Just want to make sure I am clear...

I live in the United States. I have purchased a round trip ticket to Thailand leaving next month and my stay will be just under 60 days. It is my understanding that I do not have to get a Visa, here, in the United States to travel to Thailand. I will go there and it is okay for me to stay for 30 days. At that point, I need to leave the country and come back in so that I can stay another 30 days.

Do I need to fly out of the country? I was planning a trip to Angkor Wat. Can I take the bus to go there and come back? I think I have read that is no longer an option for a Visa run.

I know this is kind of basic stuff, but there is a ton of info out there, and some of it is conflicting.

Unfortunately, the problem with your plan is that you will likely be denied boarding the airplane in the U.S. going to Thailand because you have no visa in your passport for Thailand. The airline knows you will only get 30 days on entry and they're obligated to be difficult about this out of fear that Thailand won't allow you in, even though of course Thailand WILL let you in, but the airline doesn't want to have to pay to fly you back, which they wouldn't because you would be let in. So your issue is with the U.S. -- not Thailand.

You could solve this problem by getting a single entry tourist visa (good for a 60 day stay / one entry only) at a Thai embassy or consulate in the U.S. which you only need for 30 days you say, but that way you can be boarded and then go to Cambodia (no need to fly) and when you reenter you will get a 30 day stamp to stay in Thailand (not a visa).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Okay. That's not good.

It MIGHT be possible to still be boarded this way:

Buy an AIR ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days of entering Thailand to anywhere.

Expect you will probably be challenged to board.

You will have that evidence and they might allow you to board with that and/or also signing a legal statement absolving them of financial liability if you aren't allowed to enter Thailand.

Frankly, it's also possible you'll encounter an incompetent/overworked agent who doesn't really check your passport. They are really supposed to, that's why I say incompetent.

Another thing I would suggest that you do is to call your airline with your exact plan and simply ask them, will you board me with no visa, no air ticket?

Probably no.

Then ask them if you can show the ticket out. Of course that's no guarantee but it's worth asking.

Getting a visa you will definitely be boarded.

Also, keep in mind that IF you had a RT ticket with no visa but the return out of Thailand was within 30 days, that would be very standard with no problem to be boarded. Your issue is that you have a RT with a return later than 30 days and no visa. So if you call your airline you need to be clear about that.

Edited by Jingthing

There is no Thai consulate within 500 miles of me. How do I get a Visa? Can I do this online?

No, you can't do it online, but you can do it by mailing them your passport with the fully completed application and fee. The consulate can provide info to you about the mailing details including getting it mailed back. Then your issue is timing depending on when your flight is.

Where is your closest consulate?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Well. I feel like a complete idiot. The nearest consulate is in Los Angeles. I am north of San Francisco. The whole "by mail" thing would be great. Except my flight leaves January 12. I don't see that going well at all.

That's rather tight, but maybe there is still time if you start this now:

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=26

Applications are usually processed approximately two weeks not including mailing time. However, lately we have received more applications than we normally receive at this time so processing time could take longer. When submitting an application by mail, a self-addressed stamped envelope with sufficient postage stamps is required. Metered stamps should not be used, please use a regular stamp only. ( Recommened using USPS $19.95 Express Mail Flat Rate/ NO FEDEX without a FedEx account, NO UPS without a UPS account ).
Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Thank you for all the responses. I can't believe I overlooked this. I thought things would be good because I have a return flight booked, didn't occur to me I would have issues LEAVING the country. Duh.

I will make some phone calls tomorrow. Of course today is Sunday, right? I am dubious about mailing off my passport and taking my chances that way. I will call the airline, and look into my other options.

Regardless of what your airline might tell you on the telephone, If you show up 12JAN2016 for your flight without either a Tourist Visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate or a ticket out of Thailand with 30 days of your arrival (to Cambodia?), you are setting yourself for a possible major-league headache when you check-in at the ticket counter.

Regardless of what your airline might tell you on the telephone, If you show up 12JAN2016 for your flight without either a Tourist Visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate or a ticket out of Thailand with 30 days of your arrival (to Cambodia?), you are setting yourself for a possible major-league headache when you check-in at the ticket counter.

