrist ?

I suppose if LoS wants a real scrap they could demand Washington remove him from his post which could provoke all sorts of fun.

Could shut down the other half of Thai , the airport Bus part

"This may be new knowledge to the [uS] ambassador. If he wishes to know anything related to Thailand, the government is ready to provide complete details. He should not seek information by himself without sounding out an understanding of the country's background, since ill-intentioned groups could mislead him."

This patronizing claptrap is clearly not really a statement to the ambassador who has all the access to information that he could possibly desire.

So who is the moron really addressing with this statement? And how stupid does he believe people are? whistling.gif

The US in general does not really shine in diplomatic matters.

The US lacks finesse.

It is "not done" to surpass a government openly.

And it is certainly frowned upon when an ambassador is making a kind of statement.

He should not seek information by himself without sounding out an understanding of the country's background,

The ambassador probably knows Thai history and the current events in Thailand better than any government spokesman.

Based on the Ambassador comments so far, he seems to know little about Thailand. And I am an American. Ambassadorships are given out to friends of the President, not based on any knowledge of any country. I do believe that this Ambassador, being a friend of our President, an admitted "Social Activist", thinks he was sent here to teach Thailand how to act within their own government. He could not be more wrong about his mission here. Someone in the states needs to help him understand what his job involves, because he has been way out of line. Send him back to the states to be taught the role of an Ambassador. He is not going to make it any easier for us expats, that is for sure.

And I am an American....what do you mean by that exactly? That statement seems to be a bit out of place, maybe it's as if you think that being an American gives you some special insight? Please explain?

I don't think the government can actually ask for the removal or censure of a Diplomat. Remember in Thailand the Ambassador is to the Court of Chraki, not to the government. In point of fact any critism of a Diplomat accredited to the Court is in many ways grounds for a charge of LM

Is that fact or just your opportunistic opinion?

Why, do you want to make an accusation against a Diplomat who has received Royal accreditation?

Dangerous territory

Edited by GinBoy2

He should not seek information by himself without sounding out an understanding of the country's background,

The ambassador probably knows Thai history and the current events in Thailand better than any government spokesman.

Based on the Ambassador comments so far, he seems to know little about Thailand. And I am an American. Ambassadorships are given out to friends of the President, not based on any knowledge of any country. I do believe that this Ambassador, being a friend of our President, an admitted "Social Activist", thinks he was sent here to teach Thailand how to act within their own government. He could not be more wrong about his mission here. Someone in the states needs to help him understand what his job involves, because he has been way out of line. Send him back to the states to be taught the role of an Ambassador. He is not going to make it any easier for us expats, that is for sure.

And I am an American....what do you mean by that exactly? That statement seems to be a bit out of place, maybe it's as if you think that being an American gives you some special insight? Please explain?

Simple explanation. Our friend Stoli is short on knowledge and long on opinion.

C'mon. Let's have some fun. I want to see them lock Davies up for lese majeste.

hit-the-fan.gif

hh

I am becoming bored with following U.S. Presidential Candidates. Pleeeze...provide much needed entertainment! The U.S. will probably, diplomatically, ignore the call for investigating its Ambassador for lese majeste but...think of the fun to be had. The sheer embarrassment of already proving the point of the misuse of lese majeste is worth something. But please...do continue to press trying to silence a representative of another country. Popcorn is in the microwave....

Edited by wwest5829

Hey, why don't you join the pink or yellow or any other color idiots on the street and protest with them?

Annnnd here we go...it's Obama's fault! The anti Obama voice is heard in Thailand! Good show. To others, not involved in the U.S. disapproval of the President...I apologize. Eight years I stomached "W" but some in the U.S. will be eternally angry at the way history treats "W" poorly versus Obama.

"Government Spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said yesterday almost every country had shown support for the government after the Foreign Ministry explained the government was exercising limited power to keep peace and order in the country."

It's quite bizarre how in this day and age a supposedly educated man can somehow think that blatantly lying in the face of voluminous evidence that contradicts the lie will somehow cut it. The Internet, and the almost complete impossibility of shutting down the flow of information has made people like this spokesman a dinosaur. I guess it sums up the junta-from-another-age, although one is aware that they have no inkling of this.

"It's quite bizarre how in this day and age a supposedly educated man can somehow think that blatantly lying in the face of voluminous evidence that contradicts the lie will somehow cut it."

And yet it works for governments worldwide, they're all blatant liars and they don't care who knows it.

