90 Day Reporting gets Failing Grade in Chiang Mai

So I've been doing this a while now, and previous years reporting was pretty uneventful... the last few times, it has gotten downright aggravating.

Today I arrived a full hour before opening time (Promenada), and the queue already stood at over 150 with several hours wait time. I spoke with a couple of expats who said they arrived at 5:45AM and were still about 20th in line.

After more than an hour after opening the doors, I was told the queue for processing 90 day reporting was full for today, and to return tomorrow... I said huh, wt-hey?

Fortunately, I have two more days before I'm considered overstaying... guess I'll try again tomorrow!

I really don't mind showing my face every 90 days, if that's the law... but GEEZ, put in place sufficient processes and procedures to accommodate the demand.

One suggestion... I was just 3 days late to take advantage of the on-line process... put a "Drop Box" at immigration; for documents and return envelope, and then complete the process when immigration personnel have time.

Here's a pic of the sign they placed after the queue for today was full...

post-79637-14532757004471_thumb.jpg

I lived in Chiangmai until a few tears ago and 90 day took less than 5 minutes and a retirement visa about 20. The present crowd are not tourists so must be on long time visa extensions. So Chiangmai must be coming a very popular place for retirees. I guess a lot are relocating from Phuket and Pattaya?

Fortunately, I have two more days before I'm considered overstaying.

Being late for a 90 day report is not "overstaying." There is a fine if you're more than 7 days late, but "overstaying" means you're still in the country past your permission or extension date.

• Like 2

Right! A post on the real estate forum said that more and more foreigners are planning to retire in Chiang Mai and are looking for condos there so it seems that the situation is going to get.........WORSE!

20 minutes in/out 90-day report yesterday in Pattaya...maybe there's a message in there for you biggrin.png

Yes there is a message and yes we are. You know what I mean. When I read what the poster states I really feel we are being robbed of any dignity we have left at our advanced age. Anyone reporting 90 days in person needs to get a lesson in mailing it in. Even the mails are taking 2 weeks or more to get your slip returned its a nightmare that looks like it will never end and only get worse. When you have no vehicle and go by taxi its taxing to say the least especially paying back and forth back and forth and possibly going back the next day for your "signed" passport. Yes a box outside the door would be a smart move but nothing really makes any sense here anymore. Why not jack up the price of the annual visa extension to 2500 bahts or 3,000 and streamline the system to handle the excessive amount (and climbing) of people applying. We are seemingly being forced to use the "visa" agents with no alternatives. We are being herded into a huge funnel.

I'm really curious to know why one would think that a cost increase will "improve" service? This is a serious question and cynical as well, since I've never noticed such a connection in any country.rolleyes.gif

I find this interesting, I renewed my drivers license at Mae Tang last week where they will only accept 40 new applications for a license per day, the waiting list for a new license there is over six weeks! The office is very busy in the morning but very sleepy from noon 'till closing, I wonder if this, like the Immigration daily quota, is part of a bigger drive to limit work loads in government offices? Dunno, just a thought. More likely I would guess that this is part of a push by Immigration to get people to use agents more.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 2

Did my 90-day Phuket in less than 5 mins. This is the third one in a row with no problems at all. The key is to use Internet Explorer, read the and check off the first page, then enter the data using the popup calendars where they are available. Fill in only the red-star items.

• Like 1

i mailed it in 2 week ago because online didn't worked, not received anything back yet. now 3 day overdue so i guess i hop down to immigration today and pay the 300 bath for the agency.

Money making scam it is.

Or you can go to the old office at the airport to confirm that they received it by mail and it's in their system. Recent reports are that they are telling some people to do that if they mail in their reports but don't get their receipts returned.

• Like 1

well so far so good Khon Kaen office is on the ball, helpful efficient, unless its a monday ( busy day) 90 day reports and 1 yr are done in about 20 to 40 mins max unless big queuewai.gif

Yes. They get a lot of Laos citizens in there now which has slowed it down a bit.

