Household Transshipments And Customs Duty

wpbr

Hi Thaivisa!

Our family of three is coming to Chiang Mai on retirement & education visas June 25, and we're transhipping 15 cartons of normal household effects.

We've heard there may be prohibitive duty payable on music CD's, music cassettes, video cassettes and CD ROM's.

Since we've got a combined total of around 500 of these items, we ain't bringing them if there's any duty. Pop the music on mp3 cassettes and leave the rest behind if that's the case.

Has anyone had direct experience?

I understand from earlier posts that clothes, manchester, ornaments etc are no problem.

Thanks for any advice!

Great forum!

Hi Thaivisa!

Our family of three is coming to Chiang Mai on retirement & education visas June 25, and we're transhipping 15 cartons of normal household effects.

We've heard there may be prohibitive duty payable on music CD's, music cassettes, video cassettes and CD ROM's.

Since we've got a combined total of around 500 of these items, we ain't bringing them if there's any duty. Pop the music on mp3 cassettes and leave the rest behind if that's the case.

Has anyone had direct experience?

I understand from earlier posts that clothes, manchester, ornaments etc are no problem.

Thanks for any advice!

Great forum!

You can't bring anything without duties unless you have an O-A one year non-immigrant visa, or a one year extended non-immigrant visa. That one needs to be extended in Thailand at Immigration, and necessitates income / banking requirements.

Thank you Dr.

We should have our O-A or ED visas, from Brisbane, on arrival. Assuming all goes well. Daughter is enrolled at Prem (CM).

Pepe, we're going from outback Australia to Chiang Mai. Ten cartons, ten book boxes and a large but taken down bookcase were quoted as AUD2,000.

More is relatively cheaper. Significant costs are within Australia, so I doubt you can really use this as indicative. Same from Vancouver to Perth, Australia was CAD800 3 months ago.

Thank you Dr.

We should have our O-A or ED visas, from Brisbane, on arrival. Assuming all goes well. Daughter is enrolled at Prem (CM).

Pepe, we're going from outback Australia to Chiang Mai. Ten cartons, ten book boxes and a large but taken down bookcase were quoted as AUD2,000.

More is relatively cheaper. Significant costs are within Australia, so I doubt you can really use this as indicative. Same from Vancouver to Perth, Australia was CAD800 3 months ago.

You get about a bit wpbr. Vancouver to the Oz outback to Chiang Mai :o are you hiding from the mob ? :D

Dr, we love the world and its people. Were major travellers way back, but always ran out of money (or declared non grata - hair, packs etc) by SE Asia.

Can't wait to retire to Thailand and see the bit I missed!