Uninsured foreigners burdens Thai public hospitals

webfact

It was never supposed to be available to other than migrant workers and most places have gotten the word on that. But TIT, there could be a hospital or two that still issues them. They will only do so to people resident in their catchment area though, that's how the "30 baht" system works. Which hospital is based on where you live.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tourisme brings al lot for the country. That they forget to tell.

Also forget that this a general problem around the world with hospitals.

Probably it compensates the thia expenses made abraod. Many Thai abroad create the same situation so probalby this compensates?

Not wise to go underinsured or uninsured.

Supposed to be included in the travel bookings.

For migrants many countries have special insurances for the waitng time to be accepted. why not for this too?

You do know thai visting other countries on holiday are required to have medical insurqnce before getting the visa, so Thailand doing this in Thailand no different to other contries

Easy - every inbound visitor must prove that he/she has valid medical insurance before being allowed entry.

And every Thai should produce Car or Motorcycle Insurance before they can drive ?????

PIGS FLY!!!!

What they do regarding car and motocycles is irrelevant, they dont need a visa for Thailand and are already in the country, so you comparision is no good

one day, if i have free time, i will open a new thread how i get cheated 100,000 baht how my insurance got cheated 100,000 baht by a thai hopsital

(on phetburi road soi 47) for a minor sickness... my story is truely amazing!

this is a country you cant even trust doctorsfacepalm.gif

Not this garbage again ...and how many TRILLIONS of Baht are generated from Tourism...All the gov has to do is take 0.01 percent from the hotel room tax that has been collected for years and it solved ..SIMPLE facepalm.gif ...Oh but i forgot thats not the real reason is it .. its about some muppet making billions from selling ALL tourists medical insurance on arrival bah.gif

True.

"The country providing the most tourists to Thailand was China, with around 8 million in 2015. Malaysia came in a distant second with more than 3 million, and Japan, third with 1.4 million."
How come no stats on Chinese, Malaysian or Japanese tourists? Maybe they have mandatory travel health insurance?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-tourism-idUSKBN0UK0IU20160106

Not this garbage again ...and how many TRILLIONS of Baht are generated from Tourism...All the gov has to do is take 0.01 percent from the hotel room tax that has been collected for years and it solved ..SIMPLE facepalm.gif ...Oh but i forgot thats not the real reason is it .. its about some muppet making billions from selling ALL tourists medical insurance on arrival bah.gif

True.

"The country providing the most tourists to Thailand was China, with around 8 million in 2015. Malaysia came in a distant second with more than 3 million, and Japan, third with 1.4 million."

How come no stats on Chinese, Malaysian or Japanese tourists? Maybe they have mandatory travel health insurance?

The chinese for the most part travel with tour groups and would think they will be insured under the tour group

True.

Doubt it as the Chinese apparently don't even have driving insurance so can't see them having travel insurance. And those figures are perhaps telling you the true story!! It's all about money and tourism...those countries with big numbers visiting are being given a easy ride as it's worth so much money ! Maybe !!

True.

Doubt it as the Chinese apparently don't even have driving insurance so can't see them having travel insurance. And those figures are perhaps telling you the true story!! It's all about money and tourism...those countries with big numbers visiting are being given a easy ride as it's worth so much money ! Maybe !!

What has vehicle insurance in their own country got to do with travel/medical insurwnce ?, for a fact for Chinese nationals travelling to Taiwan its mandatory to get a visa

Further there are 2 types of mandatory vehicle insurance in China

So before making proclaimations of fact, you should check your facts

Through my employment health cover offers global coverage. In many cases I have to pay up front and apply for reimbursement (In Thailand the only place I can apparent direct bill is one of the major private farnung fleecers in BKK).

Why should I be forced to buy dodgy "travel insurance". I doubt I could get it in my situation anyway.

Edited by arunsakda

But we already provide a guarantee of 800,000 baht a year, you want another 1 million on top of that?

The 800,000 can be removed from an account as soon as the extension has been approved. It "guarantees" nothing !

Yes it CAN be removed but it has to be replaced the following year when the visa extension is requested, effectively that 800k is locked otherwise the expat retiree doesn't get his visa extended and has to give up his home, his family and his life in Thailand go else where, that's "locked" by any other name. I agree however that the situations with Americans simply saying they have the 800k is one that needs to be addressed since the rest of us actually have to show the money in an account in Thailand.

You probably should get your facts straight before you tear into a tearful jealous rant about Americans. Americans most certainly do need to prove the money is in the bank if using the lump-sum 800,000 baht for three months method, same as everybody else. If using the income method, they have to swear before a consular employee, which if done falsely is a Federal offense, with rather serious consequences.

