Nothing new here!

Badrabbit

@ KMartinHandyman

It's hardly a difficult "job" is it?

I don't know why so many expats here "get the missus to do it."

I will not get into the great divide of educational standards between Thailand and the west, but I am sure most expats have enough ability in maths to add up some prices on a menu.

You do not have to be able to read Thai, just know the price of each item you ordered.

Ask for the menu again, after the bill comes, if you think there is a discrepancy. You know what you had to eat and drink, just cross reference.

@ KMartinHandyman

I will not get into the great divide of educational standards between Thailand and the west, but I am sure most expats have enough ability in maths to add up some prices on a menu.

You do not have to be able to read Thai, just know the price of each item you ordered.

Ask for the menu again, after the bill comes, if you think there is a discrepancy. You know what you had to eat and drink, just cross reference.

You are so close to perfection, it is uncanny! thumbsup.gif

BTW, some good Thai restaurants do not have prices or use a small paper to check a list of food to order.

Wife looking at the bill has worked for 15 years and I trust her a lot more than a Thai language bill.coffee1.gif

Rule in Thailand is always have your girl check the bill. This stuff is not limited to Farangs. Why do you think even the local customers always check their bills so closely here? It happens to everybody....

Rule in Thailand is always have your girl check the bill."" - rubbish.

I don't need a Thai girl to check my own bill for me.

It's that attitude that has Thai's thinking all farang are as weak as p*ss.

Deal with the Thai's yourself. and pay your own bills.

Empower yourself.

I guess you couldnt figure out that I was trying to say everybody should check bills closely. Whether its you, your girl or your mother, check them. Nothing to do with screwing farangs over but, its everybody that gets pooped on doing business in Thailand.

Im empowered just fine.

And it really isn't bad here. I hardly ever have mistakes in bills, no more than 'back home' and far less than in other developing countries.

Phuket is one of the worst places in Thailand for "bill padding."

Most of the time, they are not "mistakes" - it is fraud, and a crime.

Your opinion, not a fact unless you can price it, with which I strongly disagree.

Your shady experiences are not everybody else's, certainty not mine.

Edited by stevenl

Rule in Thailand is always have your girl check the bill. This stuff is not limited to Farangs. Why do you think even the local customers always check their bills so closely here? It happens to everybody....

Empower yourself.

What difference does it make whether I check the bill, or my wife checks it? The bill gets checked.

I guess it might make a difference to knuckle-dragging neanderthals who think Thai wives are somehow incapable and inferior to their husbands.

@ KMartinHandyman

You are so close to perfection, it is uncanny! thumbsup.gif

BTW, some good Thai restaurants do not have prices or use a small paper to check a list of food to order.

Wife looking at the bill has worked for 15 years and I trust her a lot more than a Thai language bill.coffee1.gif

No, not "perfect" - just independent.

You should give it a try sometime. biggrin.png

Empower yourself.

What difference does it make whether I check the bill, or my wife checks it? The bill gets checked.

I guess it might make a difference to knuckle-dragging neanderthals who think Thai wives are somehow incapable and inferior to their husbands.

I never said "Thai wives are somehow incapable and inferior to their husbands" - more like western husbands become lazy and reliant on their Thai wives. :)

Empower yourself.

I guess you couldnt figure out that I was trying to say everybody should check bills closely. Whether its you, your girl or your mother, check them. Nothing to do with screwing farangs over but, its everybody that gets pooped on doing business in Thailand.

Im empowered just fine.

And it really isn't bad here. I hardly ever have mistakes in bills, no more than 'back home' and far less than in other developing countries.

Your opinion, not a fact unless you can price it, with which I strongly disagree.

Did you read the OP?

300 baht added to the bill.

It happens a lot on Phuket, and in my opinion, more often than not, it is an attempted fraud, rather than an honest mistake.

Did you read the OP?

300 baht added to the bill.

It happens a lot on Phuket, and in my opinion, more often than not, it is an attempted fraud, rather than an honest mistake.

Did you read my posts you're reacting to?

Another thread gone from bad to worse. However, I must admit I have had a few of those. Much more entertaining than the Root Canal thread.

Edit: Dumb for bad and dumber for worse. Sounds a bit nicer.

Edited by Shot

Maybe that's the difference between living in Patong and living somewhere else on the island?

Doesn't really matter where on the island the bill padding takes place, it's Phuket that gets the bad reputation.

Another reason why the only tourists coming here in numbers now are Chinese, with their "minders."

• 4 weeks later...

I've not een to Phuket for few years now but the last couple of times we found at least 1 bill during our stay was wrong.

My Mrs always calls for check bin and always checks it before I get chance. Its nothing to do with self empowerment its just that gets the bill a soon a it as arrives on the table. I understand exactly what K Martin is saying.

It does not make me some kind of wimp, it just proves that my wife and I have a good, healthy relationship /partnership. If I was on my own and overcharged I would raise it with the management myself and have on occasion in Bkk.

Either way in LOS we all know this kind of thing is rife. Unfortunately it gives a beautiful place a bad name.