Passenger stopped with 13kg gas canister before boarding Phuket bound flight

webfact

Passenger stopped with 13kg gas canister before boarding Phuket bound flight

gas.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- Passengers about to board a Phuket bound flight on Tuesday were horrified to see a fellow travelling had checked in a bag containing a 13 kilogram gas canister.

In front of more than 100 passengers waiting to board a Thai Lion Air jet, airport officials confronted a male Thai passenger about his bag they had discovered contained something forbidden. He was asked to verify that the bag was his and open it there and then, reports Thairath.

He pulled out the gas canister as airport staff told him it was strictly forbidden but the passenger, named as Prakorp Jaithiang, argued as incredulous passengers looked on that he needed it for his work down south. He told them he didn't want to fly if he couldn't take the gas with him.

The whole episode at Gate 74 Don Meuang on Tuesday afternoon was described on a Facebook page by a fellow passenger who took pictures. She quoted the owner of the gas telling staff "why didn't you tell me I couldn't take it before I got this far?"

The post and the multiple shares that it generated prompted airport authorities to mount an investigation but they said that procedures were correctly followed and it was the passenger who was at fault for not waiting for the results of the X-Ray of his bag.

The report into the incident stated that the passenger completed check in formalities in the departure hall at 4.40pm for the Thai Lion Air flight SL762 to Phuket. The passenger's bag was checked using 'inline screening' through an EDS machine. Staff found that the bag contained something that looked like a canister but the passenger, contrary to requests to wait for the results of screening, had already gone to the gate.

Officials found the passenger at the gate 30 minutes before departure and in line with their procedures asked him to verify that he was the owner before opening it himself and taking out the contents.

They assured the travelling public that the X-Ray machine was not fooled and all actions were in line with their SOP (Standard Operating Procedures).

They asked the public to ensure that they wait while checked in bags are screened in case there are forbidden items.

No action against the passenger has been announced.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-28

How can the airport blame this guy for his not waiting for the x-ray results? It seems to me that if he managed to get that through their x-ray machines and was allowed to proceed that he passed their x-ray examination and was permitted to proceed to his plane. Typical Thai behavior laying blame on others when the airport security is clearly at fault. Anyone that passes through a security checkpoint would never make it past the x-ray machine and would be detained at that point. Not allowed to proceed and if he actually did continue without their permission, they would lay chase to him. So this B. S. they are giving about his walking away is hogwash. It is not like the gate is so close to that checkpoint.

Both blaming the other; who'd have thought it. Both parties are at fault. Airport staff for letting him carry on and passenger for not knowing rules on prohibited items -- why didn't you tell me I couldn't pack that, indeed! Some people are just not grown up enough to fly and should stick to the bus.

How can the airport blame this guy for his not waiting for the x-ray results? It seems to me that if he managed to get that through their x-ray machines and was allowed to proceed that he passed their x-ray examination and was permitted to proceed to his plane. Typical Thai behavior laying blame on others when the airport security is clearly at fault. Anyone that passes through a security checkpoint would never make it past the x-ray machine and would be detained at that point. Not allowed to proceed and if he actually did continue without their permission, they would lay chase to him. So this B. S. they are giving about his walking away is hogwash. It is not like the gate is so close to that checkpoint.

You're wrong, that is the procedure at don muang.

You would think a journalist would include what type of gas?

Looking at the tank it appears to be helium used for party balloons

Looks like a small picnic size LPG cylinder to me. Besides, and incredibly, party balloons in Thailand are usually filled with hydrogen because helium is too expensive.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what the cylinder is filled with. Even with helium, if the tank or valve ruptured at altitude, the result would still be a bomb and disastrous to the aircraft and people inside.

All domestic flights now check in at Terminal 2 Don Muang and the check-in bag procedure has totally changed.

I don't now about Lion Air but I do know one of the other budget carriers provides very minimal information or explanation of the new procedure and maybe 90% of passengers check-in and go straight to the next step - the personal security check.

I already mentioned this to the carrier concerned. Response: mai pben rai, same airline in the news many times a few weeks ago.

Then they can not call it security... Surely it is not designed to prevent people from continuing to their planes boarding area... If they can make it that far then they can drop their bomb or whatever and let someone else continue with it onto a flight.... Pathetic! Especially since they lay claim to be one of the best airports in the world now.

If I was flying on a picnic Then it is obvious i will carry my BBQ set with me including its gas canister and a spare 1 too...Is it prohibited? ???

No 1 told me..1st time i fly ....huh..xray? