Oishi first in Thailand to let customers pay for meals by installments

webfact

How the heck can they force pay by installments? Do they do a credit check on you?

Why would people pay back?

The devil will be in the details (as usual)

Most likely they will have to use the card from ktb and the debt will stay on their account etc)

They have already figured it out im sure...

Seems very cruel giving the poorest in society a chance to blow 1500thb on a meal and then sinking them in never ending interest rates when they can't pay up....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any time you have to pay for a meal in installments then you DO NOT BELONG THERE>

I pay for my shopping with my credit card. Does it mean that I don't belong in the supermarket?

Even with the barter system, someone might do some work for you one month and you might do some work for them months later. Does that mean that that the stored credit system should be abolished and that we should return the favour immediately?

So much nonsense being written on this thread by people who cannot see beyond their noses,

Would depend on whether you have the cash to pay off the total outstanding amount comes billing date, or if you would just pay the minimum sum and roll over the balance and suffer those high interest.

Credit cards are for the poor. Charge cards are for the rich.

Any time you have to pay for a meal in installments then you DO NOT BELONG THERE>

I pay for my shopping with my credit card. Does it mean that I don't belong in the supermarket?

Even with the barter system, someone might do some work for you one month and you might do some work for them months later. Does that mean that that the stored credit system should be abolished and that we should return the favour immediately?

So much nonsense being written on this thread by people who cannot see beyond their noses,

No the other posters get the trap and understand it for what it is.

Yes its like paying a credit card and yes there are a couple of free installments, what will happen is most parties say doing 5 or 6k on a group meal the instalments will probably go more than 3 commonly since most Thais live from paycheck to paycheck and certainly the lower income bracket.

Its the same trap as any credit, for the majority who will always go over the allocated free interest period and into penalty territory, for most who take this up it will no doubt end up being an added cost not a saving.

There is no such thing as a free lunch and most live way above their means only because credit lets them sanuk is basically right, if they have to use instalments then they cant really afford to eat there.

No...some people are just too thick to understand. There aren't "a couple of free installments", as you put it, the payment is simply split into three.

They just take one third each month. That's it.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Would depend on whether you have the cash to pay off the total outstanding amount comes billing date, or if you would just pay the minimum sum and roll over the balance and suffer those high interest.

What a load of claptrap. Your categorisations are childish and oversimplificated beyond belief.

Your assumption is that the only two choices are to pay the minimum sum or to meet the full bill. First of all that statement is complete nonsense in itself, since one can pay any amount up to the full bill.

Secondly, what are "those high interest"? Do you consider 1% to 2% per month high interest? On 1500...that would be 15 to 30 baht.

Apart from that, no one is writing of paying minimum sums, since exactly one third is taken each month. It is not a credit card. You would probably need to have some form of credit in the first place in order to show that you can pay the 500 baht per month.

Your proclamations are simply hysteria.

You must have paid for your house in cash. Simply ridiculous statements.

Some people have a fixed income and therefore a specific amount of disposable income. Should they wait until they have saved up the cash amount to purchase their dwelling or accept a mortgage of sorts?

Seriously, a storm in a teacup.

As for credit cards being for the poor...another moronic statement.

Credit cards in my country give layers of protection not offered by charge cards. Section 75 being one important protection. So it is much better for me to use my credit cards than to use cash or a charge card. In addition, keeping my cash in a high interest paying accounts, whilst utilising credit cards for spending means that I actually make more money by using credit cards.

Charge cards bring little in the way of discernible benefits other than having to pay to own one. I get all of the benefits of charge cards with my existing CCs, with the added benefit of it being free.I get the free insurance and purchase protection etc. I also get to use internationally without exchange rate surcharges, unlike most charge cards.

The one benefit a charge card may have is the absence of a credit limit. But I can safely say that I've not ever needed to spend more than the 2,500,000 baht limit on any one of my credit cards.

So please, less of the populist knee jerk responses. Consider before writing.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

I like almost each kitchen but Japanise, I visited many Japanise restoraunts but never was satisfied. I was many time in Germany, China, Korea... Thailand is my secomnd home, I like food all of them. no Japanese only.

If it allows a working class person to host a family or special occasion meal out and pay it off with no interest, then a decent promo, remember you need to spent 1500 on one meal so not likely for someone to run up a regular debt load.

I like your thinking. True enough I suppose!

If you think that these collaborations are something new:

Customers who pay for food and beverage with Krungsri Credit Card, Krungsri First Choice, Central Credit Card, Tesco Lotus Visa Card, AIA Visa Card, Home Pro Visa Card, and Simple Visa Card from 1 March - 30 April 2013 at more than 160 Oishi Group’s restaurants, Oishi Grand, Oishi Buffet, Oishi Ramen, Shabushi Buffet, Nikuya Japanese BBQ Buffet, Kakashi by Oishi and Kazokutei Japanese restaurant, will enjoy 15 per cent discount and coupons to win 10 lucky draw prizes to Hokkaido, Japan worth THB119,800 each and 400 prizes of Oishi vouchers worth THB500 each or approximately THB1.4 million in total.

What a load of claptrap. Your categorisations are childish and oversimplificated beyond belief.

Your assumption is that the only two choices are to pay the minimum sum or to meet the full bill. First of all that statement is complete nonsense in itself, since one can pay any amount up to the full bill.

Secondly, what are "those high interest"? Do you consider 1% to 2% per month high interest? On 1500...that would be 15 to 30 baht.

Apart from that, no one is writing of paying minimum sums, since exactly one third is taken each month. It is not a credit card. You would probably need to have some form of credit in the first place in order to show that you can pay the 500 baht per month.

Some people have a fixed income and therefore a specific amount of disposable income. Should they wait until they have saved up the cash amount to purchase their dwelling or accept a mortgage of sorts?

Credit cards in my country give layers of protection not offered by charge cards. Section 75 being one important protection. So it is much better for me to use my credit cards than to use cash or a charge card. In addition, keeping my cash in a high interest paying accounts, whilst utilising credit cards for spending means that I actually make more money by using credit cards.

Charge cards bring little in the way of discernible benefits other than having to pay to own one. I get all of the benefits of charge cards with my existing CCs, with the added benefit of it being free.I get the free insurance and purchase protection etc. I also get to use internationally without exchange rate surcharges, unlike most charge cards.

The one benefit a charge card may have is the absence of a credit limit. But I can safely say that I've not ever needed to spend more than the 2,500,000 baht limit on any one of my credit cards.

We know for a fact many in the West cannot survive without their credit cards. Why is that? The same reason for the long queues at Aeon branches on paydays in Thailand...

We know for a fact many in the West cannot survive without their credit cards. Why is that? The same reason for the long queues at Aeon branches on paydays in Thailand...

So what do you suggest? That all companies ban the use of credit cards at their facilities?

So what do you suggest? That all companies ban the use of credit cards at their facilities?

Tighten the rules on the issuance of credit cards by the card companies, lest these companies end up not much different from moneylenders like Shylock.

If there was ever evidence of a credit bubble this is it.

I wonder if this fad will ever catch on at Nana Plaza?

Already here...

I can't wait until the mobile EFTPOS terminals hit Thailand. Every girl at Nana or Pattaya WS will have one hanging from her shoulder. whistling.gif

Already here...

I can't wait until the mobile EFTPOS terminals hit Thailand. Every girl at Nana or Pattaya WS will have one hanging from her shoulder. whistling.gif

Already here......

Already here...

Already here......

I prefer the good old days hearing the clicks of that sliding machine over your cards...

Already here...

Already here......

I prefer the good old days hearing the clicks of that sliding machine over your cards...

Too cumbersome for the girls to fit in their handbags ??

I eat at this restaurant all the time in various locations as the food is fresh, and all you can eat in 1 hour , with drinks and ice cream and fruit salads is a good deal for around 280 baht each person, If you can not afford that amount at that time then go with out, the fishing line and hook comes to mind when i first read the story,

I wonder how many will regret or be able to get off the hook?

Which Oishi outlet do you visit? We often go to Shabu Shi (349 baht?) and Japanese Buffet (549 baht). If you have an Oishi Senior's Card you can get 30% of at the Japanese Buffet. I think the Senior's Card is all sold out now. There were only 10,000 available Country wide.

