The New Ford Ranger

dvk1951

kasi

post 2006-11-14 20:15:19

QUOTE(nakhonsi sean @ 2006-11-14 07:56:39) *

'' Only in Thailand could Isuzu be number one. I have driven all the pickups but the Isuzu/Chevrolet were hopeless.''

So you are suggesting thai people are inferior and stupid!

Are you living here? I so why? When you have such a low opinion of the populace.

But I guess everyone has a right to their opinion. Hope it serves you well! jap.gif

Yes my friend, I am living here, 30 years on and off. "inferior and stupid" no! Having a Thai mother and wife, my opinion of them is actually quite high. High enough for me to have taken a degree in the language out of respect for the people I live amongst.

However, every nation has their blind spots (mine included, England). Unfortunately, as a long time car nut, automobiles seems to be one of the Thai ones.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Side aribags? I think Ford was the first one to introduce passenger airbags. Now all Isuzus are fitted with them but still not Toyotas.

Rear-access panels were introduced long time ago. That was the first unlucky move for Ford as the Revenue Dept argued that they are doors and so should be taxed as four door pickups. Another move was ethanol compliant engine for Focus - they hoped to get a tax break but Thais put a break on that.

The side airbags are mounted in the outboard sidepanel of the upper front seat. I assume they would deploy during lateral G forces to prevent body impact against the door. I still can not comprehend the concept of 'optional' safety but would have to say that it seems to be in line with the Thai's attitude towards the value of life, just another example of bottom line mentality, the baht rules.'

One thing I learned this weekend which may also be a first, it appears that the 5sp auto will not be available on the top of the range XLT Limited, never have run across that one before as the auto is still considered by many to be a luxury(in Thailand) and by default would be available on the upper end models. Considering the fact that most people who purchase this model would tend to use it for the cushy road miles and not off roading, it doesn't make sense to me.

Yes, that 5 speed auto business is unclear. If it's still not available, maybe that's what slows down the sales, too.

None of pickup trucks have 5 speed transmission, even most passenger cars are on 4 speed transmission only.

I remember they initially planned to launch it in December. Let's see how the Motorshow goes, will they have this transmission at the same time in both Ford and Mazda?

Yes, that 5 speed auto business is unclear. If it's still not available, maybe that's what slows down the sales, too.

None of pickup trucks have 5 speed transmission, even most passenger cars are on 4 speed transmission only.

I remember they initially planned to launch it in December. Let's see how the Motorshow goes, will they have this transmission at the same time in both Ford and Mazda?

The test drive I took was with a Ranger 5 speed manual and comments from the sales staff is that a lot of interest has been expressed in the 5 sp auto so your guess is probably not too far off.

The Ford Thailand website is plugging the new Everest and the auto Ranger as their latest and greatest to be unveiled at the auto show so December is still on. I would have to assume that Mazda would be on the same auto band wagon.

Have also heard unconfirmed rumors that they are only delaying the XLT Limited with the auto, perhaps they see this as giving them another reason for a new promotion.

Edited by dvk1951

Here are the sales figure for this year. As you can see, Ford and Mazda, perennial losers, prop the table despite being the only car makers with a complete new pickup models this year.

Things are slightly better on a car sales side - thanks to Focus, Ford finally outsold Mersedes Benz!

Apparently it's not only me - even the journalists join in Ford bashing, albeit subtly. Yesterday they ran a piece in the Nation on the new Everest with the picture of a smug farang who runs Ford here. They had this to say about it in the first paragraph:

"For those who loved the design of the old Ford Everest and never managed to buy one, there is nothing to worry about. Ford has launched the next generation of the Everest 7-seater Pickup Passenger Vehicle (PPV).

Even though company officials claim the new Everest has 70 per cent newer parts, the vehicle is very similar in terms of design to its predecessor."

The smile on Ford's CEO face looked paritucarly stupid with an opening like that.

Maybe they can start a new series of "Yo mama is so fat" jokes about Ford as their CEO is too thick to notice anyway.

And I can't stop myself from posting another Ford F650 picture, this time with a human, to appreaciate the size of that truck. I think it's gorgeous.

post-17897-1164294470_thumb.jpg

post-17897-1164294491_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...