Still pretty good though.

I'm slightly baffled how CM 90 day reporting has got so bad again. I'm due to go early next month, but three months ago it wasn't that bad.

I arrived at 10am and was seen directly after their lunch break. I also recently spoke to a British expat who went about three weeks ago, he got a ticket at 1pm and was out by 3pm. I can only presume that they must have horrendously busy days, and then much quieter ones. It stands to reason that the amount of people turning up for a 90 day report is going to vary from day to day. The problem comes from having the knock on effect when many people are turned away.

Anyway, thanks to the OP for the heads up. I might need to change my plans next month.

If we look at it from a positive point of view (I try to be more optimistic these days): something first has to get really bad before it gets better I think.

Maybe CM will be one of those offices that in a couple of months (years) will be the quickest and most efficient in the country.

• Like 1

So I've been doing this a while now, and previous years reporting was pretty uneventful... the last few times, it has gotten downright aggravating.

Today I arrived a full hour before opening time (Promenada), and the queue already stood at over 150 with several hours wait time. I spoke with a couple of expats who said they arrived at 5:45AM and were still about 20th in line.

After more than an hour after opening the doors, I was told the queue for processing 90 day reporting was full for today, and to return tomorrow... I said huh, wt-hey?

Fortunately, I have two more days before I'm considered overstaying... guess I'll try again tomorrow!

I really don't mind showing my face every 90 days, if that's the law... but GEEZ, put in place sufficient processes and procedures to accommodate the demand.

One suggestion... I was just 3 days late to take advantage of the on-line process... put a "Drop Box" at immigration; for documents and return envelope, and then complete the process when immigration personnel have time.

Here's a pic of the sign they placed after the queue for today was full...

ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1453275698.419227.jpg

If you can't take a joke, don't live in Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

Did my 90-day Phuket in less than 5 mins. This is the third one in a row with no problems at all. The key is to use Internet Explorer, read the and check off the first page, then enter the data using the popup calendars where they are available. Fill in only the red-star items.

Works good for many who are in the online 90 day address reporting system...to be in their online system your last entry must have been 2013 forward. I last entered 2008 so I still have to do personal visits or via mail. Guess I need to make a border run/visit the home country and reenter Thailand so I can get into their online 90 day address reporting system. Such a shame they couldn't setup the system to work for everyone...start off with a database that included everyone...but for most folks entering 2013 forward it's good.

• Like 1

i mailed it in 2 week ago because online didn't worked, not received anything back yet. now 3 day overdue so i guess i hop down to immigration today and pay the 300 bath for the agency.

Money making scam it is.

Or you can go to the old office at the airport to confirm that they received it by mail and it's in their system. Recent reports are that they are telling some people to do that if they mail in their reports but don't get their receipts returned.

Thank you Nancy, just come back and it was in their system.

Looking forward to next month when i need to go for my business visa extension.

The new office looks and feels cool with plenty of friendly looking staff everywhere and no long ques.

Cheers.

• The online system works well, did it for the first time 2 months ago and had the email confirmation back in about 5 mins. In Rayong there is never a long queue for the 90 day reporting but if you catch it wrong the visa renewal can be hours, it sounds like it takes the same amount of time to do 90 day reporting in CM as to get your visa renewal here. The biggest problem in Rayong is the location of the immigration office, it's right out in an industrial estate ( Map ta Phut), so it's expensive to do 90 day reporting for some people without transport or a long journey by songthaew.

Last time I went to Khon Kaen they had a dedicated officer and line just for the 90 day reporting and it was very quick. Is this still the case?

No more dedicated line for 90 day reporting, but I don't think there is such a long wait there anyway.

• Like 1

I went to our local office earlier this week - Pathumthani.

Usual 2 minute job. That included the officer reminding me my extension of stay needs renewing in March. He reminded me several times, stamped my 90 day slip with a reminder and told me to be sure not to forget. Seems the officers are trying to make sure people don't accidentally fall into overstay.