Fatal Road Accident in Jomtien

webfact

Fatal Road Accident in Jomtien

crash-2.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Sunday afternoon a motorbike driver was killed after his bike collided with a fast-moving Minivan, which is suspected of jumping a red traffic light. The driver of the minivan ran away from the scene before authorities arrived.

The crash occurred at the Chayapreuk intersection with the Sukhumvit Road at just before 2pm on Sunday and resulted in the death of Khun Wutipat aged 29 who was crossing the Sukhumvit Road from Soi Chaypreuk 2 to Soi Chayapreuk 1 and was travelling towards Jomtien Beach.

A fast-moving Minivan Taxi, which was travelling from Bangkok to Sattahip appears to have jumped a red traffic light and struck the motorbike side-on, throwing the bike driver onto the pavement. He was declared dead-at-the-scene.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/219580/fatal-road-accident-in-jomtien/#prettyPhoto

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-12-07

These mini vans go in the very far left lane, which is normally used by those turning left. They jump the light to get ahead of the traffic. It's tough right there as lots of scooters turn left on Suk also, many never even look to see if there is traffic. I came close to nailing one yesterday. Pulled right onto Suk and never looked to see if it was clear.

RIP to this young man. They should lock up the van driver for many years, especially for leaving the scene of an accident. Coward.

I wonder if there were passengers in the minibus

Why ??

Because

1) In a society with the rule of law, they would function as an excellent source of witness testimony for the police.

2) It would be interesting to hear their comments as they were whisked away from the scene of an accident in which someone was killed by the alleged killer.

3) People would like to know if they still had to pay their fare.

Those mini van goes like a rocket, I just can't understand a speed limiter is mandatory to have fitted (say 100km/h) in those mini vans.

Even when riding my big bike they sometimes overtakes me when I find it too risky riding too fast, but those idiot drivers are so busy getting from A to B that they don't care, money comes fist.

Sad about the scooter rider, RIP.

Every time I be to Thai I see vans are a major issue. What are these drivers thinking ?

The GP is in Monarco

You need to understand that these van routes are very profitable, do not require any technical expertise, controlled by powerful dark influences and robustly defended against commercial threats. Typically they would be "owned" by a politician, senior military figure or senior policeman. They cannot be controlled by law enforcement. They tell the law enforcement what they can do. As might be expected, profitable enterprises operating outside the law do not employ shrinking violets or nice, polite, law-abiding citizens. They employ tough guys who can work as drivers and will do anything that their boss wants them to do.

Edited by Briggsy

Many thai drivers believe they are entitled to run the red light for the simple reason that, when the lights turn green, there is a 1 minute delay while all the front drivers are admiring themselves in the mirror or popping zits, unaware of the lights change. Those drivers behind have been deprived of the chance to be on their merry way so think it is perfectly fair for a few to jump the red lights, often with disastrous results :(

I was doing a visa run one time, when the van driver ran a red light over taking a truck on the left, he hit a young lady who was parking her motocycle infront of a seven eleven.

She was seriously injured and her face was cut to pieces( and would be scared for the rest of her life). the women in the van were screaming in shock.

The van driver tried to make a run for it, we grabbed him, he tried to fight us but two big swedes held him until the police came.

When he gave his side of the story, he claimed it was everyone eles fault and wouldn't accept any wrong doing, no remorse what so ever, he even tried to have us charged with assault.

Edited by Rocceao

Every time I be to Thai I see vans are a major issue. What are these drivers thinking ?

The GP is in Monarco

You need to understand that these van routes are very profitable, do not require any technical expertise, controlled by powerful dark influences and robustly defended against commercial threats. Typically they would be "owned" by a politician, senior military figure or senior policeman. They cannot be controlled by law enforcement. They tell the law enforcement what they can do. As might be expected, profitable enterprises operating outside the law do not employ shrinking violets or nice, polite, law-abiding citizens. They employ tough guys who can work as drivers and will do anything that their boss wants them to do.

