UK police arrest 5 in investigation after Europe attacks

rooster59

UK police arrest 5 in investigation after Europe attacks

PAISLEY DODDS, Associated Press

LONDON (AP) — Five people have been arrested in Britain and several properties were searched Friday in Birmingham in an investigation that security officials say is possibly linked to a key suspect in the deadly attacks in Paris and Brussels.

West Midlands Assistant Chief Constable Marcus Beale said the five arrests aimed to address "any associated threat to the U.K. following the attacks in Europe." The move comes only days after authorities in Belgium detained a suspect in connection with deadly attacks in Brussels and Paris who had ties to the Birmingham area.

Four people — three men aged 26, 40 and 59 and one 29-year-old woman — were arrested Thursday in the central English city of Birmingham and a 26-year-old man was arrested Friday at London's Gatwick Airport. Police said the five were arrested for suspected ties to the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terror.

Police would not elaborate on the searches in Birmingham.

A week ago, Belgian authorities arrested and identified the "man in the hat" spotted on video alongside the two suicide bombers who attacked Brussels Airport on March 22, killing 16 people. The suspect, Mohamed Abrini, was also wanted in the Nov. 13 Paris attacks that left 130 people dead.

One European security official told The Associated Press that Abrini had made multiple trips to Birmingham last year, meeting with several men suspected of terrorist activity. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to provide details about the investigation.

Surveillance had been taking place on suspected cell members in the Birmingham area since the Paris attacks, the official said.

A second European security with access to Belgian counterterrorism data said West Midlands police had closed in on a ring of suspects linked to Abrini's phone after his recent arrest.

A Belgian judge on Thursday ordered Abrini and six other suspects arrested in connection with the attacks in Paris and Brussels kept behind bars for another month.

Britain has faced multiple terror attacks and plots since four suicide bombers struck London's subways and buses in 2005, killing 52 people and the four bombers.

Some 800 British citizens have gone to Syria to fight. Of those, about 100 are thought to have died and 300 or so have returned, according to the European security official who spoke about the arrests in Birmingham.

"It would be exceedingly difficult to replicate the scale of the attacks in Paris, as it is still difficult in Britain to access guns and ammunition," said Shiraz Maher, senior research fellow at the International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation. "However, as we've seen from the 2005 suicide attacks, the threat is still severe to Britain."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-16

Birmingham seems to come a lot in these sorts of topics.

Its all good in the hood. Cultural centre of respectability and law abiding Citizens.

post-249588-0-92242900-1460771172_thumb.

Three gang members who were involved in the supply of illegal firearms across Birmingham have been jailed for almost 30 years – the last of 18 men to be sentenced.

Darren Mentore, Clinton Officer and Jamal Shaka Smith were handed prison terms of 12, 11 and six years respectively at the city’s Crown Court on Friday (22 January).

http://www.west-midlands.police.uk/latest-news/news.aspx?Id=4069

""It would be exceedingly difficult to replicate the scale of the attacks in Paris, as it is still difficult in Britain to access guns and ammunition,""

Well blow me over, all is fine and dandy. Let all the terrorists back, they have only turned their back on the UK and gone to fight for or s**g for a body intent on murder and domination.

Lost for words.

"It would be exceedingly difficult to replicate the scale of the attacks in Paris, as it is still difficult in Britain to access guns and ammunition," said Shiraz Maher, senior research fellow at the International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation. "However, as we've seen from the 2005 suicide attacks, the threat is still severe to Britain."

Shiraz Maher should get his head out of the clouds and start looking a little closer to home.

New figures seen by the Standard show that police seized 18 sub-machine guns from criminals in the capital last year, compared to 13 similar weapons in 2014.
The figures were revealed as the Met announced a new crackdown on armed criminals saying they had recovered eight handguns and three AK-47s in the past week.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/rise-in-deadly-submachine-guns-on-london-streets-a3226126.html

Shiraz Maher should get his head out of the clouds and start looking a little closer to home.

New figures seen by the Standard show that police seized 18 sub-machine guns from criminals in the capital last year, compared to 13 similar weapons in 2014.

The figures were revealed as the Met announced a new crackdown on armed criminals saying they had recovered eight handguns and three AK-47s in the past week.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/rise-in-deadly-submachine-guns-on-london-streets-a3226126.html

Wow! That's more than they have in the USA!

