Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

Since this thread is about Promenada Immigration in general, I think it's appropriate to includes these photos since they contain a lot of useful information especially for 1st time visitors.  Again, this is as of June 2018.  Info can be out of date after these pics are posted...actually I think Imm is moving back to the airport next month???

IMG_0517.JPG

2nd Floor Imm office

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

Ground Floor Imm Office

IMG_0531.JPG

Copy shop next to Imm Office on Ground Floor

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

Edited by Kohsamida

1 hour ago, Lizard2010 said:

I thought this forum was about  immigration information

Not about Hypertheticals

Some people need to keep to the information point

Not about other things

I think Khosimada did a good job posting about how it went at immigration

As other may need to go through this in the future

IMHO

I agree but actually the thread is more about the "challenging" situation at Promenada Imm so scope is a little wider and more open to rants I guess.

11 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

I was there for an "appointment" to get a visa conversion.  Imm set the time specifically for 2pm.  I think the poster that talked about 6:30 was there to queue for a retirement extension (the queue that mixes students and retirees). 

Just a note about "frail, elderly", Imm seems to have "priority lines" for this (see picture of sign I saw at Promenanda).

Sorry your quote of my post got you busted ?

Haha, THANKS, I'd forgotten. Will be there this morning. 

Kohsamida, be very careful about taking photos around the Imm offices.  They don't like it, even if you are in the public spaces of the mall and can make life difficult for you in the future.  I'm speaking from experience.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Kohsamida, be very careful about taking photos around the Imm offices.  They don't like it, even if you are in the public spaces of the mall and can make life difficult for you in the future.  I'm speaking from experience.  

Thanks, good advice.  I was discrete but probably wasn’t the smartest thing to do.

Got there at 6:30, near end of a long line, quite different than used to but this must be the zero dark (not so bright) situation. They were going to take only five more, so we made it just in time, also got a priority status approved. Would have been out by about 10:30, but forgot to do the bank letter. They've gotten touchy about people gaming the system it seems. Anyway, it wasn't a very hard day as usual. If it had just been myself I'd have come about 4:00AM, why not, I don't mind killing a little time and very much enjoy the ride. What I don't enjoy too much is all the carping and back biting on this forum. Figures, though, because these are typical of the nasty attitudes back home that I came to Thailand to get away from. It must be the genes and not the water.  

• Like 1

Tues. 19 arrived 6 a.m. for 1 yr. renewal very long line maybe 150 people all mixed together retirement, medical, student and religious visa so impossible to know if one gets a queue # until the front of the line. I got the second to last # so arrive EARLY told to come back in the p.m passport returned to me and everything in order at 3:30 p.m.

Did my extension a few weeks back.  Arrived at 1100 and got a Q number, went and had The Dukes ribs and steak lunch, missus did some shopping at Rimping and I was all done c/w multi-entry by 1530.  No complaints with Immigration's service and courtesy.   

Funny thing was having 2 visa agents hounding me for business by phone until I said "i'm here with Q number". 555

I have in hand application forms for both extension of temporary stay (TM7) and Re-Entry Permit (TM8).  Both appear to be current (with the text added re handicapped or disabled on the TM7) and BOTH indicate that 4x6cm photographs are required.

I also have in hand a set of instructions prepared by CM Immigration "In case of retirement visa at Chiang Mai Immigration," which I dated February 2017 (when I picked them up).  Those instructions indicate a 2-inch photograph is desired.

Question:  What is the current requirement based on actual experience?

In either case, I assume that photos should be taken on a blue background in order to be acceptable.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Mapguy said:

Question:  What is the current requirement based on actual experience?

In either case, I assume that photos should be taken on a blue background in order to be acceptable.

As the forms state, it's 4cm by 6cm.  And it should be noted that the printed box on the form is a fair amount smaller than the required photo size.

Background.  Medium blue will be accepted.  There have been a few reports in the past that photos without the blue background were rejected although there also were a lot of reports saying that other backgrounds (white, for example) were accepted without comment.  But safest is probably the medium blue background as there have been no reports of those being rejected. 

Thanks.  Glad to have the confirmation.

The recent news about the common queue is somewhat disheartening. But if, indeed, this leads to cross-training personnel so that there is more staff flexibility, then in the long-run, that's good for everyone, officer and client alike.  If I were to work there --- and I am glad I am not -- then I would welcome the change.  Can you image doing TM30s all days long, for example, especially when more than the occasional jerk or some incoherent 80-year-old from Ethiopia (or Iowa, USA) shows up ?!   Yes, some posters have accused officers of being spoiled bureaucrats.  For example, they have been criticised for sitting all day on their tushies and enjoying the benefit of health insurance as government employees.  But after a couple of days working there I can imagine some serious cases of hemorrhoids, even colitis, would strike!  I am much less sympathetic with management, but that's another story.

• Like 1

Don't know if it is a bit of muscle flexing again but our friend who took in her passport yesterday morning to have the final part of a visa change completed, the stamp and boss's signature, was asked to return at 2pm to collect the passport,then was told 3pm, then was told told 4pm and then was told leave your phone number we will call you tomorrow when your passport has been signed off.

No call , so called in to immigration again this afternoon, was told to leave phone number again with a maybe we will call you today or tomorrow to collect your passport. The officer then pointed to a stack of passports that were waiting to be signed off. 

So assuming that it will be signed off sometime tomorrow the lady will have had  3 days of stress wondering if her visa has actually been approved as her original visa expires today!

Priority Line at Immigration

On 20 June I visited Chiang Mai Immigration for my annual extension (retired) along with my dependent wife and new re-entry visa.  I qualify for the priority line by age.  She doesn’t.  Here are some observations:

All queue tickets for regular service had been distributed before I arrived at 10:30.  I was finished by 13:30 including an hour wait through the lunch hour.  I might have been done by 12:00, but the reviewing supervisor chose to take an early lunch.

I hope that Thailand's case, as reported above, was rectified today. I was there today in late morning - early afternoon, and had only a minor sign-off problem (see below) so the report is curious.

The queue line upon my arrival at 10:30 had a nominal number (less than 10) of people.

One big surprise!  My wife (who is not 75) can not any longer go with me through the  priority extension process concurrently as in previous years.  The reason given:  “Too many applicants in the priority queue.”  She will return tomorrow individually as all regular queue tickets had been taken for today.  I had the choice to accompany her tomorrow or go through the priority process on my own. The assistant was not peremptory about refusing my wife. She actually double-checked with an officer inside the main office.  I continued on. My wife will return to the office tomorrow.  I will post further on that change of routine after she returns home.  By the way, I do not beat my wife.  I simply wanted to see what was happening these days within the priority process, and my competent wife was agreeable.

Small note:  I had to go to the copy shop for a copy of my passport ID page to attach to the priority application.  Can’t say that I remembered that requirement!  Took a couple of minutes.

There was a nominal wait in the main waiting area.  I was not directed as a priority case to the 2d floor, as in recent years.  The regular officer on duty, Senior Sergeant Nicky, handled my  case in his usual efficient style.  Initial processing took less than 15 minutes.  No change in requirements or routines.  He otherwise just confirmed the change re dependents riding along with a priority case.

The re-entry visa again on priority, took even less time, with a  very nominal wait. My wife unfortunately will have to wait with the rest of the youngsters tomorrow after she gets her extension. I jumped the routine queue right after she finished with the case at her desk.  Total time was 30 minutes including doubling back to the copy shop to copy the new extension, passing through the queue line once again for a re-entry visa priority queue ticket, then short wait and processing time.

A couple of miscellaneous observations:

Unfortunately, two older English speakers in such a short queue line were a bit difficult to handle. One sputtered furiously as he was sent away (quite politely and efficiently by the assistant on duty)  to do the needful. The second, an aged “challenged” man (a physical mess and clearly very old) also was told to come back. He had difficulty filling in the application for priority status when the assistant checked on her own initiative to see if he qualified, and he had no financial proof documents to name one big problem).   I helped a bit, but he, too, babbled some unkind words to the polite and very efficient assistant who handled matters quite well. Sad!

The current routine appears stable (other than the change in age requirements and service to dependents to accompany the older qualified spouse.

I happen to know where things are at Promenada Immigration  and where to get a nice lunch. It helps!  I have taken the time to suss out the set-up before heading there.  Just go and take a look ahead of time. The on-site informational signage is MUCH improved.  Still, you need to be generally prepared filling the normal requirements.   That way you can deal with any surprises — like mine today — a little better.