His entire talk, and questions afterwards, is now up on youtube. He begins his Thailand remarks at about 14:50 and the 'controversy' happens at 24:30.

who was that frigging IoT geek who didn't actually ask a question? Wow, just wow...

So yeah, what a controversy... The military courts have handed down the longest LM sentences in Thai history and the ambassador calls that out. ... Davies was soooo deferential to the "government" that I could hardly believe it.

His entire talk, and questions afterwards, is now up on youtube. He begins his Thailand remarks at about 14:50 and the 'controversy' happens at 24:30.

Great talk. This guy is sharp and knows his stuff. He's in a difficult position here.

'Meanwhile a group calling itself the Federation Monitoring the Thai State yesterday filed a police petition calling on the authorities to investigate whether Davies has committed lese majeste.' Here we go. Another group of Thai 'Dim Somes', unable to grasp the link between the LM 'law' and the concept of freedom of speech. And equally unable to vocalise a convincing argument for LM.

And for the record, the ambassador is titled H.E.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

Our ambassador is not one of your hacks to be manipulated. All sides must and should be consulted and a full investigation conducted to understand why Thailand would abandon its attempts at democracy in exchange for military dictatorship. It may be surprising to the military leaders but the US has seen this situation before just 90 miles off our shores and again, surprisingly, it is the dictatorship that is usually causing the oppression. We also know dictators lie so yes all sides should have an opportunity to express their side of the story because that's what we do in a real democracy!

the [uS] ambassador. If he wishes to know anything related to Thailand; does this sound some what familiar of an ex priminister asked to go to the EU parliarment to provide information relating to Thailand?

Meanwhile a group calling itself the Federation Monitoring the Thai State yesterday filed a police petition calling on the authorities to investigate whether Davies has committed lese majeste. if he is a diplomat wouldn't he just be given a slap on the wrist ?

Well with all due respect The Ambassador should know some thing about Thailand when he assumed the job.

Any one out side of the bar crowd knows you don't tell Thai's what to do if you have no authority over them.

The man is obviously incompetent for the job of Ambassador. Maybe lower down in the service learning how

to be diplomatic and when to say nothing.

Reminds me of when the States told the Palestine to have an election so they did and then the States wouldn't recognize the winner.whistling.gif

Yes they can not charge him he has diplomatic immunity. Even though to this point he has shown a complete

lack of knowledge about being diplomatic as well as knowledge about Thailand.

Does any one think the states will invade Thailand. It wouldn't be the first country they invaded with no

valid reason other than to make a ton of money off of the arms suppliers and former business partners.coffee1.gif

Edited by northernjohn

Well with all due respect The Ambassador should know some thing about Thailand when he assumed the job.

Any one out side of the bar crowd knows you don't tell Thai's what to do if you have no authority over them.

The man is obviously incompetent for the job of Ambassador. Maybe lower down in the service learning how

to be diplomatic and when to say nothing.

Reminds me of when the States told the Palestine to have an election so they did and then the States wouldn't recognize the winner.whistling.gif

Yes they can not charge him he has diplomatic immunity. Even though to this point he has shown a complete

lack of knowledge about being diplomatic as well as knowledge about Thailand.

Does any one think the states will invade Thailand. It wouldn't be the first country they invaded with no

valid reason other than to make a ton of money off of the arms suppliers and former business partners.coffee1.gif

Does that mean no one can have an opinion or critize anymore, how democratic is that?

northernjohn: Did you listen to his talk? I was there and heard every word spoken by the highly-intelligent well-experienced foreign service career officer. He was positive, diplomatic and respectful of the Thai people and government. Some ideals should not be compromised and thank goodness he did not compromise them.

northernjohn: Did you listen to his talk? I was there and heard every word spoken by the highly-intelligent well-experienced foreign service career officer. He was positive, diplomatic and respectful of the Thai people and government. Some ideals should not be compromised and thank goodness he did not compromise them.

Doesn't look like he listened to the video. If he had, I hope he wouldn't have posted what he did. This guy is sharp and is well prepared for working with Thailand. Not an easy task right now.

Doesn't look like he listened to the video. If he had, I hope he wouldn't have posted what he did. This guy is sharp and is well prepared for working with Thailand. Not an easy task right now.

The modus operandi for many a prognosticator on TVF is to comment on their 'perception and bias' towards whats being said, you don't need to actually listen or read the details.....details just muddy the waters!

As the old newspaper saying goes; 'News too good to check'....seems quite apt for many a commentator on TVF