Upcoming Mini-suv's ?

SoloFlyer

Guys and Gals,

Alot of what I'll be asking has been covered recently - and I will go back over it.

What I'm looking for is pointers to what is coming out in the near future. I'm interested in cars like:

Suziki Vitara - except only seems to come in auto

Ford Escape

Mazda 7??

Anything that might be competing with the fortuna (too big), or a replacement for the CRV.

I'm in an upcountry city, but will need a car to run outa town for work. Occasionaly inter-province. Like the idea of being slightly higher, but without the bulk of a full SUV. Am single, so don't need too much inside space.

Don't know enough about cars to go the second hand route.

Appreciate the help.

I think there are quite a few Kia Sportage models around. I have no idea how reliable they are or how common the diesel versions are but that is the size vehicle I am also interested in. The Vitara is about the right size but the prices are VERY high.

Guys and Gals,

Alot of what I'll be asking has been covered recently - and I will go back over it.

What I'm looking for is pointers to what is coming out in the near future. I'm interested in cars like:

Suziki Vitara - except only seems to come in auto

Ford Escape

Mazda 7??

Anything that might be competing with the fortuna (too big), or a replacement for the CRV.

I'm in an upcountry city, but will need a car to run outa town for work. Occasionaly inter-province. Like the idea of being slightly higher, but without the bulk of a full SUV. Am single, so don't need too much inside space.

Don't know enough about cars to go the second hand route.

Appreciate the help.

I found one Thai Kia forum. One Thai is VERY upset because his Kia has spent 2 1/2 months of the 6 months he has had it in the shop for a number of problems. There were NO good reports. I think I'll pass on the Kia.

Yeah, the vitara is overpriced, and doesnt come in manual from what I gather.

Not sure if Kia's are any good????????

That CRV looks terrible ... seems to be the current trendy shape though.

Damnit I was hoping to start looking at the Vitara, over priced (and even worse) Auto only??? :o My friends and I completly trashed one in iceland, we had that thing up to the headlights in water while we crossed rivers. We returned it in perfect shape too! I figured it was a great car to handle the CM floods.

What are he going prices on one?

About 1.1 mill: or .999 if you shop around for a promotion - but the place i asked only had limited colours at that.

CRV just released is probably a better bet; although around 1.6m. Pick up/fortuner is much cheaper, but you don't want something that big.

Kia is old model, so is Vitara; bad resale, bad servicing, not worth it IMHO.

Forrester could be exciting, but that is a bit more 2m baht.

Landrover and Ford Escape are both cheaper these days for reasons unknown to me - worth a look. Same company AFAIK with some common parts.

Any of the above will earn you prime 'Soccer mom' status, so are therefore well worth buying.

Kia doesn't sell it's Sportage anymore, only second hand.

All mini SUVs in Thailand are not meant for offroading, hence no need for manuals.

Escape and Mazda are going to be updated soon, all others like Freelander, Forrester, and Murano are multimillion baht imports taxed at the highest possible rates.

The most sensible choice for you is...... a pickup truck. They are great for driving out of town and occasional off-roading, and if anything goes wrong, you can fix them on every street corner, and they are all available with manula gears.

Very few people in Thailand know what Vitara is, let alone familiar with the new model. I have never seen it, for example.

The logical thing to do is to buy a pickup. Choice of models, diesel engine and very rugged, BUT, I still have a desire for something smaller. The Suzuki jeeps are the right size but the terrible ride and TOTAL lack of power from the 1.3 liter gasoline engine is almost reason enough to eliminate them. At one time I had one and really enjoyed it but travelling any distance very punishing. The Suzuki is probably the way I will go but I will keep a pickup for longer distances.

Ford Escape and Nissan X-trail project somewhat offroading image. Escape's update is in the works, less than a year away according to Bangkok Post. X-trail was only introduced about a year ago, even if the original model is six-seven years old.

Escape sounds like the best alternative to pickups, and it's quite popular. I'd be afraid to buy a car that is not popular with Thais - they usually have good reasons not to trust something, even if we don't really understand why it is so.

Ive got an Escape, an am another who thinks the Fortuner is too big, being a Bangers resident.

Without doubt, its the best car ive ever had, even if it is an auto. Its not the most exciting, but it does go well with the 3L V6. Ill be one of the first in the queue for a trade in when the new model comes out. I cant recommend it enough.

Sales people refuse to reveal when new models coming out.

Escape ... maybe next year...

Vitara ... dont know.

One sales person said it would be possible to order a manual ... but couldnt tell me if more expensive or not ... anyone had experience??

• 2 weeks later...

Mazda's new CX-7 has just been released in Australia at under 40,000 aus dollars = 1,150,000bt it will give the Crv a run for the money if they can come in around same price, it's has a nice shape and looks good inside. The new Crv from the front still looks very similar to the old model.

All mini SUVs in Thailand are not meant for offroading, hence no need for manuals.

That's a myth. Automatic is better for offroading than manual. I learned that in Toyota LandCruiser Club in Oz...1200 vehicles in the club...all with manuals regretted their ignorance but what could they do other than get next one automatic.

For serious waterfording (like water covering the hood and snorkle is used for air intake) automatic need an extra bit of protection so the water does not enter the oil in which the gearbox lives. Usually water deeper than 1.25m.

Mini SUVs like Suzuki Jimney or Suzuki Vitara are, due to their short wheel base and compact body almost as capable (or better) than full size Patrols and LandCruisers.

And minis go where the mother of all 4WDs - Hummer - would not even attempt to go.

That's a myth. Automatic is better for offroading than manual. I learned that in Toyota LandCruiser Club in Oz...1200 vehicles in the club...all with manuals regretted their ignorance but what could they do other than get next one automatic.

For serious waterfording (like water covering the hood and snorkle is used for air intake) automatic need an extra bit of protection so the water does not enter the oil in which the gearbox lives. Usually water deeper than 1.25m.

Mini SUVs like Suzuki Jimney or Suzuki Vitara are, due to their short wheel base and compact body almost as capable (or better) than full size Patrols and LandCruisers.

And minis go where the mother of all 4WDs - Hummer - would not even attempt to go.

I fully agree with that to a point. That point is IF they are equipped with low range transfer case. For example, I had a Jeep pickup truck with an automatic and a big V-8 engine. It was nearly useless. It couldn't even slip the tires when TRYING to pull a wagon full of grain out of the field even when in low gear and my foot to the floor. The old beat up Chevy Blazer that I had before the Jeep junk easily pulled full wagons. It had an automatic besides having smaller engine. Not only that, but the chain drive inside the transfer case in the Jeep stretched so much that it actually slipped cogs. That WAS an exciting sound. :o