Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

1 hour ago, Kohsamida said:

This is another question I have, kind of related to the previous one.  My lease expires in Chiang Mai on August 15.  My 90 Day Non-O expires on Sep 30.  I was thinking of putting my things in storage in Chiang Mai for the period Aug 15 - Oct 30, and living in Jomtien where I would be leasing a friend's condo, and then returning to Chiang Mai to stay, beginning November 1st.

If I were to do this, would I have any problem applying for my 1 Year extension in Jomtien?.  I asked this before and Ubon Joe said it shouldn't be a problem to get an extension in one province with the intent of moving to another province at a later time, but my question now is whether the short term lease in Jomtien might cause an issue with getting the extension approved there?

Anybody with informed thoughts on this?  Would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks in advance

You can apply for your 12-month extension up to 45 days in advance of expiration of your O-visa, so your lease will expire before the date you apply (or right on the date).  This could be a problem if you apply for an extension in Chiang Mai with an expired lease, esp. since it's your first extension and they could be looking at everything with a magnifying glass.  If you have a new lease in place by the end of August, in Chiang Mai, then apply here.

If you won't have a new lease that's active in Chiang Mai until November 1st, then you should consider applying in Jomtien since you'll be there during the interim period.  I'd suggest you ask your question about whether the Jomtien office will give you difficulties because you are newly arrived in the province and don't have a long term lease in the general Visa forum, rather than the Chiang Mai forum.  I expect it won't be a problem, based on what I've read about the Jomtien office on that forum.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, NancyL said:

You can apply for your 12-month extension up to 45 days in advance of expiration of your O-visa, so your lease will expire before the date you apply (or right on the date).  This could be a problem if you apply for an extension in Chiang Mai with an expired lease, esp. since it's your first extension and they could be looking at everything with a magnifying glass.  If you have a new lease in place by the end of August, in Chiang Mai, then apply here.

If you won't have a new lease that's active in Chiang Mai until November 1st, then you should consider applying in Jomtien since you'll be there during the interim period.  I'd suggest you ask your question about whether the Jomtien office will give you difficulties because you are newly arrived in the province and don't have a long term lease in the general Visa forum, rather than the Chiang Mai forum.  I expect it won't be a problem, based on what I've read about the Jomtien office on that forum.

Thanks Nancy; I'm hoping Ubon Joe will comment since he seems to know something about all Imm offices, but your idea is a good one so I'll try that.

23 minutes ago, NancyL said:

You can apply for your 12-month extension up to 45 days in advance of expiration of your O-visa

I think you will find that the 45 day "non rule" only applies to CM because they know they are under pressure (I of course will not say why I believe that) and the rest of the country is 30 days.  

Which IM Office is K wanting to use to settle down with?

I suggest K talks to the relevant IM office where he/she wants to stay for the majority of his/her time and talk to them rather than jump around the forums. 

Is CM or Jomtien to be your MAIN residence? 

43 minutes ago, NancyL said:

I'd suggest you ask your question about whether the Jomtien office will give you difficulties because you are newly arrived in the province and don't have a long term lease in the general Visa forum

Newly arrived in the Province!!?

Given all your communications between each other have you not noticed "K" 's "Profile Location".  It says Ching Mai/Jomtien.

He/she is not new to either province!

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Newly arrived in the Province!!?

Given all your communications between each other have you not noticed "K" 's "Profile Location".  It says Ching Mai/Jomtien.

He/she is not new to either province!

Apparently you didn't read his post very carefully.  He will have arrived into Jomtien on August 15 with a newly minted O visa, obtained in Chiang Mai.  I agree, he's not new to Thailand, but it's the first time he's done a one-year extension to an O-visa, so from the perspective of Jomtien Imm., he's new to them.

57 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Apparently you didn't read his post very carefully.  He will have arrived into Jomtien on August 15 with a newly minted O visa, obtained in Chiang Mai.  I agree, he's not new to Thailand, but it's the first time he's done a one-year extension to an O-visa, so from the perspective of Jomtien Imm., he's new to them.

Yes, and my real question applies to both CM and Jomtien really, but especially Jomtien since that's where I'll be when the time to apply for the extension arrives, even though I'll be returning to CM in November. 

The question is simply whether a short term lease (i.e.: two months) might be an issue with extension approval, or whether IMM will simply expect me to update my TM-30, or perhaps visit IMM with the new lease contract in November when I return to CM.

Just hoping somebody on the forum might have run into this situation with short term leases and can advise rather than being in Jomtien and then finding out I'm going to have an issue.

Again, thanks for your input.  Always appreciated.

1 hour ago, Kohsamida said:

Yes, and my real question applies to both CM and Jomtien really, but especially Jomtien since that's where I'll be when the time to apply for the extension arrives, even though I'll be returning to CM in November. 

The question is simply whether a short term lease (i.e.: two months) might be an issue with extension approval, or whether IMM will simply expect me to update my TM-30, or perhaps visit IMM with the new lease contract in November when I return to CM.

Just hoping somebody on the forum might have run into this situation with short term leases and can advise rather than being in Jomtien and then finding out I'm going to have an issue.

Again, thanks for your input NancyL.  Always appreciated.

I knew Ubon Joe would have a helpful and concise answer! ?  Here's his reply to my question from another thread, in case anyone else wants to know the answer, since it's probably applicable to Promenada as well:

"Proof of residence is only to prove your address on the date you apply for an extension. There is no requirement for you to have a long term lease when you apply.

There have been reports that some immigration officers that say otherwise. Jomtien has no such policy and I don't recall any reports of anybody being asked for one."

I go every year and now I am so old and sick. Wife has it down paperwise but how can I make it faster. Oh in Bangkok line is terrible. I get my income paper fast but the rest is killing me. Help if you can? 

2 hours ago, rascalman said:

I go every year and now I am so old and sick. Wife has it down paperwise but how can I make it faster. Oh in Bangkok line is terrible. I get my income paper fast but the rest is killing me. Help if you can? 

Sounds like you have a good wife.

If you live in Chiang Mai, your wife can request that you use the "Priority Lane".  No need for special proof if over age 75.  If under age 75, you may have to show you are handicapped -- like come in a wheelchair or use a walker, or have a note from your doctor.  She can come to Immigration the day before to fill out a special request form and they can tell her what time to return the next day with you.

Thanks I am handicapped live in Bangkok. How do you get a line sitter? How does that work? 

1 hour ago, rascalman said:

Thanks I am handicapped live in Bangkok. How do you get a line sitter? How does that work? 

You should post this question in the general Visa forum, not the one specific to Chiang Mai.

Queue line times for One Year Extension (Retirement) improving lately at Promenada?  I just heard a unsubstantiated rumor that queue line times are improving at Promenada as in, showing up at 8:30 gets you a ticket and you can be done by noon (perhaps splitting up students and retirees??).

Wonder if anyone has been through the process in the last few weeks who can say if things are getting better?  I'm not sure if this was for a first-time extension or to renew an extension (or if there is even a difference, in terms of queue lines lengths).  Anyone?

2 hours ago, cusanus said:

A lull in the storm... any word on when the airport new building will open? That means no more Promenada I guess. 

What lull in a storm?

It has been foul weather at CM IMM for over 20 years.  A new building will solve nothing until;

1.  Consistent rules applied by ALL Imm  officials in all Imm offices Thailand wide.

2.  More Imm officers/staff not just new and bigger offices.

3. More efficient and computerised/online systems.

4. Less hindrance to the officials by "do gooders" who do more harm than good.

There is some truth to the "rumor".  A friend went last week just before lunchtime just to get forms, photos, copies and see if anything has changed since last year for a retirement extension.  He was told that queue tickets were still available for the day, but he probably wouldn't be seen until the end of the day.

They're still doing a "uni-queue" for student, retirees, medical (never a big number of applicants and they'll let them use the Priority Lane anyway) and one other group, I think.  Anyway, after lunch he watched as a big parade of students from Hand-to-Hand combat school were served and then they called four numbers with no response.  Apparently, someone from H-t-H came in the morning and claimed more queue tickets than they needed for that day's batch of students.

My friend was seen around 3-ish and out of there by 4 pm.  Too late to get a re-entry permit, but that's for another day or maybe at the airport.

Will all the passive aggressives who manage to create so much garbage on this otherwise useful thread please stop posting these tit-for-tat exchanges above --- and that includes posting meaningless initial queries, toss-off  rumors and pointless speculation!  Enough already!

24 minutes ago, NancyL said:

There is some truth to the "rumor".  A friend went last week just before lunchtime just to get forms, photos, copies and see if anything has changed since last year for a retirement extension.  He was told that queue tickets were still available for the day, but he probably wouldn't be seen until the end of the day.

They're still doing a "uni-queue" for student, retirees, medical (never a big number of applicants and they'll let them use the Priority Lane anyway) and one other group, I think.  Anyway, after lunch he watched as a big parade of students from Hand-to-Hand combat school were served and then they called four numbers with no response.  Apparently, someone from H-t-H came in the morning and claimed more queue tickets than they needed for that day's batch of students.

My friend was seen around 3-ish and out of there by 4 pm.  Too late to get a re-entry permit, but that's for another day or maybe at the airport.

Thank you for your helpful answer.  Most appreciated. 

Please note many off topic posts and replies were removed.

As a topic about immigration it is supposed to be mostly factual and informative, so members can easily scan for information.

Thank you for your cooperation. :smile:

18 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

Will all the passive aggressives who manage to create so much garbage on this otherwise useful thread please stop posting these tit-for-tat exchanges above --- and that includes posting meaningless initial queries, toss-off  rumors and pointless speculation!  Enough already!

Sorry to everyone if it appeared I was trying to spread a rumor; it wasn't my intention.  I was only trying to confirm whether things had gotten better with the lines at Promenada or not.  Probably should have worded it better.  My apologies.

On 7/22/2018 at 5:24 PM, scottiejohn said:

What lull in a storm?

It has been foul weather at CM IMM for over 20 years.  A new building will solve nothing until;

1.  Consistent rules applied by ALL Imm  officials in all Imm offices Thailand wide.

My bad.

On 7/22/2018 at 5:24 PM, scottiejohn said:

What lull in a storm?

I agree with your post, esp. points #1-3, up until you listed point #4.  How to implement #1-3?  Send brainwaves?  Pray?  Continue to use visa agents and hope they lobby for points #1-3 ?  Hmm, how to do, how to do?

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

I agree with your post, esp. points #1-3, up until you listed point #4.  How to implement #1-3?  Send brainwaves?  Pray?  Continue to use visa agents and hope they lobby for points #1-3 ?  Hmm, how to do, how to do?

yes, nancy...how to do ?   we are all waiting for your solution.   Note:  telling us what doesn't work does not answer that question.

18 hours ago, rumak said:

yes, nancy...how to do ?   we are all waiting for your solution.   Note:  telling us what doesn't work does not answer that question.

I was responding to the post of scottiejohn, who seems to think that those of us who have actively done something to improve conditions @Prom are "do-gooders" who have made conditions worse.  It's worth noting that conditions improved in the 12 - 18 months until the new head of CM Imm. arrived around the time of Songkran.  

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

I was responding to the post of scottiejohn, who seems to think that those of us who have actively done something to improve conditions @Prom are "do-gooders" who have made conditions worse.  It's worth noting that conditions improved in the 12 - 18 months until the new head of CM Imm. arrived around the time of Songkran.  

I'm sure CM Imm is like any other organization.  If enough of their "customers" are unhappy about something, they respond by trying to fix the problem.  "The squeaky wheel gets the grease".  And since you say things appear to be improving with the queue lines, perhaps that's testament to CM Imm responding in a positive way to some of the problems we discuss on this thread.  Maybe the new CM Imm director is finally getting up to speed in his new job.  Nothing wrong with voicing dissent if it's done in a constructive and civil way.

10 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

I'm sure CM Imm is like any other organization.  If enough of their "customers" are unhappy about something, they respond by trying to fix the problem.  "The squeaky wheel gets greased".  And since you say things appear to be improving with the queue lines, perhaps that's testament to CM responding in a positive way to some of the problems we discuss on this thread.  Maybe the new CM Imm director is finally getting up to speed in his new job.  Nothing wrong with voicing dissent if it's done in a constructive and civil way.

Or Maybe Bangkok Immigration are hearing that this Director has gone about things the wrong way

I am not sure if the officers in charge, have any Experience at handling so many people

It is no good trying to re invent the wheel

Which has worked for the last Director

I like your attitude, Kohsamida but I think the lines are improved because it's low season.

Demand for Imm's service is not elastic, that is it's not subject to our satisfaction. We have no choice but to do business with them.

The 90 day online function has been fixed and works very well, though. So maybe some improvements are happening. And maybe some are due to NancyL's efforts - much to the irritation of some misogynist old grouches.  

I was there today for 90 Day report.  Did not notice anything different.  Total time 90 minutes.  Business as usual.  Just some new faces.  The lady who did 90 days reports in the past was doing something else and a male officer was now doing the 90 day reports.  

13 minutes ago, stament said:

What's the average time for TM30 reporting? 

If you're talking about updating (after you've returned from out of country), I've done that only once at Promenada (upstairs) and that took about an hour (most of it waiting my turn).  I've updated many times at Building #3 at the old site and that's never taken longer than 10 minutes (typically about 5 minutes). 

Archived