Concern about being bitten by our own dog.

giddyup

Had some guests over on Saturday and unfortunately there was some food scraps left in an uncovered bin, including cooked chicken bones, something we never feed our small dog. When the missus saw him chewing on a chicken leg bone she tried to take it away from him and he bit her, quite deeply. The dog has had all the usual vaccinations and according to the vet he's been vaccinated for rabies as well. The missus was given rabies shots about 12 months ago because she got bitten by a squirrel, but am concerned whether she should have them again for the dog bite. Unfortunately our little dog has a bit of some soi dog in him and is very protective of food.

The dog is yours so observation should be all that is required I believe from CDC website

Is the animal available for testing?
A healthy domestic dog, cat, or ferret that bites a person should be confined and observed for 10 days. Any illness in the animal during the confinement period or before release should be evaluated by a veterinarian and reported immediately to the local public health department.
If signs suggestive of rabies develop, postexposure prophylaxis should be initiated. The animal should be euthanized and its head removed and shipped, under refrigeration, for examination by a qualified laboratory.

Helped out at animal place in India years ago,rabies all over the bloody place,I'm sure I overdosed on rabies vacs,my lips turned blue at one stage,humans,dogs shivering away until death,used to pull them under a tree for shade,let them die there,the dogs I got shut of using ketamine for quick knockdown,then into vein with Nembutal

A vaccinated dog

A known cause for the bite (i.e. not unprovoked)

No need for concern IMO unless you have reason to doubt that he was really vaccinated against rabies

Well the vet says he has and it's on his vaccination certificate, so hopefully they actually gave him the shot.

Years ago I was bit by a dog in Koh Samui, went through the vaccine process and had to get the final one in Toronto, the doctor at the major centre in Toronto for that stuff told me that if the dog was still healthy after a week it didn't have rabies, if it got sick, then get the shots immediately. So I'm sure your wife is okay, if the dog gets sick, get the shots.

The dog had his rabies shot...should be no concern. Heck, just last month our Chilualua bit my finger when trying to force some medication/pills down his throat...hurt like heck...some blood. I'm still doing fine...he has his vaccinations once a year. When you own dogs, plant on getting bit every once in a while/every X years usually when trying to take some food away from them or maybe forcing medication is a good way to do it...but, hopefully it will always be a small bite.

I also had a series a rabies shots a few years ago after rescuing a drowning dog from a canal...he bit my hand just as I got him out and onto solid ground. And if I remember right, after the series of shots which I think was 5 (or 7) shots over a month, I remember the doc saying I could keep that vaccine active by getting a booster shot after 1 year which I didn't do. Since you said the wife got rabies shots/vacinne around a year ago, maybe just go get a booster shot to be 1000% sure.

Edited by Pib

A vaccinated dog

A known cause for the bite (i.e. not unprovoked)

No need for concern IMO unless you have reason to doubt that he was really vaccinated against rabies

Well the vet says he has and it's on his vaccination certificate, so hopefully they actually gave him the shot.

Raisin, the rabies vaccine used to inoculate dogs costs just pennies per dose. If your vet was going to rip you off, he would have done it with something more expensive.

The dog is yours so observation should be all that is required I believe from CDC website

Is the animal available for testing?
A healthy domestic dog, cat, or ferret that bites a person should be confined and observed for 10 days. Any illness in the animal during the confinement period or before release should be evaluated by a veterinarian and reported immediately to the local public health department.
If signs suggestive of rabies develop, postexposure prophylaxis should be initiated. The animal should be euthanized and its head removed and shipped, under refrigeration, for examination by a qualified laboratory.

Although if the wife shows any symptoms it will already be too late.

Used to feel so sorry for dogs in final stages of rabies,nothing or nobody should suffer like that Use the pole to catch them ,then into cage for transport back to base, then squeeze to side of cage , knock out drug was given ,when unconscious dragged out and PTS In early stages of rabies problems arose,dog highly agitated,biting anything,use to whack them with pole to keep them away from me,until calm enough to snare

Govt vets here were giving rabies vaccines for free recently,seems a total waste of time in a rabies free zone,only the owner pets getting it,street dogs not. Where rabies is detected blanket inoculations would occur

You should still have the wound looked at. I was bitten by a dog 2 weeks ago. The wound got very infected and I was put on antibiotics. Now it turns out the fang tore my fascia and tendon, so having surgery. My advice is to have it looked at and cleaned ASAP and have them put her on antibiotics just to be sure that it does not get infected.