I'm not saying no one lies, but I'll wager they do in no greater proportion than non-Americans use a dodgy visa service, who loans them the 800,000 baht (and pays off an IO to look the other way).

Just because your little excrementitious island is blanketed with video cameras, doesn't mean your countrymen are honest, does it? It just means the government knows you're a pack of thieves...

The US, rightly or not, expects its citizens to do the right thing...

So tired of little pipsqueaks taking gratuitous shots at America. And that goes for you, too, Roblock...

Wow, when I wrote about the 800k I was actually referring to the income method but that's almost irrelevant at this stage, your response to an acknowledgement of an almost trivial point is so much over reaction/overkill that I'm almost scared to wonder how you might have responded had I really made a rant! Anger management issues doesn't begin to describe!!!

"Wow, when I wrote about the 800k I was actually referring to the income method but that's almost irrelevant at this stage, your response to an acknowledgement of an almost trivial point is so much over reaction/overkill that I'm almost scared to wonder how you might have responded had I really made a rant! Anger management issues doesn't begin to describe!!!"

Pity you did not know that the "income method" requires 65k month for extensions based on retirement or 40k/month if based on marriage so how you managed to believe 800,000 had anything to do with the "income method" boggles the mind !

The Thai Government introduced a Health Insurance scheme for Expats.

Admittedly, the Premiums were probably too low BUT it worked very well for 12 Months before the current Government Ditched the scheme,

leaving us high and dry.

Simple solution: All tourists required to have

health insurance that is valid in Thailand. If

not insured Thailand Government to provide

Insurance for a reasonable fee of $8 per

days of visit.

Uninsured drunks that have hospital bill will have

Passport stamped UNPAID HOSPITAL BILL and

not allowed to enter Kingdom again until the bill

is paid. Hospital to coordinate with immigration

And Foreign Embassy so debtor can not just get

A new passport to avoid the bill.

Retirees must pay hospital bill with in 90 days or

Make arrangements with the hospital to pay bill.

Unpaid or delinquent bills will be reason to be

Deported and not allowed to enter Kingdom.

Passport stamped "Deadbeat

owes Hospital bill" No entry to Kingdom.

The Thai Government introduced a Health Insurance scheme for Expats.

Admittedly, the Premiums were probably too low BUT it worked very well for 12 Months before the current Government Ditched the scheme,

leaving us high and dry.

No such scheme was introduced !

The scheme was intended for migrant workers from nearby countries only.

Unfortunately some cheap charlies found their way into the scheme but having since been identified are now refused renewal.

The scheme continues for those it was intended to benefit

20 million baht loss over 8 years? Are they having a laugh in complaining? That is complete peanuts. As many have said, the hospitals grossly overcharge and as such westerners cannot get medical insurance. Good idea in doing a runner from the scamming hospitals and not paying.

20 million baht loss over 8 years? Are they having a laugh in complaining? That is complete peanuts. As many have said, the hospitals grossly overcharge and as such westerners cannot get medical insurance. Good idea in doing a runner from the scamming hospitals and not paying.

Do you have evidence of Government hospitals "grossly overcharging " or are you just trying to steer away from the topic of foreigners failing to pay the very reasonable charges of the Government hospitals ?

or its hospitals that are really skint and pinching pennies

Edited by fey

I can't believe that health insurance in Scandinavian countries doesn't cover emergency medical coverage in Thailand. I have health insurance in the Netherlands that covers me worldwide. Not an extra, not travel insurance, standard coverage.

It probably covers it, but it does NOT direct pay the Thai hospitals. So the person would have to pay the hospital, then file a claim for reimbursement of expenses, Instead, the person just skips town and does not pay the Thai

What moron goes to Thailand without travel insurance?

I used to pay about US$60 for a single trip

I think they should be locked up after their treatment till the family or someone else pays.

Thats what would happen if they didnt pay their hotel bill, whats the difference?

Easy - every inbound visitor must prove that he/she has valid medical insurance before being allowed entry.

could just do what they do in Bali..no credit card to pay ...pain no go away.....wai2.gif

"Wow, when I wrote about the 800k I was actually referring to the income method but that's almost irrelevant at this stage, your response to an acknowledgement of an almost trivial point is so much over reaction/overkill that I'm almost scared to wonder how you might have responded had I really made a rant! Anger management issues doesn't begin to describe!!!"

Pity you did not know that the "income method" requires 65k month for extensions based on retirement or 40k/month if based on marriage so how you managed to believe 800,000 had anything to do with the "income method" boggles the mind !

