Panama Papers scandal prompts quick action by Thai AMLO

webfact

"Twenty names of Thai nationals who included well-known rich families, businessmen, celebrities, politicians and military officers are said to be among the list. They are linked to 963 companies."

I bet some of them appear on TV regulary

'said to be'.

Since you're so explicit you might have mentioned 'police and military officers', just to show your objectivity rolleyes.gif

Interesting that till now the number of names 'confirmed' is somewhat minimal. Of course the alleged list is somewhat longer.

Well I should have put in bold the whole sentence, but I am particularly awaiting the list of the Army it will bring a bit more interest to the current Junta leaders....

Maybe they will export Attitude Adjustment to Panama

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Organisation that received the "Panama papers": ICIJ

Recent ICIJ funders include: Adessium Foundation, Open Society Foundations, The Sigrid Rausing Trust, the Fritt Ord Foundation, the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting, The Ford Foundation, The David and Lucile Packard Foundation, Pew Charitable Trusts and Waterloo Foundation.

... well, so the socalled "elites" leak stuff and use it against everybody who is not in their club and

the lameshit media produces reports that go exactly in the direction these people want it to go [... like Putin .. what a surprise]

It's interesting that people still fall for this propaganda-lie-bs !!!

I thought people would be smarter by now.

The International Consortium of Investigative JournalistsThe International Consortium of Investigative JournalistsThe International Consortium of Investgative rnalists

Here's a great video for you to watch.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/907875-how-conspiracy-theories-are-created-great-laugh/

Nothing will come of this. A few people may have to resign from their positions still extremely wealthy such as the PM of Iceland .Don't forget the 2008 world financial crisis caused by the banks and not one single banker went to jail. Different but still the same. The unfortunate part is that the only person who will end up in jail or dead will be the anonymous person who submitted the data.

From Khaosod: Police Col. Paisit Wongmuang of the Department of Special Investigation, said that the agency may get in touch with the source of the leaks for information about the 21 Thais.

“We are trying to coordinate with the source of the information in order to verify facts and accuracy of the information,” Seehanart said Tuesday.

--

No need I've found them for you. The link below has all the Panama Papers released so far (149 out of 11.5 million documents):

https://www.documentcloud.org/public/search/Source:%20%22Internal%20documents%20from%20Mossack%20Fonseca%20(Panama%20Papers)%22

What on earth is the point….anyone listed in the Panama papers is very wealthy and so very influential. They will never see justice delivered, so why go through the charade of another pointless AMLO investigation. I'm still waiting for the guy with the billion baht in black plastic bags in his house, Supoj, the ex-Permanent Secretary for Transport, to be indicted and brought to trial….as usual he's been moved to an inactive post for years now.

Sounds like their are going to be quite a few Thais scrambling to their banks to get those envelopes ready. It amazes me that this is just coming to light. Panama was well known for its banking practises for offshore accounts.

It is a leak, we all knew that some dodgy dealings were taking place, just exactly what and by whom was the mystery, it is high time they were all shut down, they serve no positive purpose in the modern world, they used to be important hundreds of years ago, but that was for a very different purpose to how they are used today. Unfortunately with the likes of Cameron's own father using them, there is not a lot of international pressure on them, quite the opposite in fact.

"Twenty names of Thai nationals who included well-known rich families, businessmen, celebrities, politicians and military officers are said to be among the list. They are linked to 963 companies."

'said to be'.

Since you're so explicit you might have mentioned 'police and military officers', just to show your objectivity rolleyes.gif

Because that wasnt the quote ?!?!

You just making stuff up to fit your own bias ??

'said to be'.

Interesting that till now the number of names 'confirmed' is somewhat minimal. Of course the alleged list is somewhat longer.

Well I should have put in bold the whole sentence, but I am particularly awaiting the list of the Army it will bring a bit more interest to the current Junta leaders....

My guess would be that if names are put into print, then foreign news agencies would be where to look.....I can't imagine the Thai media to expose any local names.....unless of course they're "enemies" of the state :)

Nice of AMLO to give the tax evaders and hoarders ample time to make other arrangements. IMHO, like anything else in Thailand that involves the connected they are given ample warning to get theirs acts together. In the end, I suspect the AMLO probe will conclude that any Thais that had setup shop offshore did so legally and all taxes were paid up in full (in the form of brown envelopes). Nice little earner for the AMLO people.

They may however announce another crackdown on outward bound overseas transfers and parade a few low level businesspeople in front of the cameras. But the big fish will get away. Par for the course I am afraid.

