Train bus crash kills two, injures over 30

rooster59

Train bus crash kills two, injures over 30

post-247607-0-99613900-1459666337_thumb.

BANGKOK: -- The driver of a bus and two passengers were killed and about 20 other passengers were injured when a train slammed into the bus at a railway crossing in Nakhon Pathom’s Nakhon Chaisri district Sunday morning.

Police said that the accident took place at about 7.30 am when the bus driver tried to drive past the railway crossing as the Bangkok-Nam Tok train was approaching. There was no barricade at the crossing, said the police.

The State Railway of Thailand explained later that the automatic barricade at the railway crossing was not yet operational but there are already traffic signs at the spot.

Killed at the scene were the bus driver and two passengers. 23 other passengers were also injured and all of them were later taken to nearby hospitals.

Mechanics and workers took several hours to remove the bus and to fix the tracks before normal train services through the crossing resumed.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/158030

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-03

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No flashing lights at the crossing. No drop down gates. Okayyyy, but you telling me the bus drive can't see that big <deleted> train coming at him???? Sorry, but I seriously hope the bus driver was one of those who were killed.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity

I understand the bus driver is one of the dead.

No lights etc. at that crossing and the trains don't hang about, but only two trains a day.

I've seen that crossing in another train / vehicle argument (big truck), as always there's only one winner.

Are there any speed restrictions on the train?
It seemed to be approaching at a hell of a rate for an unguarded crossing!

RIP the dead and get well soon the injured.

There's a very high possibility that the bus driver couldn't see the train coming.

Unfortunately, had he been very focused on the two cars crossing the railway.

There's no sign that the train driver even tried to hit the brakes. A useless loss of lives. RIP and a speedy recovery for the injured ones.

Edited by lostinisaan

The stupidity of drivers in charge of public vehicles and responsible for the lives of others in Thailand is staggering, as is the degree of accidents caused by stupidity costing the lives of innocents.

A accident easily avoided simply by slowing down and looking left and right... again... the level of stupidity is absolutely staggering...

My very simple advise to stop this shit.....Bus companies KNOW about unmanned crossings..........Incredibly dangerous places...

Tour buses have a CREW........Crew member gets out........Looks left and right.......Even has a stick to plant on the rails to feel/hear a train.........HE/SHE tells driver it is OK to cross.....So simple....

I always take the shortcut to my school, 23 km away from the city. No flashing lights, no gates, until an accident happened that took many lives.

Now there're warning lights and two gates. The gates sometime don't work and you can see how stupid some drivers are, trying to make it short before train arrives.

But no trains slow down, which seems to be a joke to me/

What happened in the bus before the crash?

It's one of these crazy dangerous double-deckers and some of the passengers should well have seen the disaster coming?

Yelling, shouting?

If I watch the video it looks to me:

First attempt to avoid the crash: full throttle, see the big exhaust cloud!

Then quickly realized: too late, full break.

The following bus: no honk? no flashing?

Driver too busy to push aside the oncoming pickup.

The second pickup probably saw the disaster coming.

Anxiously snuggling to the left and stopping.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Ridiculous. Not even a blinking light to warn the train is coming.

Let's see if the "PM" s a man of his word and doesn't anything in line with his latest pronouncement on public transport safety.

There's a very high possibility that the bus driver couldn't see the train coming.

" There's no sign that the train driver even tried to hit the brakes. A useless loss of lives. RIP and a speedy recovery for the injured ones.

"

You may be correct about the train braking, I couldn't see the train brake lights either ! ! ?

My very simple advise to stop this shit.....Bus companies KNOW about unmanned crossings..........Incredibly dangerous places...

Tour buses have a CREW........Crew member gets out........Looks left and right.......Even has a stick to plant on the rails to feel/hear a train.........HE/SHE tells driver it is OK to cross.....So simple....

Cannot krab, assistant sleeping in his bed. Better invest in more lights on the bus and airbrush so the train can see bus coming.

Did the train horn by the way?

No flashing lights at the crossing. No drop down gates. Okayyyy, but you telling me the bus drive can't see that big <deleted> train coming at him???? Sorry, but I seriously hope the bus driver was one of those who were killed.

Maybe he can't. He's looking into the sun.