When I read this article and see, that 800 British citizens have gone off to fight, and 300

or so have returned. I have to wonder, are these people Born and bred Christian Brits, or

are they from a Muslim or Islam back ground? I have always wished that if a person has

a prior connection to this present ISIL fight, or any other Islamist radical group, that this

would be clarified in the news article. I have heard of a few people who were Christian,

going to join and fight in the ME, but I have to wonder just how many there are, as compared

with the Citizens who are not Christian in their faith, running off to kill in the name of

ISIL or some other terror organization. Just me wondering about life as a geezer, who is

happy not to be living anywhere near the troubles that are going on in Syria, or Iraq

or in the ME.

When I read this article and see, that 800 British citizens have gone off to fight, and 300

or so have returned. I have to wonder, are these people Born and bred Christian Brits, or

are they from a Muslim or Islam back ground? I have always wished that if a person has

a prior connection to this present ISIL fight, or any other Islamist radical group, that this

would be clarified in the news article. I have heard of a few people who were Christian,

going to join and fight in the ME, but I have to wonder just how many there are, as compared

with the Citizens who are not Christian in their faith, running off to kill in the name of

ISIL or some other terror organization. Just me wondering about life as a geezer, who is

happy not to be living anywhere near the troubles that are going on in Syria, or Iraq

or in the ME.

It is truly incredible. Arab special forces are slaughtering ISIS members in Syria and Iraq, all Europe has to do is cancel the passports of those who went to join ISIS and the job would be done for us. Instead we let hundreds if not thousands back in and predictably Europol loses track of them.

I believe it's the largest UK city outside of London and houses the UK's largest Muslim communities.

You're not allowed to use the "M" word. You're supposed to say "radicals".

'Asian' is the usual cop out as seen in all the rape gang reports, a slur on the vast majority of other Asian people who have been a success in the UK. Obviously these people are Muslims who cannot seem to live anywhere peacefully, they have a problem with the whole world, including other muslims,

Edited by thai3

I believe it's the largest UK city outside of London and houses the UK's largest Muslim communities.

I'm not even sure radicals is PC enough for some,''people who do not wish us well'' is perhaps better

Another 3 from Birmingham arrested.

A man has been arrested at Manchester Airport on suspicion of "Syria-related terrorism" offences.

The 18-year-old from Birmingham was detained after arriving back in the UK on Saturday morning.

It follows the arrest of a 24-year-old man and 20-year-old woman, both from Birmingham, on 4 April, who are on bail, West Midlands police said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-36062483

The article stresses that it is not connected to the arrests in the OP.

Terror suspects out on bail. Time to commission a few secure holding centres.

""It would be exceedingly difficult to replicate the scale of the attacks in Paris, as it is still difficult in Britain to access guns and ammunition,""

Well blow me over, all is fine and dandy. Let all the terrorists back, they have only turned their back on the UK and gone to fight for or s**g for a body intent on murder and domination.

Lost for words.

Sure, the Provisional IRA, the INLA, the UVF, UFF, UDA all found it tremendously challenging and difficult when building their arsenals.

I'm not even sure radicals is PC enough for some,''people who do not wish us well'' is perhaps better

There are some very large Mosques in Birmingham. One is fairly close to a Thai Buddhist temple. If you want to see the sort of people who frequent the Mosques just drive buy after prayers as they loiter in the streets and hang round the corners. Mainly groups of young men in their 20-30s. Anyone not obviously Muslim gets eyeballed and I mean eyeballed. Occasionally we'd visit that Buddhist temple and the drive back by the Mosque was never comfortable.

As for law and order - you won't see many West Midlands police patrolling those areas. Or non Muslims out enjoying a walk anywhere near the Mosque.

Some areas and schools are predominantly Asian - mainly from the Indian sub-continent and with Hindus and Sikhs as well as Muslims. But only one group refuse to integrate and are openly hostile to others.

Edited by Baerboxer

Trying to locate the source but I glimpsed something about a plan the arrested had to attack the Londonistan eye.

Edit

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/london-eye-a-target-paris-7766163

Beat me to it.

London Eye ‘was next Isis target for Paris and Brussels bombers’

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/17/london-eye-was-next-isis-target-for-paris-and-brussels-bombers-5822171/