Report: Israeli windsurfers denied visas to go to Malaysia

rooster59

Report: Israeli windsurfers denied visas to go to Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — The Malaysian government said it has accepted the withdrawal of two Israeli windsurfers from the ISAF world youth sailing championships.

Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin told the Malay Mail Online website that Malaysia, which does not have diplomatic relations with Israel, "is guided by the existing policy of the Malaysian government."

In Jerusalem, the Israel Sailing Association said windsurfers Yoav Omer and Noy Drihan and coach Meir Yaniv would not attend the event that begins Sunday at Langkawi because they had not received visas.

Amir Gill, chairman of the Israel association, also told local media that Malaysia had placed "unacceptable" demands by forbidding athletes from carrying their country's flag or wearing any symbol on their attire and surfboards that showed their country of origin.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-26

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as well as the Malay surfers would have lost the compaction surfing wearing Arab drabs and veils,

Yeah I know stupid comment yes? and so are most of the contributors here who advocate for more

hate even in sporting events, that interestingly enough, started in ancient Greece to compete among

rivals armies in sporting events instead on the battle fields...

Far too much hate, prejudice and paranoia ....

Last week it was the US issuing and then withdrawing denying a UK family visas to visit family and take the kids to DisneyLand. Australia just did the same, refused visa for UK family to visit dying student son. In all these cases, the families are made to bear the cost of the lost air ticket fares.

Our species is sure to end, long before we destroy the planet.

This stuff about Malaysia not admitting Israelis is not new. I heard that they relaxed the rules a few years ago, looks like it's back to un-relaxed.

That is true. It is not new. It is not a surprise. That's why it's DISGUSTING that a nation like that is awarded any INTERNATIONAL sporting events at all.

Dudes, this isn't about the Islamic government of malaysia opposing some ISRAELI government policies. I'm sure they oppose some government policies of all nations. This is about opposing the very existence of just one small nation in the entire world with a majority demographic of JEWISH people. Ironic when you consider the virtual PLETHORA of Muslim dominated nations in the world, such as malaysia.

Edited by Jingthing

This stuff about Malaysia not admitting Israelis is not new. I heard that they relaxed the rules a few years ago, looks like it's back to un-relaxed.

That is true. It is not new. It is not a surprise. That's why it's DISGUSTING that a nation like that is awarded any INTERNATIONAL sporting events at all.

Dudes, this isn't about the Islamic government of malaysia opposing some ISRAELI government policies. I'm sure they oppose some government policies of all nations. This is about opposing the very existence of just one small nation in the entire world with a majority demographic of JEWISH people. Ironic when you consider the virtual PLETHORA of Muslim dominated nations in the world, such as malaysia.

True, perhaps. Maybe not. But it's not about a sporting event or the Olympics.

Not the Olympics.

International Sporting Event ... quacks like a duck, baby.

http://www.isafyouthworlds.com/about/index.php

Funny, in their "news" section they don't mention the bigoted actions towards Israel.

Again if the government of Malaysia is going to act like that, fine, they can, but why they are awarded event like that when their bigotry is well known, that makes no sense.

Edited by Jingthing

Countries that do not have an open-door policy for global athletes should be barred from holding sporting events.

Pity other countries did not withdraw in protest.

Perhaps demand Malaysia's athletes not to display their flag when they travel or play their national anthem if they win. How would they like that? bah.gif

Not the Olympics.

International Sporting Event ... quacks like a duck, baby.

http://www.isafyouthworlds.com/about/index.php

Funny, in their "news" section they don't mention the bigoted actions towards Israel.

Again if the government of Malaysia is going to act like that, fine, they can, but why they are awarded event like that when their bigotry is well known, that makes no sense.

I was referring to one poster's recommendation that Malaysia be barred from entry to the Olympics.

Nations with such policies should simply not be allowed to host international sporting events. That's the scandal here. Shame on malaysia.

And what is you're opinion about the fact that Israel blocks Palestinian athletes to perform in other country's ??? nothing I guess...or you don't know ???

Edited by off road pat

Just the same as Israel blocks Palestinian Athletes to perform abroad....Som Nam Na !!!

It's not as simple as that, and I'm sure you know that.

In any case, what international competitions has Israel been rewarded lately?

I doubt they would get any because of the racist BDS propaganda movement.

Seems reasonable...athletes from apartied South Africa were often barred from international sporting events.

You wouldn't know the meaning of apartheid if it got up and bit you on the tochus, the Judenrein Christian cleansing Palestinian Territories are a far better example of apartheid, as are every Islamic state adopting Sharia as the basis of their legislation.

The Torah...the Sharia...same-same...not different.