You can buy a membership card at shabu shi .

It's valid for 1 year gets you 10 % discount

Off total bill

What a shame! This is the country with abundant food available and offers to everyone for free. Sadly to borrow for your own luxury food. Rather people should try to learn how to cook simple food at home and share with family and live happily without depts.

1500 baht is around 5 days pay for Lo So Thai's. To offer this in credit for 1 meal is madness.

AND then comes the crunch :- Is Oishi going to bring in the heavies when they don't pay instalments 2 & 3.

It's hard to credit the stupidity that I see written here. It's not 1500 for one person, it's 1500 for one sitting. People rarely eat alone at Oishi, so a family of four is a possibility, Four people for a birthday treat or a celebration. 500 baht per month might make all the difference to someone on a tight budget.

Just a lot of insulting rubbish being posted here.

So why cynically entice them to go to Oishi? For Baht 500 a group of 4 could eat like kings at a local Noodle Shop or roadside restaurant.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

What a shame! This is the country with abundant food available and offers to everyone for free. Sadly to borrow for your own luxury food. Rather people should try to learn how to cook simple food at home and share with family and live happily without depts.

1500 baht is around 5 days pay for Lo So Thai's. To offer this in credit for 1 meal is madness.

AND then comes the crunch :- Is Oishi going to bring in the heavies when they don't pay instalments 2 & 3.

It's hard to credit the stupidity that I see written here. It's not 1500 for one person, it's 1500 for one sitting. People rarely eat alone at Oishi, so a family of four is a possibility, Four people for a birthday treat or a celebration. 500 baht per month might make all the difference to someone on a tight budget.

So why cynically entice them to go to Oishi? For Baht 500 a group of 4 could eat like kings at a local Noodle Shop or roadside restaurant.

Patrick

Because the standard of food is higher/different. Oishi Grand serve Haagen Daaz ice cream for instance. So a special treat for some every now and then.

Cynical only your cynical mind.

good grief Jiu Jitsu what an enormously long rant!

And why are you being so aggressive towards people who are merely questioning the social desirability of introducing ways in which Thai's can get themselves even further into debt?

can't you see that this kind of mindset which existed prior to the 1997 crash is going to end very badly ?

I think there is nothing bad about this deal, to be honest.

The only bad thing may be irresponsible people. That's another story. This is a zero percent loan.

I haven't paid for a plane ticket in the past 7 years. My credit cards allow me to do so.

Now, for someone disciplined who has another high interest loan, but likes going out to Oishi and would put this meal on a credit card has another choice.

I think there is nothing bad about this deal, to be honest.

The only bad thing may be irresponsible people. That's another story. This is a zero percent loan.

I haven't paid for a plane ticket in the past 7 years. My credit cards allow me to do so.

Now, for someone disciplined who has another high interest loan, but likes going out to Oishi and would put this meal on a credit card has another choice.

Oh come on are you serious? It’s not about whether it’s interest-free it’s about the Thais relying more and more on credit just to get by from day-to-day for something as basic as eating a meal. blink.png if they want the meal don't buy the new iPhone when the existing one probably works perfectly wellrolleyes.gif

this is a very dangerous recipe particularly if suddenly they are faced with austerity in the not-too-distant future when it's pretty evident from recent events that the credit based global financial bubble is about to implode.

The girl who takes care of rent collection in my apartment building has several times now come to me and asked me for a personal loan. These people are finding it incredibly tough to survive and gimmicks like this one does nothing to teach people you cannot always have everything you want at the same time.

Edited by Asiantravel

Patrick

Because the standard of food is higher/different. Oishi Grand serve Haagen Daaz ice cream for instance. So a special treat for some every now and then.

Cynical only your cynical mind.

At Bt800 per head, I can have 2 quarts of Haagen Dazzzz...

Bank: Sales have been pretty slow?

Food Chain: Yes, our regulars are being snatched by competition.

Bank: You know, you can catch those smaller fish who can't afford your meals. We let them pay by installments. If they can't, the debt can be rolled over and we earn more interests. It's a win-win for the both of us.

Food Chain: That's a great idea. Let's do it.