British grandfather fighting for his life after mysterious attack in Pattaya

webfact

One thing I don't understand is the £1400 medical insurance. Never heard of such a thing. My travel insurance covers me with at least £10,000,000 for medical emergencies. The UK has one of the best markets, if not the best market, for insurance. I have never seen a travel insurance policy that covers medical emergencies with as little as £1400.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a little confused with this story

was he assaulted (had an attack) or are they saying he had some sort of medical situation

He would have been better going to the airport and getting on a plane before going near any Thai hospital 13hrs he'd have been in London, now he is in the hands of ................the money drainers

Obviously you're very easily confused. Being unconscious how would he have got himself on a plane and if he wasn't unconscious which airline would have allowed him to travel with brain injuries?

Your comment about the motives of Thai hospitals is just banal, I've had my life saved here without being ripped off, what evidence do you personally have of what you're accusing them of?

First of all, lets hope he pulls through, whatever the cause.

Secondly I really do believe good comprehensive insurance for the duration of someones stay should be compulsory, it would protect everyone.

I'm not insinuating it in this case, but it begs belief when people sit at the bar all day and night, taking' new found friends' home most nights of the week yet dont have a few quid for medical insurance.

Thais should give up on tourism you cant beat down tourists on a daily basis .

I stand to be corrected, but I can't see anywhere in the article that said a Thai was responsible for the attack. Quite often farangs are attacked by other farangs in Thailand such as in the recent spainish body in the river case, the ex hells angels Pattaya case etc.etc.. Pattaya has a lot of dodgy farangs, we just don't know.

A 66 year old grandfather from the UK has a girlfriend in Pattaya does he? I feel sorry for his daughter back in England but not him. I bet his daughter and sister were concerned about -grand dad- travelling to Pattaya of all places. They never learn.

TV, never fails to amaze. So you have no compassion for a 66 year old, in a life threatening condition, with insufficient insurance because he traveled to Pattaya to see his GF. What a narrow minded seriously bigoted individual you are. Now go plant some rice and get back on that high horse that awaits.

Well said, he looks fit and well for 66, and probably enjoying life to the full, perhaps you need to get some sort of life jalanwotsit

was he assaulted (had an attack) or are they saying he had some sort of medical situation

He would have been better going to the airport and getting on a plane before going near any Thai hospital 13hrs he'd have been in London, now he is in the hands of ................the money drainers

No confusion as i read it. Clearly states he was 'set upon' which Is a nice way of saying he had the crap belted out of him and suffered brain damage. The other comment about him getting on a plane is totally ridiculous as he is in intensive care obviously.

The family does not know what happened and why, but he was "set upon".

I am not a native speaker and will never understand where to know from that there was an attack.

No one noticed, no police involved/report?

They think that maybe he could have been unconscious for two days before he was found by anyone.

Sureley he did not lie on the street but probably at his home/room.

No one thinks that it could be "simply" a medical/stroke like thing?

I am curious to read an update.

30000 Baht/day, so everyone knows where he is sucked off his money treated.

For that price you get a flight from UK to Thailand return.

Get your ... here as soon as possible is my message to the family.

The other comment about him getting on a plane is totally ridiculous as he is in intensive care obviously.

How does that fit with this?:

Mr Holmes returned to hospital on Friday and had surgery to relieve the pressure on his brain.

Mrs Hunt, 37, said: "We began to get really worried when we spoke to dad on the phone and couldn't get much sense out of him.
Edited by KhunBENQ

A 66 year old grandfather from the UK has a girlfriend in Pattaya does he? I feel sorry for his daughter back in England but not him. I bet his daughter and sister were concerned about -grand dad- travelling to Pattaya of all places. They never learn.

Who are you to judge ?

I am also a 66 year old grand dad.

Devorced since 16 years.

And... having a girlfriend in Thailand.

Can't see anything wrong with it.

Nothing wrong with that providing you know what you`re doing. Too many foreigners get themselves into situations that go beyond their control and end up in a load of bother.

A lot of old grand papas think that young Thai women see them in a different light to Farlang women and as soon as they set foot on Thai soil they revert back physically in their eyes to the days when they were in their 20s and 30s and just as desirable. Who are you trying to kid, yourself or us? When we get old the only consolation in our lives is our money and the only thing that makes us desirable to the fairer sex.

In my pre-retirement life I spent a lot of time traveling in South America and Africa. Everyone knows how dangerous they are (murder, mugging etc) so you go about your day very differently and restrict your movements to perceived safer zones and times. The problem I see here is that Thailand is seen as very safe for foreigners and because of this, they don't put in place the vigilance that is necessary to avoid: road accidents, muggings, falling out of tall buildings, random murder and beatings etc. I am sure that each country will write a story about a national that got into trouble or met their end in Thailand. However, there is never a comprehensive view or assessment of just how dangerous Thailand can be for visitors. Sure if this were available there might be a bit fewer tourists (Latin America and Africa still have plenty of tourism though) but at least those that come could be properly on their guard. In case you think this is a new behavior in Thailand, my wife grew up in a good size village in Singburi province in the 1970's where shooting, stabbings and murder were not one bit uncommon.