Immigration still needs to modernize and make information available on specific requirements easily available, not just on visiting the site. Progress on this is glacially slow, a significant Immigration management shortcoming.  It can be difficult to find.  When found, it can be incomplete or awkwardly expressed in English let alone in other languages.  Those accessing Immigration obviously are rarely Thai speakers.  A somewhat esoteric example is specific instructions for dependent spouses riding on retirement extensions of their spouses.  I can’t recall any instructions other than showing up at the office some years ago.  Originally, I had to investigate how that worked after noting the police order/law some years back, then one run through the process — until this year with the change of the priority system (a nice  benefit for the aged and infirm, such as I)!

The undated photocopied “retirement visa” instructional hand-out at the queue desk is up to date for normal retirement extension cases, but it should be more readily accessible on-line.    And it certainly doesn’t cover the new policy regarding dependents.

Anyway,  be observant, sniff around, and keep your cool!

• Like 2

See comment on Thailand's post above!  Well, Philomina Cunk,  would Churchill tweet the same about the status of UK Immigration processing and policy today ?!   Processing?  Been there.  Done that. Have the tee shirt. Not at all simple for many foreigners.  Today, a Thai Chiang Mai immigration officer made this point to me. Never mind immigration policy.  My experience with Thai bureaucracy (all countries have problems) is not always smooth, but Thai policy is remarkably inclusive and inexpensive.

Edited by Mapguy

Unfortunately the lady, and I guess the others, did not get their passports so now in to day 3. So these people have no id,cannot travel etc, not good!

These all appear to be changes of visa cases on floor 2.

Useful info Mapguy.My first experience in the Priority Lane last January was totally different as none of the interns had a clue where I should go.I eventually finished up on the 2nd floor ,in the TM 30 room,with a young lady ,not in uniform , who seemed cheesed off that she was landed with me to process. I was kept waiting for about 2 hrs and my wife was told to take  a trip downstairs after an hour  to photo copy every page in my passport...why ? we didnt ask.

Never asked for in previous 10 extensions.Goal posts keep moving,go with the flow

Of course all will probably change with the move back to the Airport so if people can keep updating it will be of great benefit especially round that time,can only be a matter of weeks now.

2 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Useful info Mapguy.My first experience in the Priority Lane last January was totally different as none of the interns had a clue where I should go.I eventually finished up on the 2nd floor ,in the TM 30 room,with a young lady ,not in uniform , who seemed cheesed off that she was landed with me to process. I was kept waiting for about 2 hrs and my wife was told to take  a trip downstairs after an hour  to photo copy every page in my passport...why ? we didnt ask.

Never asked for in previous 10 extensions.Goal posts keep moving,go with the flow

Of course all will probably change with the move back to the Airport so if people can keep updating it will be of great benefit especially round that time,can only be a matter of weeks now.

Told 3 months or more by the officers in building 3 last week.

On June 20, 2561 BE at 2:43 PM, Thailand said:

Don't know if it is a bit of muscle flexing again but our friend who took in her passport yesterday morning to have the final part of a visa change completed, the stamp and boss's signature, was asked to return at 2pm to collect the passport,then was told 3pm, then was told told 4pm and then was told leave your phone number we will call you tomorrow when your passport has been signed off.

No call , so called in to immigration again this afternoon, was told to leave phone number again with a maybe we will call you today or tomorrow to collect your passport. The officer then pointed to a stack of passports that were waiting to be signed off. 

So assuming that it will be signed off sometime tomorrow the lady will have had  3 days of stress wondering if her visa has actually been approved as her original visa expires today!

And still no call and no passport and our friend,and I guess the holders of the other passports that are still  in the outbox in the second floor office, is confused, concerned and worried. 

An unacceptable situation but what can they do?

4 minutes ago, Thailand said:

And still no call and no passport and our friend,and I guess the holders of the other passports that are still  in the outbox in the second floor office, is confused, concerned and worried. 

An unacceptable situation but what can they do?

For starters, they should notify their Embassy/Consulate.  As you pointed out, someone isn't suppose to be without their passport in Thailand.  They can't travel, take care of banking business, make a major purchase, rent a condo/house, etc, etc, etc right now.  They risk being stopped and detained by the police until it can be proved that Imm. is indeed holding their passport.  

Just to point out, this situation seems to be affecting just those doing visa conversions, right?  Your friend was trying to DIY visa conversion, right?  I wonder if paying the expensive agent fees for visa conversions are being subject to this same problem.

