Watana held in military custody for an unspecified period of time

webfact

Watana held in military custody for an unspecified period of time

1804002.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order has ignored former Pheu Thai MP Watana Muangsook’s threat of lawsuits if he was not released from military custody at 3 pm on Monday and has him locked up for an unspecified period of time.

An informed source close to the military junta said that Watana had affixed his signature in acknowledgement of the charges against him.

The source quoted the NCPO as saying that the junta does not question Mr Watana’s right to free expressions but his exercising of the right must be within the framework of the law.

The NCPO, however, questioned Mr Watana’s motive of speaking against the draft charter which it deems as provocative and inciting of dissent. Also, it was pointed out by the junta that the ex-MP had defied the military several times before.

Regarding Mr Watana’s accusation that the NCPO has violated human rights principle for holding him in detention, the junta defended that the UN human rights convention while protecting individuals against violations of human rights does not mean that the individuals can do anything at will without the need to abide by the law.

The NCPO said that several politicians had been summoned for attitude adjustment and all were freed after they agreed to abide by the terms set by the junta. Anyone who broke the term of agreement is liable to two years imprisonment and/or a fine of 40,000 baht.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/159969

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-19

Thai ' justice ' is questionable at the best of times but AA is illegal detention without due process, it's detention on a whim.

Thailand calls itself a developed country ? cheesy.gif

Edited by NongKhaiKid

A report on Watana surrendering is featured on BBC World news and the commentary by Jonathan Head is less than complimentary.

This sort of story needs to be shown internationally so the world has no illusions about what goes on here.

Unfortunately it's unlikely to concern the junta and may, in fact, strengthen their resolve to maintain control no matter what and the world doesn't understand Thainess anyway. Does knock holes in their regular assertions that other countries understand and support the Road Map which is to solve all the nation's ills.

I see that several academics from various universities spoke badly about the charter.

Even having the audacity to encourage people not to vote for it. Watana only made a few personal comments of his dislike for the charter. I think the academics encouraging people not to vote is much worse.

Why have they not been arrested ?

One law for all equally.

Lots of Democrat party supporters must be feeling pretty silly these days. They should be anyway. On the bright side, future generations will be getting laughs from Thailand's 'reverse revolution' and it's incredibly predictable outcome for years to come. Maybe not in Thailand though.

Just look at it... an ex-minister who has done no wrong bundled away by green-clad Army guards. Cannot say more.

I must ask! Did you actually read what he posted on his Facebook?

I am certain you did not, yet you blabber on about doing no wrong. How can make such a claim unless you were privy to what he wrote and then deleted?

I cannot say more

Just look at it... an ex-minister who has done no wrong bundled away by green-clad Army guards. Cannot say more.

I am certain you did not, yet you blabber on about doing no wrong. How can make such a claim unless you were privy to what he wrote and then deleted?

I cannot say more

Well, I can say more;

It doesn't matter!

I cannot say more

I am dying to find out how writing something critical to the draft constitution could possibly be 'wrong'

So this lot is supposedly returning Thailand to democracy, but people critical of the draft are detained. How could the referendum have any meaning when debate and discussion isn't allowed ?

The reason is obvious for most observers short from a few Junta Supporters, namely that the draft DOES NOT return democracy toThailand, and the Junta is hoping for a face saving yes. In case of a no it will shove an undisclosed constitution down the Thai electorate's throat. That one doesn't return democracy to Thailand either of course and could actually be worse.

I cannot say more

Well, I can say more;

It doesn't matter!

It might if he's inciting violence although I'm sure if he was that would have been mentioned. There may come a time when even that might be accepted by some if it's seen as the only way forward.

At the moment he represents a party who in my view because of influence from the top weren't fit to govern and were removed by a coup. Not an ideal situation but it offered a chance for moderate voices to be heard and a way forward to be found. After 2 years that hope seems to have gone, the complaints are coming from both sides and the military leaders are just digging a deeper hole for themselves.

In this case it seems they are just trying to silence someone who should be allowed to voice his opinion. If he says something that isn't true they should be able to show that it isn't.

In February 2016 DPM Wissanu said that, since there is no law which forbids any campaign against the draft Constitution, thorough consideration must be given so people may still exercise their right of expression.

RTP and Attorney General would have no legal grounds to charge Watana. However, the military operating under Article 44 decides its own laws and need not concern itself with due process of law provided for under current Thai laws. That's UN human rights convention - Royal Thai Military style.

I cannot say more

Are you really this naive?

He wrote "something" on Facebook, that was so horrendous, that you can justify, detaining him?

Seriously?

I cannot say more

He wrote "something" on Facebook, that was so horrendous, that you can justify, detaining him?

Seriously?

Are you so naive to think that other countries have not arrested people and even convicted them for things they posted in fb?

I cannot say more

Seriously?

Are you so naive to think that other countries have not arrested people and even convicted them for things they posted in fb?

The good old "it's the same in other countries" tactic! Do you really think anyone will be convinced by your argument?

It's obviously not the same in other countries. When there is a referendum, people and parties are allowed to campaign against the proposal without any threat of "adjustment".

To the few Westerners who still support the junta;

You're a disgrace to the countries you were raised in!

Well I was raised in the UK which is in the EU.... Not very good examples of democracy and just as full of liars, cheats and corruption as any third world country, and if you want to look at the USA and their electoral primaries and how they are going, it is like watching Zimbabwe's electoral process unfold.

I don't know what country YOU hail from, but I bet it is equally disgraceful in its oppression of its populus.

Maybe if YOUR country's democracy was in the pre-coup shambles that Thailand was in, then maybe that country would be no different today.

What I did NOT support, was people throwing grenades at children and indiscriminately shooting into crowds.... Unless of course that is what YOU supported, in which case... what does that make YOU????

Edited by Brewster67

Well I was raised in the UK which is in the EU.... Not very good examples of democracy and just as full of liars, cheats and corruption as any third world country, and if you want to look at the USA and their electoral primaries and how they are going, it is like watching Zimbabwe's electoral process unfold.

I don't know what country YOU hail from, but I bet it is equally disgraceful in its oppression of its populous.

If you claim that the governments of the West are as oppressive as the junta then you are an extremist and I don't debate with those.

I cannot say more

Seriously?

I'm sure there are such countries. So, you're defending it that there no freedom of speech? Then, you should just shut up as well

I cannot say more

Seriously?

In those countries we would all know exactly what he said and there would be some basis in law for his arrest. Even in Turkey we'd know!

I don't know what country YOU hail from, but I bet it is equally disgraceful in its oppression of its populous.

If you claim that the governments of the West are as oppressive as the junta then you are an extremist and I don't debate with those.

Open your eyes.... Germans being arrested under hate speech laws for daring to criticise the open door migrant situation. A comedian arrested for making a harmless joke about the Turkish president.... IN GERMANY.

UK teenagers thrown in prison for laying bacon over the door handles of a mosque for a laugh.

Swedes being arrested, losing their homes and their jobs for daring to speak out against migrants.

Man.... you need to wake up. Many many more examples of how the west is going.

If you think I am wrong to think this is oppression and suppression of freedom, then YOU are the extremist.

What is happening to this guy in Thailand is hardly a public execution, he will be released completely unharmed.

I seriously doubt your intelligentsia on any subject let alone this one.

Edit to add.... A German friend recently returned back there from Thailand now can't post certain things on his facebook in fear of arrest..... Also the EU looking at ways to stop anyone criticising the EU project by making it illegal and forcing member states to make it law........ So YES.... Western governments are as bad and getting worse.

Edited by Brewster67