One thing I don't understand is the £1400 medical insurance. Never heard of such a thing. My travel insurance covers me with at least £10,000,000 for medical emergencies. The UK has one of the best markets, if not the best market, for insurance. I have never seen a travel insurance policy that covers medical emergencies with as little as £1400.

He is however 66 years old, retired and travelling to Thailand. Insurance may well be more difficult and more expensive to obtain than for say a 25 year old man or woman.

Is it just me or did anyone else have to look up the words "set on" ? First time I've heard of these words used in this context .... Maybe I have to upgrade my Pattaya friends or worse still go back to school. For those who may have not heard of this phrase before here is an example given from the merriam-webster : "without warning, bandits would set on unwary merchants as they traveled along the Silk Road".

Set upon--to attack someone or something violently; to place something on top of an item.

He is however 66 years old, retired and travelling to Thailand. Insurance may well be more difficult and more expensive to obtain than for say a 25 year old man or woman.

He may have some pre-condition we don't know about.

What's with all the concern about the hospital bills. Old man has enough

Money to vacation, see girlfriend in Thailand, He must have some money

In the bank and four grown working children, one s nurse to help with the

Medical bills. Brits are so use to Free Medical...no such thing, can't even

Afford to live in their own country because of high taxes for all this Free

Stuff. Medical care in Thailand is excellent at private hospitals and quite

Affordable.....what is saving your life worth?

TV, never fails to amaze. So you have no compassion for a 66 year old, in a life threatening condition, with insufficient insurance because he traveled to Pattaya to see his GF. What a narrow minded seriously bigoted individual you are. Now go plant some rice and get back on that high horse that awaits.

This guy has never written anything that I have seen, positive about Thais or Thailand, or those expats who come to Thailand to settle down. And I doubt very much that he lives in Thailand, or possibly ever been here. His monikur is definitely misleading as well. He just comes on to pester people.

It would appear that grandfather lives in Thailand and has a Thai accident insurance policy.

1400GBP = 70Kbht, normal sort of policy with Bangkok Insurance or K-Bank.

If you live here long term it's hard to get a 'holiday insurance'.

Wonder how old the gf was?

Wonder how many 66 year old British men have girlfriends in Pattaya?

The story is missing so many facts!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Who are you to judge ?

I am also a 66 year old grand dad.

Devorced since 16 years.

And... having a girlfriend in Thailand.

Can't see anything wrong with it.

Id say the description fits most single farang male visitors to Thailand!

.....Id recommend he transfers to the Govt. Hospital ASAP.

...........Hope the guy makes a full recovery soon.

Id say the description fits most single farang male visitors to Thailand!

.....Id recommend he transfers to the Govt. Hospital ASAP.

...........Hope the guy makes a full recovery soon.

You're way out of line.

We tv posters all came here for the beaches and temples, and accidentally encountered young half Chinese hi-so girls, from wealthy families, and with Chula degrees who fell in love with us. They only moved to Pattaya at our insistence, because we love those perfect golden beaches sooooooo much..

Rubbish. I have never heard a Brit say he came here to avoid taxes. Low income pensions there are plenty.

Is it just me or did anyone else have to look up the words "set on" ? First time I've heard of these words used in this context .... Maybe I have to upgrade my Pattaya friends or worse still go back to school. For those who may have not heard of this phrase before here is an example given from the merriam-webster : "without warning, bandits would set on unwary merchants as they traveled along the Silk Road".

No, it's a common phrase. Maybe it's more of a British phrase I suppose, but i've heard it used many many times, in print and conversation.

.. It says" set upon". A very polite "high English" description of being physically assaulted.

Obviously you're very easily confused. Being unconscious how would he have got himself on a plane and if he wasn't unconscious which airline would have allowed him to travel with brain injuries?

Your comment about the motives of Thai hospitals is just banal, I've had my life saved here without being ripped off, what evidence do you personally have of what you're accusing them of?

it seems (although not as clear as it could be) that this poor man was in hospital (after being assaulted) and released (given the all clear by the Thai experts) then his family had his scans reviewed from outside Thailand and advised him to go back to hospital, it has all gone downhill from there - maybe I am not reading it correctly and easily confused

Thank you,for,your rant about the UK, it added so much to this discussion.

No confusion as i read it. Clearly states he was 'set upon' which Is a nice way of saying he had the crap belted out of him and suffered brain damage. The other comment about him getting on a plane is totally ridiculous as he is in intensive care obviously.

yes it now seems he is in intensive care after being released from hospital - someone outside Thailand looking at his charts - telling him to go back to hospital - they then open up his head - he is now in intensive care running up a huge bill