Yes, that would be a gamble for sure. If doing so, I would arrive very early and have that AIR ticket out of Thailand within 30 days, probably to Cambodia. People report different experiences with having their passports examined. In my experience from the U.S. they do check about 75 percent of the time.

I have no problem purchasing a ticket out of Thailand to go somewhere else before 30 days. Do you think this will be enough to avoid getting turned away at the gate?

With the caveat that a Check-in agent can be a world unto themselves, yes -- a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days should be enough.

You can buy a one way ticket to a nearby country near the end of you 30 day entry. Check one of the low cost carriers such as Air Asia.

If you decided not to make a trip out of the country you can get a 30 day extension of your entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

• Like 2

I came over from a couple of weeks ago,with the same plan as the OP. At check-in the airline asked me about a return ticket. I told them I had an onward ticket to Kuala Lumpur,that was enough for them. i expected to show it to Thai immigration officials but nobody asked. I didn't really need the ticket, glad I had it though just the same.

I would liked to have gotten a 60 day tourist visa before I left the US, but the Thai Embassy said they needed at least 2 weeks to process it and I wasn't willing to wait that long.

I doubt I will use the ticket to KL as it'll be cheaper and easier to just go to Vientiane for a couple of days and get a tourist visa there.

Seems you're suppose to have proof of return or onward travel, apparently they don't really check or or only check if you smell suspicious,so best to have for CYA.

Edited by Rob13
  • Like 1

It's all going to depend on the airline as they are the ones who get stuck with the cost of immediately getting your out of country if Thai immigration refuses your admittance into the country because you have no outward bound flight within 30 days.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/thai-visas-for-americans.html

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/thailand.html

post-55970-0-46268000-1450666718_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

Don't stress yourself and get a flight booking out of Thailand.

Either as a throw away as described in #20 or if you really plan to go to Cambodia then like described in #18.

Throw away booking:

You leave on Jan 12.

U-Tapao - Singapore oneway, Feb 1,2,3 or 4

890 Baht plus some payment/CC cost.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, my mother flew out here from San Francisco last week on Korean Airlines. Her return was scheduled for 53 days later. She had no problem at the check-in counter, with not having any sort of visa or outward ticket in the 30 day timeframe. Once she arrived we got her a 30 day extension at the immigration office. No problems.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, my mother flew out here from San Francisco last week on Korean Airlines. Her return was scheduled for 53 days later. She had no problem at the check-in counter, with not having any sort of visa or outward ticket in the 30 day timeframe. Once she arrived we got her a 30 day extension at the immigration office. No problems.

For what it's worth, he probably does not look like your Mother. I have known people forced to buy a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days at the airport before being allowed to check-in and board.

There is no Thai consulate within 500 miles of me. How do I get a Visa? Can I do this online?

------------------------------

You can do it by mail.

I have not been back in the U.S. in 2 years, but it is my understanding they still have a working U.S. mail system.

In fact the last time I was in the U.S. I got a new Social Security card .

It was mailed to my brother's stateside address, who then sent it to me by overnight service.

I got the card 24 hours after my brother received it.

For what it's worth, he probably does not look like your Mother. I have known people forced to buy a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days at the airport before being allowed to check-in and board.

Not sure what his mother looks like...but it's possible. I am a 45 year old woman. Lol. Not many women frequent this board?

• Like 1

Not sure what his mother looks like...but it's possible. I am a 45 year old woman. Lol. Not many women frequent this board?

Not too many.

Thanks for all your replies. I know it was stupid of me not to be more prepared. I would absolutely do this by mail, but honestly I am way too paranoid that I won't get my passport back in time to leave. Then I really won't be going anywhere.

Thanks for all your replies. I know it was stupid of me not to be more prepared. I would absolutely do this by mail, but honestly I am way too paranoid that I won't get my passport back in time to leave. Then I really won't be going anywhere.

I would generally suggest getting the visa but given that this is holiday season and even the reliable Portland Consulate will be closed until 2 JAN I think buying the ticket out of Thailand within 30 days is the way to go.