Highways Police patrolman seen taking bribe from truck driver is facing probe

webfact

Patrolman seen taking bribe from truck driver is facing probe

179-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Highways Police Command has ordered the setting up of a panel to investigate the conduct of a patrolman who was seen in a video footage of taking bribe from a truck driver.

The video clip was posted in the social media and went viral prompting a stream of criticisms.

Pol Maj-Gen Somchai Kaosamran, commander of Highways Police Command, said Thursday he knew the identity of the patrolman in question but declined to name his name until the charge against the suspect can be verified. He expected the result of the probe within seven days.

The commander assured that both the suspect and the victim would be fairly treated and the culprit would be punished.

The incident took place on the Asian highway in Nakhon Sawan province.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/154528

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-11

A BIB being "probed", possibly even prosecuted for taking a bribe. Is this the start of reform of the RTP? The monkey will be happy, or not.

Doubtful! What is the point of having him probed when they have a vdo catching him taking the bribe red-handed? That's kind of like the leader robbing a jewelry store on vdo and they set up a probe investigate? He should have been dismissed from duties awaiting charges.

The culprit will be punished so just what does that mean given the track record of slaps on the wrist.

He should be dismissed, criminally charged and handed a very appropriate punishment to act as a deterrent but !

A BIB being "probed", possibly even prosecuted for taking a bribe. Is this the start of reform of the RTP? The monkey will be happy, or not.

Doubtful! What is the point of having him probed when they have a vdo catching him taking the bribe red-handed? That's kind of like the leader robbing a jewelry store on vdo and they set up a probe investigate? He should have been dismissed from duties awaiting charges.

Seems that a video is not adequate evidence in Thailand. I'm sure you have seen some of the videos from 2010 when certain people were encouraging other people to break the law. Nobody in jail yet.

One out of a million bribes transacted each year. Will not change anything.

Meh, kind of inevitable now in this day and age where everyone has a phone

Will be a slow process in Thailand, but I think, and it will be mainly thanks to Apple, Samsung and Sony, that traffic cop bribes will change over time

But, but but.........The Commander doesn't clarify who the offender is when he says "The victim and the suspect will be fairly treated..."

They'll probably prosecute the driver for offering a bribe and bringing the reputation of the RTP into disrepute, and promote the traffic cop for uncovering this corrupy and nefarious truck driver. blink.pngblink.pngcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Funny things happen in Thailand - the BIB can easily spin this out so the "victim" is the copper and the "suspect" is the truckie. thumbsup.gif

The horrors, the audacity, the flagrant flaunting of the rules, the dishonesty...

When I read this much of your post, I thought you were going to make a funny crack about the driver who covertly recorded the cop!

Kudos to him.

Hmmm... there would be a useful invention for Thailand... a dashcam that also has sideways pointing cameras that would cover the drivers window for moments like this.

But on second thought, maybe not. I'd be tempted to go speeding up and down the highways in attempt to film them all!

The horrors, the audacity, the flagrant flaunting of the rules, the dishonesty... hang on a minute... I forgot

that this is Thailand.... transfer to inactive post with full pay.....

This is a common patrolman, not a colonel or above. They don't have inactive posts for common patrolmen. He'll be transferred to another district.

I used to drive from Phanat Nikhom to Chantaburi to pick up produce to take and sell in the market at Sattahip. Especially during the turian season, there were about half a dozen regular road blocks along the route. Trucks, including pick-up trucks, were shunted into a queue, passenger cars were waved through. Standard toll was, IIRC, twenty baht, although I think there was one time I got hit for fifty. Sometimes the cops would wave me on, presumably because I was a farang. My wife said it was just the normal cost of doing business.

WOAHH!! a Thai patrolling police who takes bribes! GaaHH! I hope he will enjoy the probing.....

Is this where the Aliens take you up to their space ship and do all kinds of probing on you?

Edited by AlQaholic

He should be dismissed for being caught on camera!

The commander assured that both the suspect and the victim would be fairly treated and the culprit would be punished.

The actual people being punished are the fact-finding panel, who will have to watch the video clip over and over for seven days.

not far from our place here in Surat Thani on the main highway through town you can see all the overloaded trucks(a few extra metres sticking out the back and on top of them) lining up on a weekend afternoon to do their illegal drive south that night with their "police passes", this happens in many towns along the highways so one cop being pinched for taking a bribe is nothing when all these trucks are getting their police approvals to drive illegally loaded trucks on the highways every week. As long as there is money to be made corruptly this will continue, nothing new in Thailand