9 minutes ago, NancyL said:

For starters, they should notify their Embassy/Consulate.  As you pointed out, someone isn't suppose to be without their passport in Thailand.  They can't travel, take care of banking business, make a major purchase, rent a condo/house, etc, etc, etc right now.  They risk being stopped and detained by the police until it can be proved that Imm. is indeed holding their passport.  

Just to point out, this situation seems to be affecting just those doing visa conversions, right?  Your friend was trying to DIY visa conversion, right?  I wonder if paying the expensive agent fees for visa conversions are being subject to this same problem.

We have already told her to contact the Chinese consulate tomorrow but she does not want to rock boats, we do understand, but she and the others have to have their passports,tomorrow is 4 days- crazy!

I do know that all other various applications,extensions of stay etc,are being signed off

As for the conspiracy theory, nothing would surprise me nowadays.

24 minutes ago, NancyL said:

expensive agent fees

You may consider agent fees as expensive.  I do not. They are super cheap considering the speed and efficiency and peace of mind involved.  In the UK if you want your passport process expedited you pay extra.  I don't hear complaints about that!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

You may consider agent fees as expensive.  I do not. They are super cheap considering the speed and efficiency and peace of mind involved.  In the UK if you want your passport process expedited you pay extra.  I don't hear complaints about that!

I think 18,000 baht is expensive.that's what Tian are charging.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

We've been through this before -- the "expedited fees" the U.K. and others charge for passport services are clearly publicized and uniformly applied to all applicants.  That's very different from the racket going on in Chiang Mai with the agents.  Nowhere else in Thailand is it necessary to pay such high fees for "expedited" service.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Thailand said:

We have already told her to contact the Chinese consulate tomorrow but she does not want to rock boats, we do understand, but she and the others have to have their passports,tomorrow is 4 days- crazy!

I do know that all other various applications,extensions of stay etc,are being signed off

As for the conspiracy theory, nothing would surprise me nowadays.

Sorry...I want to be sure I understand.  This is for a change of visa, she’s been waiting 4 days after the date Imm said to come in to get passport stamped, and they have been holding her passport the whole time?

if so, I guess I have more angst to look forward to when I go in on July 3 for my 90 day non-O visa.  I thought it was supposed to be same day.?

Edited by Kohsamida

2 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Sorry...I want to be sure I understand.  This is for a change of visa, she’s been waiting 4 days after the date Imm said to come in to get passport stamped, and they have been holding her passport the whole time?

if so, I guess I have more angst to look forward to when I go in on July 3 for my 90 day non-O visa.  I thought it was supposed to be same day.?

Exactly the same as you are applying for but no idea why this is such a clusterf--ck.

It should be returned the same day duly signed by the "boss", this has not happened for our friend and I guess the others in the pile.

Our friend has since  gone back to ask but the officers simply said our boss has been advised, there is no point in returning again until we call you to collect your passport.

As of this post that call has not been received, day 4 today and now running in to the weekend, Monday will be day 7!

There has to be some limit to the amount of time immigration can hold a passport,especially under these circumstances? There are major implications in Thailand for not being in possession of it.

The only saving grace for us is that it is our friend who is caught up in this untenable situation and not us, although we do appear to suffering along with her!

3 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Exactly the same as you are applying for but no idea why this is such a clusterf--ck.

It should be returned the same day duly signed by the "boss", this has not happened for our friend and I guess the others in the pile.

Our friend has since  gone back to ask but the officers simply said our boss has been advised, there is no point in returning again until we call you to collect your passport.

As of this post that call has not been received, day 4 today and now running in to the weekend, Monday will be day 7!

There has to be some limit to the amount of time immigration can hold a passport,especially under these circumstances? There are major implications in Thailand for not being in possession of it.

The only saving grace for us is that it is our friend who is caught up in this untenable situation and not us, although we do appear to suffering along with her!

Thai bureaucracy can be SO unacceptable!  There is really no excuse for the situation you describe.  I mean, to hold someone's passport like that technically means they can't even go out in public without breaking Thai law!  I'm really having seconds thoughts about whether I want to pursue a retirement visa here in Chiang Mai or not.  When it comes to anything bureaucratic here, it just seems everything is FUBAR!

sorry if this has already been asked, but how many times consecutively can you extend 30 day visa at immigration? i’m on my 4th one today. 

i leave the country get 30 more days then extend another 30 then leave again, would’ve been here 8 months after this stamp finishes. will they start getting funny soon if i don’t have a proper visa?