Koh Samui: Two dead, five injured on Chaweng Beach

webfact

Two dead five injured high waves Chaweng

KOH SAMUI: -- Two Chinese tourists have died and two more have been injured in an incident on Chaweng Beach.

The Samui Times have received information that they ignored red flag warnings.

They survivors were rescued by jet ski. Police have been seen on the beach warning people not to swim in red flag areas. More information coming on this story as we get it.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-12-30

The TV news report showed police actively discouraging people from getting into the water, with full flags, heavy waves, idiots in the water in the background. It also showed warning signs in the foreground therefore the authorities on this occasion cannot really be blamed.

HTH

Related link:

Reminder re seasonal rip currents (01 Nov-31 Mar per annum)

While tragic accidents can happen anywhere and yes undercurrents and rips can catch you unaware, everyone can see when a swell has picked up and there are heavy waves pounding a shore line.

Why they continue to swim in these conditions is beyond me, being stupid is no reason to lose your life but they did make a choice!!!

....one can only do so much.....if they can't understand at least a bit of some international (English) language when they travel or carry an Electronic interpreter even if it's a Chinese made copy ( carried an Electronic interpreter for years. Had seven languages on it) What else can you do. I used mine all through Asia and it was fantastic in all situations....even at the Bar! If I went to China you bet your ass I have one too....hey come to think of it.....most phone apps have them today. So you see a Red Flag on a Beach.....Hmmmm.....wonder what that means.....well I'll use my phone app that'll translate it and find out. I'm happy they did not take some rescue worker with them to Davey Jones Locker just because of their stubbornness....

YOu have to wonder what kind of person would swim beyond the red flags in high waves if they are not strong swimmers. What were they trying to prove? They paid with their lives.

Its quite often the undercurrent that catches people out

Seems a bit of an obvious comment but you are so right - and the red flags aren't put there for no reason. And it's not just Thailand where people pay with their lives for ignoring an internationally accepted warning sign. I was in Crete (Greek island) many years ago when two people lost their lives in similar circumstances. The hotel disco was closed that night as a mark of respect, but the barman got it right when he said " Why do people ignore the red flags? They must be stupid, but now they are dead stupid."

obviously the Chinese don't understand red flags it would be advisable to have someone on the beach to explain in detail just what a red flag means preferably someone who speaks the language.

Chaweng Beach is a pretty long beach, the vast majority of it is lined with hotels (a few bars occupy the other space), it would be near impossible to have someone cover the whole beach explaining what a red flag is for.

Many hotels do however do this, written on the information sheets that are in the vast majority of hotel rooms as well as the staff in the hotels.

The red flags sit on poles on the beach, and when the sea is churning like it does at this time of year, only a very small amount of common sense is needed to see it's not safe for swimming.

Many people from cold climate and inland areas are determined to swim in the warm tropical waters, no matter how dangerous it looks and sadly no amount of warning is going to stop them.

While tragic accidents can happen anywhere and yes undercurrents and rips can catch you unaware, everyone can see when a swell has picked up and there are heavy waves pounding a shore line.

Why they continue to swim in these conditions is beyond me, being stupid is no reason to lose your life but they did make a choice!!!

Yup, "stupid is as stupid does" comes to mind.

Tourists sleep somewhere. Perhaps accommodation premises should be made to display (prominently) beach use warnings in the major languages, Spanish, English, Mandarin, plus Japanese and Korean. At least give the visitors a chance to stay alive in the water. coffee1.gif No more mai pen rai.

Darwin rules.(or is that Darwinian rules )

Wow, and I thought the Phuket Forum had some cold, old salty fools, but many of you are taking the cake here.

Most ignorant people on this thread are mainlanders.

Only one post by local Samuian

I am shocked at the way some forum topics go, seems to get very nasty very quickly. Some people are only looking for sound advice not a character assisination. But whatever makes you happy I suppose. Having a go when people have died is incredible especially at this time of year.

Happy New Year TVF

I am shocked at the way some forum topics go, seems to get very nasty very quickly. Some people are only looking for sound advice not a character assisination. But whatever makes you happy I suppose. Having a go when people have died is incredible especially at this time of year.

Happy New Year TVF

Its very common, its the usual for Thai related forums .

Retired ex pats tend to take much pleasure from others misfortune .

Darwin rules.(or is that Darwinian rules )

Wow, and I thought the Phuket Forum had some cold, old salty fools, but many of you are taking the cake here.

Most ignorant people on this thread are mainlanders.

Only one post by local Samuian

Mainlanders? Bit parochial?

How long must one reside on Samui to be regarded as a local...30 years, 40, 50 or be born there?

Or just retire from some cold European country and claim "ownership" simply by being there longer than the other self styled "expats"?

Sorry I couldn't let this one pass without comment...I can just imagine the poster saying in a Yorkshire accent..."eeee lad we don't wan your sort in these parts..away wi ye... ye not a local"

I remember many years ago hearing a Pommy site union shop steward in Western Australia lecturing people from the Eastern States in Australia about "he didn't wan't you people coming here taking our local lads jobs".

I remember many years ago hearing a Pommy site union shop steward in Western Australia lecturing people from the Eastern States in Australia about "he didn't wan't you people coming here taking our local lads jobs".

Well, thanks for sharing that memory .

I was in Koh Samui about 18 years ago and at the beach in Lamai it only takes about 5-10 meter before you're in deep water opposed to hundreds of meters at a place like Jomtien. At that time I hardly made it back to shore, you see some waves but not that high but than while you're swimming it all of a sudden gets worse. Frightning experience so I definitely learned my lesson. Back than there were no flags at all or I haven't noticed them but you can ugly mistake yourself on the sea.

I think also that people "remember" when they were good swimmers, but forget they are not currently strong swimmers. Like me, they may have been on swim teams back in their teens, or in high school or even college. But most people don't swim regularly and most of us are not in the same physical shape we were years ago. I am now pushing 59. While in the past I trained at the All American level, I know I am NOT currently a strong swimmer. I can't swim 20, 50 meter laps and be fresh and ready to go again. I can't swim the mile swim as I did when I was 17 and in the Boy Scouts Mile swim. I can't do a sprint, catch my breath for 30 seconds and go again. Just not in shape. I still remember my survival swimming skills and how and when to not fight currents, how to float, conserve energy etc, so I am pretty confident or at least hopeful I can survive in the open water for quite a while until help arrived. But I am not going to purposely go into dangerous conditions or try to swim across a bay!

Archived