Unseasonal weather in Europe and elsewhere creates air pollution spikes

Jonathan Fairfield

Unseasonal weather in Europe and elsewhere creates air pollution spikes

By Robert Hackwill

606x341_319692.jpg

Air pollution is reaching record levels in many countries, particularly in China. At least 10 cities and one province are on “red alert”.

Beijing declared a “red alert” for the first time this year in early December, before repeating it last week. Schools are recommended to close. Students and teachers hope the weather improves.

“Of course I expect blue skies tomorrow. I’m a teacher and I hope blue skies will return so that the children can be back to study in their classrooms,” said teacjher Li Jina.

The situation is dangerous in the city of Xinxiang.

The concentration of particularly dangerous particles has reached a level, (730 mcg/m3), 30 times the maximum recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO).

In Iran’s capital air quality has been in the “red alert” zone since last week, with the volume of particles rising seven times beyond acceptable levels, according local media.

In addition the average number of deaths in Tehran has increased from 150 to 180 people a day, one local official said.

Meanwhile, in Europe the municipality of Milan, in northern Italy, has decided to ban all traffic on 28, 29 and 30 December, (between 10 am and 16 pm), to fight against pollution exceeding permitted limits.

In Rome, the same decision has been taken for Monday and Tuesday after the city’s alternating traffic system was recently implemented several times.

In Madrid in Spain the City Council has activated traffic restrictions for the third time.

Bosnia & Herzegovina is experiencing high air pollution levels. In Sarajevo schools are closed. Health institutions recommend the use of protective masks which are not currently available in Sarajevo pharmacies.

Volunteers are distributing masks for free.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-12-25

...nothing to do with the volcanic eruptions lately....hmmm...

...dunno if we ever get 'a whole story'.....

I understand your skepticism, and the fallout from erupting volcanoes would only influence the weather after at least three months after each eruption--the particles take a long time to diffuse.However, these events are very rare, and we do not have more than two centuries of data, but that does not mean human beings are (perhaps) altering the climate. We are.

Ok, gives us the global warming crap once again, because some pockets need to be filled.

A week ago there was also an article that it was the hottest winter since decades in Thailand, but they conveniently forgot quickly that last year was the coldest winter in decades.

Ok, gives us the global warming crap once again, because some pockets need to be filled.

A week ago there was also an article that it was the hottest winter since decades in Thailand, but they conveniently forgot quickly that last year was the coldest winter in decades.

It is not "Global Warming" crap.

That's a incorrect label conveniently provided by the corporate media.

It is "Climate Change".....hotter and colder., wetter and dryer weather.

Get it now?

The pockets being lined are those of the fossil fuel corporations and the politicians they have bought.

The corporations that are so good at avoiding paying taxes on their profits

so they can afford to buy more politicians

Because we need them so much!

Feel the weather, and then,

Feel the Bern!

Enough is enough!

Edited by willyumiii

...nothing to do with the volcanic eruptions lately....hmmm...

...dunno if we ever get 'a whole story'.....

I understand your skepticism, and the fallout from erupting volcanoes would only influence the weather after at least three months after each eruption--the particles take a long time to diffuse.However, these events are very rare, and we do not have more than two centuries of data, but that does not mean human beings are (perhaps) altering the climate. We are.

Even if humans were not altering the climate, and we are...

We are capable of altering the climate for the better...and we should!

Unfortunately, we do not all share the huge tax exempt profits of the fossil fuel industry..

But we do all share the climate that is going to hell!

Placing the blame for the problem is not nearly as important as doing something to correct the problem!

Over 200 countries have just agreed to try to correct the problem...

and half of Americans still refuse to admit that there even is a problem!

Feel the weather and then, Feel the Bern!

This is ridiculous!

There is no such think as "Climate Change "or "Global Warming"!

The "scientists" the fossil fuel have bought told me so!

And I believe them!

Yep, I do!gigglem.gif

Feel the weather...

Feel the Bern!

What's the deal here? Are you entirely unaware that the discussion doesn't center on whether or not climate change is occurring? Because it is indeed. Only it always has been, as it's perpetual, no less than the phases of the moon or the ocean tides.

The true question is one of if it's been expedited or not by the burning of fossil fuels. The climate has been warming for thousands of years, after all, yet the industrial revolution only kicked off, what, in the 1700's?

I'm not saying man-made climate change is a farce necessarily, but rather that it doesn't automatically render one a simpleton if s/he doubts what the media and academics are saying with regard to it. (And let's not even get into the fact that both institutions are unabashedly left wing.)

Long story short, your argument's a straw man.

It would be better if we just focused on the harm fossil fuels do to our local environments--water, soil, air--as that is undeniable and easy to agree on. Makes one wonder, then, why the powers that be--even the left wing--don't focus on as much themselves?

Could it be that they're in bed with the oil companies as well, and are too busy raking in campaign contributions to risk disrupting the plebeians from arguing amongst themselves?

This is ridiculous!

And I believe them!

Yep, I do!gigglem.gif

Feel the weather...

Feel the Bern!

What's the deal here? Are you entirely unaware that the discussion doesn't center on whether or not climate change is occurring? Because it is indeed. Only it always has been, as it's perpetual, no less than the phases of the moon or the ocean tides.

The true question is one of if it's been expedited or not by the burning of fossil fuels. The climate has been warming for thousands of years, after all, yet the industrial revolution only kicked off, what, in the 1700's?

I'm not saying man-made climate change is a farce necessarily, but rather that it doesn't automatically render one a simpleton if s/he doubts what the media and academics are saying with regard to it. (And let's not even get into the fact that both institutions are unabashedly left wing.)

It would be better if we just focused on the harm fossil fuels do to our local environments--water, soil, air--as that is undeniable and easy to agree on. Makes one wonder, then, why the powers that be--even the left wing--don't focus on as much themselves?

Could it be that they're in bed with the oil companies as well, and are too busy raking in campaign contributions to risk disrupting the plebeians from arguing amongst themselves?

Maybe you have not read my otther post where I state that placing blame for climate change is not as important as trying to improve the problem.

If humans are responsible for most of the problem or not, we are capible of reducing our impact on the climate and possibly even counteracting some of what "nature" is doing.

We should at least try.

I agree that both parties are in bed with the corporations who have no reguard for our health and the health of our environment...but not all.

Bernie Sanders has been very vocal about dealing with climate change and is no friend of the corporations at all.

This is ridiculous!

And I believe them!

Yep, I do!gigglem.gif

Feel the weather...

Feel the Bern!

Maybe you have not read my otther post where I state that placing blame for climate change is not as important as trying to improve the problem.

If humans are responsible for most of the problem or not, we are capible of reducing our impact on the climate and possibly even counteracting some of what "nature" is doing.

We should at least try.

I agree that both parties are in bed with the corporations who have no reguard for our health and the health of our environment...but not all.

Bernie Sanders has been very vocal about dealing with climate change and is no friend of the corporations at all.

No, sorry, I must have missed your earlier post. I like what Bernie's saying, too, as much about "free trade" as about the environment. After all, it's trade agreements that allow jobs to be outsourced to countries without environmental regulations in the first place.

Though, if western governments really cared about reducing CO2 emissions--I mean, were really dead serious about it--they'd levy sin taxes on all products imported from countries like China. We're well past the point where to do business with the west, a company should have to abide by some proven environmental standards.

Even if humans were not altering the climate, and we are...

We are capable of altering the climate for the better...and we should!

But first you would need to know what alteration would be 'for the better'.

Warmer climate and more CO2 = more food production and easier survival conditions.

But if you're stupid, you might think less CO2 and colder would be better.