Interesting to note that the PM who has been quite vocal about small issues such as taxi scams, beach chairs, red bowls and calendars is thus far mute on this breaking int'l story.

Edited by docshock13

To bad can't get list from Singapore, lots of locals have accounts there as well

Cyprus, Lichtenstein, BVI, and so on. There are many places to put your money legally if done correctly. A bit shady perhaps, but still legal in most cases if you do it correctly.

Most countries don't tax their citizens on their world wide income if they live abroad, however, Americans are not so lucky. In regards to Thais, I'm sure there are plenty of tax loopholes that allow them to not report money abroad. But it all makes for a juicy read and headlines.

Look at Starbucks and IKEA for excellent examples of how to use tax havens to their advantage. For the Thais who don't report that income, they may not have to if it was money made abroad. I'm not familiar with the Thai tax code.

'said to be'.

My guess would be that if names are put into print, then foreign news agencies would be where to look.....I can't imagine the Thai media to expose any local names.....unless of course they're "enemies" of the state :)

It is easy to get nominee directors to have the account held in their name. It's just another service offered to them. Thais, or anyone else, who were trying to hide money (illegally) and didn't use this option, were foolish, because it is easy to do.

You probably won't ever hear of the larger accounts, or the more shady ones, because they were smart enough to cover their ass if they were doing something they didn't want anyone else to know about. The low hanging fruit will be exposed, as usual.

Who cares! In Thailand there will be the usual round of denials but actually Thai people expect the rich to do it. After all they would themselves if they could and quite honestly so would most of us. There will be much more witch hunting in the rest of the world in countries where they feel they have some sort of moral superiority.

Could this be the downfall of the high and mighty? I doubt if Panama will care about publishing the names of Thai's that have such accounts and it wont do a thing for Thailand to tell them they dont understand "Thainess"

Anybody outed as a Panama shadows figure will gain total respect and admiration from the Thai population. Only those with power to annoy such account holders will pretend to be holier than thou long enough to get their brown envelopes and go away.

Panama - hub for Flags of Convenience and Cloaked Companies of Convenience.

I suspect that any revelation by the Thai authorities will be heavily redacted.

Pity - I was hoping to see where the money for the Aircraft Carrier & GT200 bomb detectors went.

I am sure most of the wealthy families are involved. Maybe not through this particular law

firm in Panama but another law firm or another country. So I doubt there will be much

finger pointing. Your fellow country club member today, you tomorrow. It will all be swept

under the rug, everyone will be found to have done everything legally, paid there taxes etc..

(except Thaksin of course) coffee1.gif

In the interests of balance and to put the media hysteria over this story into perspective, it's worth reading the following from Simon Black:

The Internet practically exploded this morning after a detailed report was published proving that dozens of corrupt politicians around the world have been stealing public funds and hiding the loot overseas.

In other news, the Pope is Catholic.

Not to make light of this, but this hardly comes as a surprise. There’s some Grade A filth in positions of power who routinely funnel public funds into their own pockets. Whether they secret the funds offshore, buy expensive flats in London, purchase Bitcoin, or stuff cash under their mattresses seems hardly relevant.

<snip>

I’d advise you to turn DOWN the volume. This podcast is probably the most intense I’ve ever done. Listen in here.

Edited by metisdead
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

'said to be'.

Because that wasnt the quote ?!?!

You just making stuff up to fit your own bias ??

Quote, what quote and from where?

Anyway, 'are said to be'

The Panama Papers are pretty much confirming what the majority of us already thought in the first place, and I would be surprised if there were't well-known rich families, businessmen, celebrities, politicians and military officers on the list!

And, while the stuff hits the fan, let's just remember that the Panama Papers are sourced from just one law firm, in just one tax haven. This is most certainly the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

This is going to be fun to watch...

That is a bloody good point to be honest.

It will be sure that not everyone showing up in these lists will be identified, unless someone outside Thailand independently takes on that responsibility and spreads it all over the internet, as they may not be so ready to accept dirty brown envelopes as others. Not that I am suggesting that should happen, at all.

Oh, they'll be exposed, don't worry about that!

Hopefully something like this will happen:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-05/icelandic-pm-refuses-to-resign-over-panama-papers-leak/7298944

"I'm not going to resign". He'll be gone by Friday, latest.

Less than 24 hours... Iceland PM Resigns Following Protests Over Offshore Investments

While this is making big news across the world, we may forget that this is just one company out of many in one country out of many that specializes in shell companies and tax shelters. The problem is so much larger than this one company.