Why the incredible traffic congestion in Pattaya?

Asiantravel

Over the past week and in particular last night (Sunday) and through today I have noticed the traffic in Pattaya along Beach Road, second road and Klang in particular has been incredibly congested. I can never remember seeing the traffic as bad as it was last night . Is there any reason for this?

Last night Klang was like a great wall of buses going nowhere.

On a Sunday night you expect all the Bangkok visitors to have got back and it usually pretty quiet particularly in April.

This afternoon the traffic was backed up all along Beach Road (again primarily buses) as far as Central Festival. I have never seen that before.

And I also noticed a significant increase in incidents involving drivers jumping red lights in particular buses turning right towards jomtien at the corner of South Pattaya Road and second road.

Today was the third time I have seen all the motorbikes and cars waiting for the lights change to green before continuing down second road and just as the engines rev up and they set off when it does change to green, a huge bus blocks the entire road so it evidently came through on a red.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can extend your report to include Sukhumvit Rd last night, and Pattaya Nua, 3rd Rd, and Sukhumvit again today.

I took my wife shopping last night at Macro and Lotus (Suk). I live on the darkside. It took 45 minutes to get to Macro (from the east end of Nernplubwarn). We finished there at 8:30. Suk was STILL heavy. It took 10 minutes to get from Macro to Lotus!

Today, I had to go to Home Pro and Foodland. Left my house at 2:30. Got to Home Pro at 2:45. I've been using the longer (distance) route lately. I go north on Nongprue Road, then up onto 7 to Suk; right on Suk to Pattaya Nua; left to 3rd Rd; 3rd Rd to back entrance to Big C Extra. Although that's about 1 km longer than the convoluted route to Pattaya Klang from my house, it's usually about 10 minutes faster. NOT today. Coming home from Foodland, the usual backup at the top of Klang to turn south, and go up the 7 ramp; with heavy traffic on Suk all the way to the ramp. Not bad once off the ramp and onto the RR bypass, and the u-turn to get back to Soi Siam CC.

Like the OP, I am mystified as to why traffic is so heavy. I thought the BKK crowd, and most other tourists, would clear out after Songkran.

I've got to back to that hell hole again tomorrow to Wattana; and then lunch at Tequila Reef. I'm hoping for a much better traffic situation; but I won't bet on it!

like the previous poster I live on the 'dark side' by the lake.

I usually only go into Pattaya once a week by car to do a large shop at Makro or Big C. (I do the occasional trip in by m'bike for bills etc) I've always gone on Saturday morning around 9-9.30 am as I've found that not a bad time to get in and out by11am.

Not this last Saturday. Chock a block on the motorway into town and Pattaya Nua.

I guess we're going to have to live with it and it will only get worse. I just cannot understandwhy some visionary doesn't build a large super/hyper market on the darkside. I did hear rumours that the land that has been cleared on the big bend just before you get to the lake on SiamCC road was for such a project. It's been cleared now for a couple of years at least and nowt seems to be happening.

As you report the backup being caused primarily by tour busses parking or blocking roads and intersections, I suggest you check the calendar for any Chinese national holidays.

As an aside, I went to Harbor Mall and Big C Extra today around late morning and returned around mid-day, from the Darkside, and experienced only the normal amount of traffic congestion.

like the previous poster I live on the 'dark side' by the lake.

I usually only go into Pattaya once a week by car to do a large shop at Makro or Big C. (I do the occasional trip in by m'bike for bills etc) I've always gone on Saturday morning around 9-9.30 am as I've found that not a bad time to get in and out by11am.

Not this last Saturday. Chock a block on the motorway into town and Pattaya Nua.

I guess we're going to have to live with it and it will only get worse. I just cannot understandwhy some visionary doesn't build a large super/hyper market on the darkside. I did hear rumours that the land that has been cleared on the big bend just before you get to the lake on SiamCC road was for such a project. It's been cleared now for a couple of years at least and nowt seems to be happening.

We note that:

1) you live by the lake

2) you only go to Pattaya once a week by car to shop

3) Last Saturday this trip took longer than usually

4) Nobody wants to build a mall by your front porch

Thank you for sharing this information, emilymat

I read yesterday that Thailand greeted 9 million visitors in the first quarter of this year, and I would wager that 8 million of them were Chinese. Most of those came to Pattaya.

Time to keep the Tour busses outside of town. I'm sure the Baht Busses would be more than happy to provide local transportation to shuttle them around the busy areas.

It is definitely impacting the quality of life for Pattaya residents, Thai & Farang alike.

quality chinese tourists like to travel by bus whistling.gif

Whomever they are is not at stake.

