Any Proper British Fish n Chip Shops in Phuket

LivinginKata

Over many many years here in Phuket I have seen a number of proper fish n chip shops come and go.

A guy called Simon opened one about 15 years on Rat-U-Tit about opposite the big massage place. He lasted a few years and moved onto Pattaya.

About the same time a place open on Rat-U-Tit about opposite the main Post Office. They lasted even less time.

Later a place opened in Kata along the line of small bars opposite the defunct sewage works. Did not last long at all.

I'm looking for battered burger or sausage with chips. About 9 years ago Larry opened Ting Tong's Restaurant/Bar on Nanai Road that served a nice battered sausage, chips, and beans. But since Larry left service became erratic.

So can anyone point any gems that I don't know about ?

Edited by LivinginKata

I really don't see fish and chips as being complicated to prepare.

Batter on a fillet...some hot oil and french fries.

I do prefer Dory.

Back in England (ok 40 years back)...I used to get huge helpings in inked up newspapers.

Not so bad, however.

I know a few restuarant that serve very nice battered fish n chips.

But I am really looking for battered burger or battered sauage ...

And I want to eat out ...

But I will check it out in person after Songkran ...

Edited by LivinginKata

I really don't see fish and chips as being complicated to prepare.

Batter on a fillet...some hot oil and french fries.

I do prefer Dory.

Back in England (ok 40 years back)...I used to get huge helpings in inked up newspapers.

Not so bad, however.

You'd think not, but presumably its harder than we'd think as fish and chips here (or even chips on their own) are nothing like those back in the UK.

I think its 'cos the types of fish used are different, as are the potatoes?

Can't help you with the battered sausage I'm afraid, but slipperylobster may have a point in that (if you can be bothered to do so) it should be fairly easy to cook battered sausage yourself. And no, I couldn't be arsed either laugh.png !

I don't get around restaurants much, but the best battered fish I've come across (in my v limited experience!) was served by Coconut Bar in Rawai - but the chips (as in English chips, not french fries) weren't as good as the wedge fries sold by Lucky 13 on Viset Rd.

Fries or Chips...absolutely just sliced up potatoes.

I like my fries thick..and honestly, many restaurants serve up fries(chips) thickly sliced. Not many of those places will call them chips...but they are fried in oil the same. Even Sizzler serves up fries that are thick enough for englishmen.

There are a variety of choices with fries (fried potatoes). You slice them according to your liking. There are no added ingredients in Chips or Fries, normally. A sprinkling of salt.

I eat them many ways...and I do prefer tarter sauce or a bit of vinegar. I don't care for ketchup so much...but if nothing else is available, I will mix some mayonnaise in.

Bottom line....chips, fries....whatever. Thick sliced. Not rocket science.

It's a potato.

Edited by slipperylobster

Not quite as simple as that.

All potatoes fall into two classifications. They are either "waxy", or "floury".

For frying, or boiling you need a "waxy" variety and for mash, or roasted, "floury" varieties are best.

A good way to tell the difference is that in slightly salted fresh water, floury varieties float and waxy varieties sink.

Google "floury and waxy potatoes". Lots of useful info.

Edited by KarenBravo

Fries or Chips...absolutely just sliced up potatoes.

I like my fries thick..and honestly, many restaurants serve up fries(chips) thickly sliced. Not many of those places will call them chips...but they are fried in oil the same. Even Sizzler serves up fries that are thick enough for englishmen.

There are a variety of choices with fries (fried potatoes). You slice them according to your liking. There are no added ingredients in Chips or Fries, normally. A sprinkling of salt.

I eat them many ways...and I do prefer tarter sauce or a bit of vinegar. I don't care for ketchup so much...but if nothing else is available, I will mix some mayonnaise in.

Bottom line....chips, fries....whatever. Thick sliced. Not rocket science.

It's a potato.

So why is it impossible to find 'fish and chip shop' chips like those in the UK??

I think KarenBravo may partly have the answer, but it also seems likely that the potatoes here (whichever variety) are not quite the same - heat/humidity/seasons etc.

Please members ... I am not asking about to make chips or fish at home.

I am asking where to find a good old fashioned take away chippie here on Phuket.

To be honest I don't expect a positive answer. Just hopeful ...

There isn't one sad.png .

But just to answer a few questions on this thread, fish and chips are cooked in dripping in the North of England, oil in the South. I prefer the ones cooked in Dripping.

Dory is too wet, cod or haddock is expensive here so the nearest is swordfish.

Batter must have plenty of air whisked into it and the oil or dripping must be very hot.

KaronBravo is right, some potatoes are better than others.

The best fish and chips in beer batter I've eaten here were at a restaurant that has recently closed, the chef though is now at the Coriacea Boutique Resort in Mai Khao.

They do lunches, and I'm sure would do you sausage/burger in batter with chips if you called them up and asked them.thumbsup.gif

Well, you know about Farang Paradise already. They have gone downhill a bit. Cookie used to be a jovial guy but he was surly as can be last time I was there (March).blink.png

But his fish and chips (battered or breaded) are very good. Go for the food, the rest is not really important. coffee1.gif

Please members ... I am not asking about to make chips or fish at home.

I am asking where to find a good old fashioned take away chippie here on Phuket.

To be honest I don't expect a positive answer. Just hopeful ...

There isn't one sad.png.

But just to answer a few questions on this thread, fish and chips are cooked in dripping in the North of England, oil in the South. I prefer the ones cooked in Dripping.

Dory is too wet, cod or haddock is expensive here so the nearest is swordfish.

Batter must have plenty of air whisked into it and the oil or dripping must be very hot.

KaronBravo is right, some potatoes are better than others.

The best fish and chips in beer batter I've eaten here were at a restaurant that has recently closed, the chef though is now at the Coriacea Boutique Resort in Mai Khao.

They do lunches, and I'm sure would do you sausage/burger in batter with chips if you called them up and asked them.thumbsup.gif

The emboldened part sounds about right to me!

I was raised in England on Fish n Chips. The fish there is all what they call Cold water fish. In Thailand its Warm water fish and tastes very different to anyone with Cold water fish upbringing. When in Rome do as the Romans do I suggest you try Yam pa Padook Foo. You will most likely like it better than English Fish n Chips and a lot more healthy for you. Best way I can describe it is Catfish with a mango salad with cashew nuts.

I would have to say, my little haunt on Ao Yon, Brasserie, OK Belgium Owner (not really a problem) but Michelin style Cod and Chips, note also they have Sole, etc everything is generally imported, and there is also an amazing view...

Prices 2xx THB for fish and chips for 1 , 5xx THB for fish and chips for two.

and my lunch

12472547_1516295378677202_51710278031140

Anns kitchen in boat avenue near Laguna. Does great battered fish and excellent fat chips... She also does lots of other good dishes. And I'm sure on request she would do battered sausage or burgers.. The apple pie is to die for!!!.

And an awesome chicken curry with chips... Only disadvantage is she only has out side seats... Otherwise I would be eating there more than once or twice a week...

Nearby is the slug and lettuce which also does very nice battered fish and chips... And a pretty good roast although the beef can be a bit tough....