Thai driving license

Andrew65

Hello Andrew,

To determine what is required to obtain a 'Thai Drivers License' will be based on what license(s) your friend currently holds and where the friend will go to apply for the license. For a foreigner there are some basic requirements that must be met such a residency certificate, copies of passport, original license and similar.

These topics are well covered on the internet, and as some requirements and the process will change based on geographic location,

I would suggest a basic search with a focus on what area the license will be applied for in.

Having just completed the process myself last week, I will share my experience with the Kalasin Provincial Land Transportation Office.

I hold a US State of Colorado Drivers license for a car only with an International Drivers Permit , additionally I am a US Passport holder in Thailand on a Tourist Visa. My goal was to receive the Thailand Car Drivers license and the Thailand Motorcycle License.

The Thai system for licenses is a bit different than the US, as each license is considered a separate document and must be applied for separately, with two cards being issued - one for each license.

To apply, I brought the following:

1. Original Drivers License & International Drivers Permit

2. Residency Certificate (Proof of Address) : Obtained at the local police station-
3 days to complete, document was hand-delivered to my home at no charge!

3. Passport w/visa and departure card

4. Medical Certificate: obtained at the local clinic: 30 minutes to prepare, and cost 50 Bhat.

5. Copies of some of the above documents such as passport photo page, visa, etc

6. *** Translator in the form of my Thai GF: If she was not there it would of been near to
impossible to complete the process.***

Application Process:

1. Drivers License: Because I hold a valid Foreign license, Thailand will issue you a Temporary License (2 yr) with no test. This required the following:

a. Submit the application, and required documents

b. Take eye exam and depth perception test
c. Pay fee 205 Bhat

d. Take picture for license

e. Wait for license to be printed

We arrived at 1030AM on a Monday morning and were able to complete the above within 90 mins.

2. Motorcycle License: No US motorcycle license so the process is different, and includes training with both a written and driving test.

a. Submit the application and required documents (Day 1 - Monday)

b. Classroom Training - 5 hours of video based training (English Subtitles) (Day 2 - Tuesday)

c. Written Test: Computer based in English, 50 questions (Day 3 - Wed AM)

d. Driving Test: Basic driving skills test, 10 mins (Day 3 - Wed PM)
e. Pay fee - 105 Bhat

f. Take Picture

g. Wait for license to be printed

We arrived at 9am for written test and I was done in about 1 hour, returning in the afternoon for driving test and photo- completed in about 1.5 hours

Notes:

a. The Thai staff we very serious about ALL applicants taking the training, and passing both tests.

b. The training and tests are given on separate days, which meant a two day minimum to apply, train and test.

c. The training video was helpful, but would not allow one to pass the test without outside preparation.

d. The test was in English and easy with prior preparation, ( I scored 50/50 on my first attempt, and even got a thumbs up from the proctor!)

e. To prepare for the test see this interactive online test (http://thaidriving.info/) - It made passing the test very easy.

f. The driving test was basic, and given my scooter was 45km away, I was able to rent a scooter on-site for 50 Bhat.

Overall the process was ok, though as mentioned, without my Thai girlfriend who speaks good English and is a very organized and proper mid-level government worker, it would of been quite difficult at this location.

The staff as the location were generally good, though one wanted me to have my International Drivers Permit translated as another private location - which after further discussion with my GF he changed his mind. Another staff member suggested we go to the Kalasin University for the training and test (only 400 BHAT!), we declined and proceeded to do the regular process.

*** I understand there are new laws coming into effect next year, and that the training and testing will both be expanded. While a good development for all of Thailand, it may make the process more difficult for those without a foreign license.

I hope this helps, Cheers!

Troy

Archived