In my dreams, City Council is focusing on bus logistics: offering dedicated parking lots, not allowing drivers to use their nearly empty bus to drive clientele to entertainment venues and restaurants (shuttles are more efficient). Simple measures that would automatically free tens of km lanes on main avenues and lower exhaust and noise pollution to bearable levels.violin.gif

The problem is of course the buses. If something isn't done to control them they will bring Pattaya to a standstill. Everywhere you go it's lines and lines of buses. No town could cope with that especially a small one like Pattaya. Add in the new Habour mall on Klang and it's a recipe for disaster.

I've come to the conclusion that the average Thai doesn't care if they are stuck in the traffic for 45 minutes or two hours. That's why nothing is done to improve the traffic flow. It's as simple as that.

What a ridiculous, self-absorbed comment.

Do you think people stuck in traffic jams everyday around the world are indifferent to them because if they really, really cared, they'd magically disappear?

"It's as simple as that."

Simple is certainly the appropriate word, but probably not in the way you meant. It's on a par with most of the comments that supposedly describe how the Thais (all 67 million of them) think or act in some innately inferior way to the marvelous farang.

Might have been people restocking after songkran. I was stuck in the hell for a couple of hours last Saturday as well. Even dark side was horrible. Expect further attack of the hordes of the south this weekend due to payday.

Alternative routes further east is what I'm looking at. Light side is a no-go zone.

On Sunday morning I turned right off the 7 onto Sukhumvit, entering the left lane so as to go up Pattaya Nua.

There is just the one inside lane for turning left into Pattaya Nua. However, the Thai drivers made 3 lanes, and both the outside lanes were attempting to push into the inner lanes, patta Nia road was totally full.

Not a policeman to be seen, Saturday, Sunday or yesterday,

If you are not in the correct lane for either turning left or right, then you should have to continue straight on. Anything else should warrant a 5,000baht fine! The problem is the Thai attitude ME FIRST!!!

Might have been people restocking after songkran. I was stuck in the hell for a couple of hours last Saturday as well. Even dark side was horrible. Expect further attack of the hordes of the south this weekend due to payday.

Alternative routes further east is what I'm looking at. Light side is a no-go zone.

I have been told by a Thai friend that theres still vacation for many Thai families this week, the week after Songkran. Remember it's school holiday as well so many Bangkok families will extend their holiday. All the guesthouses along Jomtien beach was fully booked yesterday.

On Sunday morning I turned right off the 7 onto Sukhumvit, entering the left lane so as to go up Pattaya Nua.

There is just the one inside lane for turning left into Pattaya Nua. However, the Thai drivers made 3 lanes, and both the outside lanes were attempting to push into the inner lanes, patta Nia road was totally full.

If you are not in the correct lane for either turning left or right, then you should have to continue straight on. Anything else should warrant a 5,000baht fine! The problem is the Thai attitude ME FIRST!!!

I find it more that they share the available road-surface so that everyone can get to where they need to go. I much prefer this to the "road-rage" so prevalent in the West.

The problem is of course the buses. If something isn't done to control them they will bring Pattaya to a standstill. Everywhere you go it's lines and lines of buses. No town could cope with that especially a small one like Pattaya. Add in the new Habour mall on Klang and it's a recipe for disaster.

The bus congestion is mainly confined to Beach Road during the day and upper-Second Road during the evening cabaret show performances. So most of Pattaya is not affected. As to Harbor Mall, again, the affect on traffic has been not as bad as I expected. Sure, on weekends, by the afternoon, things get gummed up a bit but they also try to minimize this by closing off making a left turn entry while driving west.

People who can't adjust to traffic and parking issues really have no business living in a popular beach resort town. Thailand is big so go out and find your own piece of "paradise."

I'm wondering whether school resumes soon and parents are out buying back-to-school stuff for the kids.

I'm on the Darkside. I was out on the moto Saturday, which I normally won't do, and Sunday for necessities. It was bloody awful. On Sunday, early afternoon, the backup on the railway bypass road northbound was like a rush hour. Barely moving. Same thing northbound on Suk. Not that many buses really. On the return southbound on Suk was backed up past Hwy 7, 5-6 lanes wide.

I agree, it was some of the worst traffic I've ever seen here.

Such situations are bit of a "chicken or the egg" choice when it comes to identifying the source of the problem. I believe that all humans will take whatever they can get away with, especially if there is no risk of penalty. We are, after all, inherently cursed with greed. Some control it better than others. Some control it only when there is risk assumed by letting it run free.