You had your wishes come true. He was the one that died at the scene. Two others died at the hospital.

Notice the time of the day, and the sun's position. Look how long the shadows are, meaning the sun was very low. If he had seen the train at first, you think he would have driven?

Most likely not. He probably didn't see the train coming because he was blinded by the sun, and started driving. When he realized a train was coming he paniced, first pushing the pedal to the floor before realizing he wont make it and then he started braking as a pure panic reflex. It's a classic error. Would he have made it over? I don't think so. I think the only one to blame here are the government who still have not done something about it. There are no warning lights there, nor are there any form of barrier to prevent people from driving when a train is near.

You had your wishes come true. He was the one that died at the scene. Two others died at the hospital.

Notice the time of the day, and the sun's position. Look how long the shadows are, meaning the sun was very low. If he had seen the train at first, you think he would have driven?

Most likely not. He probably didn't see the train coming because he was blinded by the sun, and started driving. When he realized a train was coming he paniced, first pushing the pedal to the floor before realizing he wont make it and then he started braking as a pure panic reflex. It's a classic error. Would he have made it over? I don't think so. I think the only one to blame here are the government who still have not done something about it. There are no warning lights there, nor are there any form of barrier to prevent people from driving when a train is near.

I agree but even in BKK they are not well protected. When my father was here in the car with my wife they had to stop on the railway for congestion. Then a man came knocking at their window and asked (in Thai) if they could drive reverse a bit so he could close the barrier for the coming train. cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Would be fun if my father was driving alone, he can't speak thai.wai2.gif

This was on Vibhavadee road, close to Don Muang airport.

do the trains sound their whistle/horn at these unmanned uncontrolled crossings?? Those are usually pretty loud. Failing that, letting a person go outside the bus and act as a spotter to see and listen would have been a smart thing to do. Inside the busses it is hard to hear outside things since the windows are usually not open.

There's no sign that the train driver even tried to hit the brakes. A useless loss of lives. RIP and a speedy recovery for the injured ones.

He also couldn't hear the horn blasts from the train because his stereo/TV was too loud, so totally innocent.

As trains weigh many tons, and have very long stopping distances, perhaps they should be the ones to give way at level crossings. This would prevent injury and death to the blind and deaf morons that can't negotiate a level crossing safely, the idiots that drive on to crossings while the road beyond is blocked, and the chancers who reckon they can make it across in time.

Train smashes into double-decker bus in Thailand, killing 3

BANGKOK (AP) — A train smashed into a double-decker bus carrying Thai tourists at an unguarded railway crossing in central Thailand on Sunday, with local media reporting that three people were killed and more than two dozen injured.

Security video showed the bus moving slowly across the tracks and stopping momentarily before it is hit by the train. A car had crossed the tracks safely from the opposite direction a few seconds earlier.

Soon after the accident, the driver of another bus behind the one that was hit is seen getting out and running toward the crash. Another video from a camera positioned at a different angle shows the bus being hit and dragged some distance in a cloud of dust.

The Bangkok Post said that the driver of the bus was killed on the spot, and that two passengers died at a hospital. Around 30 passengers were injured.

The newspaper said the accident occurred at about 7:30 a.m. in Nakhon Pathom province, west of Bangkok. The bus was taking tourists to Samet island in Rayong province, southeast of Bangkok.

Such accidents occur often in Thailand, where many railway crossings do not have barriers.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-04

Deadly collision between train and double-decker bus in Thailand

606x341_328945.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A train has collided with a double-decker bus carrying Thai tourists at an unguarded railway crossing in central Thailand.

Local media say three people were killed and more than two dozen injured.

Security video showed the bus moving slowly across the tracks and stopping momentarily before it collided with the train.

Another video from a different angle showed the bus being hit and dragged some distance in a cloud of dust.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-04-04

But now you're talking about safety which is non existing in Thailand.

Life is cheap here.

Mr Prayuth wont be happy the video in all its glory is on Daily Mail website........... pesky trains buses and journalistscoffee1.gif

It's also being reported on BBC World TV News.

Maybe time for a certain lady to assure such things don't affect tourism and in fact the figures expected for Songkran have already gone through several roofs.

Edited by NongKhaiKid