These tough guys seem to run away a lot!

These mini vans go in the very far left lane, which is normally used by those turning left. They jump the light to get ahead of the traffic. It's tough right there as lots of scooters turn left on Suk also, many never even look to see if there is traffic. I came close to nailing one yesterday. Pulled right onto Suk and never looked to see if it was clear.

RIP to this young man. They should lock up the van driver for many years, especially for leaving the scene of an accident. Coward.

My girlfriend was knocked off her motorbike over the weekend when stationary waiting at a set of lights, some idiot went through the red light, cut the corner and hit her whilst she was waiting for her lights to go green. There was a police guy at the corner and saw what happened, he blew his whistle at the car who carried on driving, no chase was given nor even a number taken. He did help her up and put back the mirror that had been knocked off, which was something I guess. In my youth I used to race motocross all over the UK and have driven cars in many countries, but nowhere compares with the complete disregard to other fellow motorists than in this selfish country, where Thais seem to think they are THE only person on the road and everyone else, as they HAVE to get to wherever they may be going, in the quickest time possible, only to then sit on their ass and eat or sleep for the few extra seconds/minutes they may have saved by driving/riding like a lunatic. You really have to expect the unexpected in Thailand and them some, in order to try and keep safe, and even then that might not be enough!

KB

Edited by Kiteboy57

The GP is in Monarco

These tough guys seem to run away a lot!

They do, but in these parts of the world there's a high possibility of being lynched at the roadsde by a baying-mob. Also, the Thai's fear of confrontation anyway.

I always kept this in mind when working in Africa, in the eventuality of an RTA.

RIP to the dead guy.

The GP is in Monarco

I hear that many of these 'drivers' use yabaa to keep them awake - as you say they work in a dangerous lawless business which has little concern for the passengers or public.

To me, one of the biggest problems is that you have "cops" that have no idea of what it means to be a cop. Traffic laws? They don't know them, and don't bother to enforce the ones they do know.

Actually stopping someone for speeding? Never happens.

Actually stopping someone for reckless driving? Never happens.

Actually going after someone who ran a red light? Never happens.

Setting up checkpoints to collect tea money (bribes) for people not wearing helmets. Hey, a good days work.

Fire the entire lot of them, let the Army handle for a while (they couldn't do any worse), then bring in PROFESSIONALS from Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, hire all new candidates and train them the right way, and instill a sense of pride in them. Only then will Thailand have an actual Police Force instead of lazy bums in brown.

Edited by Just1Voice

Whatever became of that "crackdown" on crazed mini van drivers trumpeted a few months back?

Like all "crackdowns" in Thailand it's just window dressing. Appearances are everything and reality is to be denied. I believe the Thai phrase is "phut maak tam noi".

What makes it even worse is the double parkers at the 7-11 or Family Mart on the South bound corner. You basically have 4 lanes of traffic on Suk at that point , one lane to turn left, two lanes to go straight, and one lane to turn right or do a U turn. Once the light changes everyone moves to the right despite the lack of road stripes, so it is a free for all and if you are in the "straight" lanes you have to be aware of being passed on both the right and left

I think that many times it is not the vans concern for traffic that is the reason to jump the light but to be the first to pick up new passengers on the South side of the intersection that is the motivation

A simple red light camera and the loss of vans companies license would put a stop to this practice but will never happen because the van owners are well protected. Once again, don't blame only the drivers, it is the owners who encourage a system where the only way for a driver to make money is to violate the law and common sense

As soon as I read the headline I knew there would be a minivan involved.

I watch in my mirror and immediately get well out of the way if I see one. They are crazy to get to the next pickup point before another minibus. Absolute disregard for any other road user or pedestrian or any road laws. Hitting and killing someone will have spoiled his bonus and that will have been his only consideration for the loss of a young life.

The terribly sad truth is he will probably be back on the road shortly with a slap on the wrist and some of his salary taken to pay for the time loss and damage.

He will have to drive faster to make up the difference.