So is it really the fault of the greedy Thai drivers; or is it the fault of the incompetent, lazy local police, who make no effort whatsoever to enforce traffic laws, except during "special effort missions" every month or so. The "extra lane" problem exists all over Pattaya. Anytime there are more than two cars in a "legal" turn lane, newly arrived drivers will inevitably create a "new lane", blocking the traffic in what should be a through traffic lane.

It constantly infuriates me at the Sukhumvit/Khao Talo intersection. My answer is to always make my best effort to prevent the car on my left (in the "new lane") from cutting in front of me by going bumper to bumper with the car in front of me, and squeezing left to block the car on the left from entering the single lane of Khao Talo. Always gives me a small measure of righteous satisfaction when I succeed in doing so!

Personally, I'm inclined to blame the police, and their lack of enforcement of the traffic laws. I say that because I never saw such behavior in the USA, where I drove for over 40 years. It's also very rare to see anyone, including motorcycle drivers, jump lights; or pass illegally (although that's more frequent than most other traffic violations). The overwhelming majority of drivers in the USA obey traffic laws. They do so not because they are "better people" than Thai drivers; but because the laws ARE enforced by the police, both in person and after the fact via CCTV. The vehicle laws that are frequently violated are parking rules. Those are violated with regularity; and, when tickets are issued, those are often ignored. That may lead to problems later, as warrants are issued for those who don't pay tickets; but such warrants are the lowest priority on the list for the police.

One last note, which I post for comment. I've lived in Pattaya for 10 years. I find my greatest discomfort is the frustration of being so completely powerless to do anything about things such as we've been discussing here - the Songkran water madness; the lack of traffic law enforcement; the disruption caused by the pork barrel tunnel; the interminable time for road and drain repairs; etc.. Of all of the negatives associated with living as an expat, that powerlessness is my greatest frustration. Obviously, it's been my choice to live here. I'm just venting. (I'm wondering if the name of this website should be changed to "Thai Expat Venting Forum", since that's the content of about 70% of the posts we make.) :-)

Several reasons and nobody mentioned the poor infrastructure (not enough decent roads).

Others: no proper bypasses for Pattaya and the railway road (Pattaya Bypass ha ha) nightmare; too many buses allowed to do what they want; too many cars from BKK with one or two occupants; poor traffic monitoring and control; traffic rules ignored by "me-firsts" and new popular big stores built within all this mess!!

There must be more but I'm tired.gigglem.gif

Several reasons and nobody mentioned the poor infrastructure (not enough decent roads).

Others: no proper bypasses for Pattaya and the railway road (Pattaya Bypass ha ha) nightmare; too many buses allowed to do what they want; too many cars from BKK with one or two occupants; poor traffic monitoring and control; traffic rules ignored by "me-firsts" and new popular big stores built within all this mess!!

There must be more but I'm tired.gigglem.gif

So let's "solve" the problem with a traffic cop behind every tree ready to jump out and hand out $200-300 traffic fines for every offense, congestion traffic pricing for all of Central Pattaya, parking meters on the streets with $100 fines for expired meters, and traffic and speed cameras at all intersections. No thanks, I'll keep it the way it is!

I can extend your report to include Sukhumvit Rd last night, and Pattaya Nua, 3rd Rd, and Sukhumvit again today.

I took my wife shopping last night at Macro and Lotus (Suk). I live on the darkside. It took 45 minutes to get to Macro (from the east end of Nernplubwarn). We finished there at 8:30. Suk was STILL heavy. It took 10 minutes to get from Macro to Lotus!

Today, I had to go to Home Pro and Foodland. Left my house at 2:30. Got to Home Pro at 2:45. I've been using the longer (distance) route lately. I go north on Nongprue Road, then up onto 7 to Suk; right on Suk to Pattaya Nua; left to 3rd Rd; 3rd Rd to back entrance to Big C Extra. Although that's about 1 km longer than the convoluted route to Pattaya Klang from my house, it's usually about 10 minutes faster. NOT today. Coming home from Foodland, the usual backup at the top of Klang to turn south, and go up the 7 ramp; with heavy traffic on Suk all the way to the ramp. Not bad once off the ramp and onto the RR bypass, and the u-turn to get back to Soi Siam CC.

Like the OP, I am mystified as to why traffic is so heavy. I thought the BKK crowd, and most other tourists, would clear out after Songkran.

I've got to back to that hell hole again tomorrow to Wattana; and then lunch at Tequila Reef. I'm hoping for a much better traffic situation; but I won't bet on it!

If u think it is a hellhole why stay there??

I have been told by a Thai friend that theres still vacation for many Thai families this week, the week after Songkran. Remember it's school holiday as well so many Bangkok families will extend their holiday. All the guesthouses along Jomtien beach was fully booked yesterday.

..and it seems there's a few days off for government employees and banks end of next week.