There should be one international sporting body that accredits international sporting federations and ensures that all international events are open to all, fair, and free of corruption.

Therefore international sporting federations would be barred from holding events in countries that restricted athletes because nationality or religious affiliations.

P.S.

Would be a first to set up a international body free of corruption and political interference...

Edited by Basil B

People are missing the point....the Israeli athletes could have attended, but THEY decided not to.

"Amir Gill, chairman of the Israel association, also told local media that Malaysia had placed "unacceptable" demands by forbidding athletes from carrying their country's flag or wearing any symbol on their attire and surfboards that showed their country of origin."

So, Malaysia, in the interest of not provoking unrest (to put it mildly) appear to have said ok, compete, but don't flaunt where you're from because there are some (maybe nutcases) that will be offended. This is a common sense, safety-conscious "demand" that Israel refuses to abide by.

It's the Israelis, (again playing the victim card, as per usual) who have CHOSEN not to attend unless they can flaunt where they are from. If they were in it for the sport, they could have been on Langkawi right now, but they chose not to.

Don't build a mosque near Ground Zero had a huge following. Why provoke unease or unrest. Don't show Israeli colours at the competition....same thing. But Israel decided to be the victim, again.

Just the same as Israel blocks Palestinian Athletes to perform abroad....Som Nam Na !!!

It's even more simple as that,.....A bit more than a month ago Israel blocked at there airport the Palestinian football team just before they were boarding on a international flight, on invitation to play a important international competition. Not that I give a toss about football or any other sports ???? but my dear Mother raised me with the wise words, "don't do to others what you don't want to be done to you".....

Now, ... they should not be surprised that there athletes don't get visas...And more country's should do the same.

Just like they did with that other Apartheid regime South Africa.

Regards,

Off Road Pat

It's even more simple as that,.....A bit more than a month ago Israel blocked at there airport the Palestinian football team just before they were boarding on a international flight, on invitation to play a important international competition. Not that I give a toss about football or any other sports ???? but my dear Mother raised me with the wise words, "don't do to others what you don't want to be done to you".....

Now, ... they should not be surprised that there athletes don't get visas...And more country's should do the same.

Just like they did with that other Apartheid regime South Africa.

Regards,

Off Road Pat

Not familiar with the case. Why didn't they go to Jordan to fly out?

As another said, suggesting an equivalence between Israel and apartheid South Africa doesn't make sense. Israeli includes about 20 percent Arab citizens. No separation of water fountains, etc.

Now the stated goals of a future Palestinian state are pretty clear about rules banning Jews from owning land and usually explicitly state NO JEWS at all will be allowed as citizens.

Also keep in mind, nobody is saying that Malaysia or any country can't disagree with policies of other countries, BUT if they are going to reap the benefits of hosting international athletic events, they need to leave the politics out of it and treat all competing teams exactly the same.

Israel of course is being singled out for totally unfair scapegoating. Not surprising as surveys have repeatedly shown that the levels of JEW HATRED are very high in Malaysia. Not only anti-Israel. Anti-Jew. They are usually but not always closely connected. Almost no Jews living there but they hate them so much. For Malaysians and other similar Jew hating nations, if Jews didn't exist, they'd have to INVENT them. Scapegoats serve a political purpose.

Edited by Jingthing

Far too much hate, prejudice and paranoia ....

Last week it was the US issuing and then withdrawing denying a UK family visas to visit family and take the kids to DisneyLand. Australia just did the same, refused visa for UK family to visit dying student son. In all these cases, the families are made to bear the cost of the lost air ticket fares.

Our species is sure to end, long before we destroy the planet.

Sporting is intended to be a place where politics and reservations are checked at the door and men and women compete honorably for sport alone. Borders and immigration have no such pretense, nor obligation- for any nation, nor should they. Nations policing their borders will be the last death sighs of the west. Look for more of it, but not for long. For those of you appalled that a nation can arbitrarily deny certain people rest assured it cannot last long. The "we are the worlders" will prevail and the ill fruit of such suicidal policies will be front and center soon enough.

What "recent" incident was the poster referring to about denying access to an international flight? In August there was an incident about denying West Bank athletes to go into Gaza for a game for the Palestine Cup. Not exactly an international flight. So I suggest if people are going to refer to incidents that they document them here in some way. Otherwise, how are we supposed to know whether people just made things up and/or are not presenting the back story. Thank you.

http://www.palestinechronicle.com/israel-denies-west-bank-based-football-team-entry-to-gaza/

In any case, I am not suggesting everything the Israeli government does is good and defensible. Neither is everything the USA, China, Russia, etc. does.

That isn't the question here. The question is whether Malaysia deserves to host these kind of events (obviously not).

Edited by Jingthing