Talking of mind boggling: 65K a month is 800k a year as close as damn it, the term is interchangeable in that respect, that's how! How much do you need each year to retire in Thailand, 800k a year or 65k a month, same thing.

Edited by chiang mai

I am sure the thais would love to have mandatory health insurance for all tourists/expats.

Imagine how much they the would be able to rip off.

The whole things is a farce.

Private hospitals in Thailand for the most part wont do anything that costs anything without some guarantee of funds and that means if you are dying they still wont treat you unless they areassured of the funds.

We have already seen the figures for the public hospital in Phuket for the last 8 years which came inat such a low figure I am not sure how they have the audacity to even complain about those bad old foreigners.

I am not sure why so many posters are buying into this at all.

It is just a blatant attempt to exthort more money from tourists and a potential gravy train for overcharging from the Thai medical system,

Edited by Tolley

When has it ever been OK not to pay your bills just becaiuse you think you are being charged too much. I am den sure my bank over charges for their services, the local auto mechanic, accountants, lawryers, don't get me started on income tax! Let's just admit that their are a boat load of ner-do-well foreigners in Thailand. And stop blaming Thai hospitals which are absurdly cheap compared to the same service in the home country.

No. It's about people taking responsibility for themselves. If they can't afford another $100, if that, for single trip travel insurance, they can't afford to travel !!

By taking a percentage of room tax, the responsible people are once again paying for the irresponsible morons who don't, or won't, take their own travel insurance.

I paid way too much tax throughout my life, and saw it squandered on social security benefits for lazy bast***s who wouldn't work in an iron lung!!

Now, you would have me subsidize deadbeats who want to sponge on the system??

Edited by F4UCorsair

I think they should be locked up after their treatment till the family or someone else pays.

Thats what would happen if they didnt pay their hotel bill, whats the difference?

While I agree with your sentiment re morons, may I suggest you need to update your estimates of cost.

In January/Feb this year I tripped to Thailand for six weeks and paid $750 (AUS) for my mid range travel insurance (a bit less than my return air ticket then but more than a low season ticket - therefore a significant expense for a pensioner).

And you'd better come up with some ideas about the cost of your suggested lock-up - is it discounted on account of being in a gaol, or fully funded, and by whom?

The area is a can of worms, but needing attention, sure. The Thai response will be interesting.

Indeed but soon wil be required to pay a levy, probably through taxes collected through air tickets, IN ADDITION to your $60 policy.

And perhaps in addition to my Thai annual medical insurance I spend substantially more than $60 on?

I am unsure form the article what proportion are short term visitors and how many are older, retired residents.

Some hospitals try to retain your passport until you pay up, understandable but not legal apparently.

I recall a few years ago, headed to Sangklaburi out of Kanchanaburi with a friend, on motorcycles, and my friend had a fall. We'd made a detour to see the Wampo Viaduct, and returning to the highway, he pulled a little close to the ribbon rail to allow a car to pass, and his left leg made contact, not high speed, but rubbed quite a bit of skin off.

We continued, but he was in a bit of distress, so we detoured to Thong Tha Phum and went to the hospital. He had three nurses working on him, cleaning up the wound, dressed it, gave him pain medication and antibiotics, and the total cost was less than A$5.00.

I've been to Bumrungrad, and was astounded at the low cost compared with back in Australia.

Anybody who complains of the cost of medical treatment must be nuts, or come from a country where the treatment is good, but the cost is even less, e.g., India.

Once again it's the bozos who think because they've graced Thailand with their presence for a brief holiday, or live in Pattaya or Phuket, on the smell of squid on a stick and an occasional chang, the authorities should throw open the hospital system for them at no cost.

Be serious folks. Take out travel insurance or personal medical insurance. If you can't afford it, you can't afford to be in Thailand, or travel.

Indeed but soon wil be required to pay a levy, probably through taxes collected through air tickets, IN ADDITION to your $60 policy.

And perhaps in addition to my Thai annual medical insurance I spend substantially more than $60 on?

I am unsure from the article what proportion are short term visitors and how many are older, retired residents.

Some hospitals try to retain your passport until you pay up, understandable but not legal apparently.

Are these hospitals making an overall loss due to these patients or perhaps those that do pay cover it with excessive charges.

Edited by jacko45k

Peanuts maybe, but a cost that shouldn't be imposed on the Thai health system.

Break it down into the number of people who haven't paid, and I bet each individual amount is close to peanuts for them as well......so they should be paying.

Anybody can secure travel insurance. It's just a matter of what level of cover you require, and if you're prepared to pay the asking price. If you're not, then don't travel, or if you do, don't expect the health system of another country to cover you.

Edited by F4UCorsair