Canadian Passport with less then 6 months

Everyone,

I have a Canadian Passport with less then 6 months. Expires Sept., 2016.

I have three questions:

1. Can you renew a Canadian Passport in Cambodia? It's my understanding that you have to go to the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok. I prefer not to go Thailand if possible. If you can what is the process?

2. Will the Airline let me on the plane with less then 6 months if I am going there to visit the Canadian Embassy to renew my Canadian Passport.

3. If I can not renew in Cambodia will Thai Immigration let me into the Kingdom of Thailand to go to the Canadian Embassy and renew my passport with less then 6 months on my passport.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Application for a Canadian passport is possible in Phom Penh. From the website of the Canadian embassy in Bangkok:

Consular Services in Cambodia

Office of the Embassy of Canada
c/o British Embassy
27-29 Street 75, Sangkat Srah Chak, Khan Daun Penh
Phnom Penh
12201 Cambodia
Telephone: +855 (0)23 430 811
Email: [email protected]

Hours of Operation

Walk-in and appointment service is available for general inquiries, notarial services, and assistance with passport and citizenship applications:

Tuesday to Thursday 13:00 to 15:00

In case of emergency, please contact the Office of the Embassy during normal business hours or the Emergency Operations Centre.

Statutory Holidays

New! Online Appointment Service

To better serve your needs, we are pleased to announce our new online appointment system for requesting notary services at a date and time convenient for you.

Avoid long and sometimes unexpected waiting times at our office and book your online appointment in advance!

Source: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thailand-thailande/consular_services_consulaires/consul_thailand-thailande.aspx?lang=eng#Cambodia

Don't know the answer to question number one for certain, but itis possible you could try the Australian Embassy, according to this page of the Canadian Government website. It says:

Canada’s relations with the Kingdom of Cambodia are managed by the Embassy of Canada in Bangkok. Consular services for Canadians in Cambodia are available through the Embassy of Australia, by virtue of the Canada-Australia Consular Services Sharing Agreement.

If you do need to come to Bangkok, there is clear information here about renewing your passport.

For questions two and three, the answer is yes.

If the answer to Q. 1 is no, then the answers to Q's. 2 and 3 are also no. Anyone can say anything to get on a plane or cross a border, and then do, or not do, anything once he has got off the plane or crossed the border.

If the answer to Q. 1 is no, then the answers to Q's. 2 and 3 are also no. Anyone can say anything to get on a plane or cross a border, and then do, or not do, anything once he has got off the plane or crossed the border.

Two and 3 are yes. A Canadian can enter Thailand with a passport valid for their allowed length of stay.

I appears one is also yes.

You can do it right here in Bangkok at the Embassy. No appointment necessary and they send it away and return for you. They are great to deal with as I did a few years ago

You may be "right here in Bangkok" but from what the OP wrote he is right there in Cambodia. Since he can apply for the passport in Cambodia, there is no need for him to travel to Bangkok to apply for it.

Thanks for all the responses. I have a email into the Consulate in Phnom Penh and the Embassy in Bangkok to find out more.

Will the Thia Embassy in Phnom Penh give me a Tourist Visa with less then 6 months on my Canadian Passport?

My other question is can you use two passports I am Canadian and American. Can I use my US Passport while my Canadian Passport is being process. Meaning could I send my US Passport to the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh and they give me a tourist visa I then fly into Thailand and hand over my Canadian Passport to be renewed while using my US Passports.

Can you switch between Passports? Is this going to set alarms off.

If not I will try to go to the Canadian Consulate tomorrow during walk in hours and find out more.

Thanks for all your help.

D

You can swap passports when traveling by air without a problem.

I don't think the Thai embassy will issue a tourist visa using your US passport since it will not have a entry stamp for Cambodia.

It might be best to use your Canadian passport when leaving Cambodia and then enter here using your US passport to get a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended at immigration for 30 days.