There is no discussion here. To be a dog owner you first need to be deaf to their barking and neighbours' complaints; money for food/vet; care for the wider community; concern for other road users; and most importantly, intelligence. This latter is absent in most dog owners; why else would you spend money on a muck-making machine; a danger to you and your family; a health hazard; a traffic hazard and, if you are caring, a plastic bag to pick up its excrement?

Owners who have working dogs are excused the above comments; the rest have child substitutes.

There is no discussion here. To be a dog owner you first need to be deaf to their barking and neighbours' complaints; money for food/vet; care for the wider community; concern for other road users; and most importantly, intelligence. This latter is absent in most dog owners; why else would you spend money on a muck-making machine; a danger to you and your family; a health hazard; a traffic hazard and, if you are caring, a plastic bag to pick up its excrement?

Owners who have working dogs are excused the above comments; the rest have child substitutes.

Man and dog, a partnership that has existed for thousands of years. You obviously have no inkling of the pleasure a dog can bring. Hardly a child substitute if the dog owners have children as well.

Edited by giddyup

snapback.png

...it does not seem like you have trained your dog in any way.....

....and this adds to the discussion how?

I think it focuses on the conversations' cause, not the symptoms

Ever heard of the expression "shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted"?

The OP hasn't indicated the length of time the rabies shots are effective. Vaccinations don't necessarily last a lifetime, dog or human.

To be on the safe side, I'd have the wife vaccinated, irrespective of symptoms or lack thereof.

How would you react if someone came while you were eating your meal and took your plate away before you were finished?

Lean from the experience...do not leave scraps around that you do not want the dog to get into...

Don't punish the dog unless biting becomes a habit...

Never ever go near a dog when they are eating no matter how well trained and well behaved they are normally.

True for a dog other than your own but you should train your own dog to allow you to remove anything it has in its mouth. My dog will not eat when I feed it until I give it permission to do so. Same however is not true if somebody else feeds it but at least I can stop it from eating on command and remove whatever it has in its mouth.

I rate my success at training around 50-60%. I rate the dog at 100%. If I ever manage to train her not to accept food from anyone but me, then and only then, would I rate myself 100%.

The OP hasn't indicated the length of time the rabies shots are effective. Vaccinations don't necessarily last a lifetime, dog or human.

To be on the safe side, I'd have the wife vaccinated, irrespective of symptoms or lack thereof.

Didn't know until I just looked it up.

Duration of immunity.

The duration of immunity afforded to humans by a two injection vaccination course was found to be between two to three years

Your dog and your family need some training. Go to You Tube and watch Cesar Milan's Dog Whisperer videos about how to understand dogs and people together. Excellent if you will take the time, PM me if you would like some help. I was a dog trainer in the US for a number of years. Or, you can go on and let your dog think he runs your household.

Your dog and your family need some training. Go to You Tube and watch Cesar Milan's Dog Whisperer videos about how to understand dogs and people together. Excellent if you will take the time, PM me if you would like some help. I was a dog trainer in the US for a number of years. Or, you can go on and let your dog think he runs your household.

He's very obedient with me, but unfortunately the missus treats him like a baby. He loves her, follows her everywhere, but she spoils him too much, and no matter how many videos she watches, she'll still do it her (the Thai) way.

Edited by giddyup

A friend was bitten by the neighborhood cat the other day, went to the doctor, and he's getting the series of rabies shots (not cheap either, 450 baht per shot). I'd recommend, as others have done, that she at least talk to her doctor about it. Better safe than sorry.

A friend was bitten by the neighborhood cat the other day, went to the doctor, and he's getting the series of rabies shots (not cheap either, 450 baht per shot). I'd recommend, as others have done, that she at least talk to her doctor about it. Better safe than sorry.

The dog has been vaccinated, the missus has been vaccinated, I think that's pretty safe, and her hand shows no signs of infection. I'm sure a doctor will recommend another course of injections for 2500 baht.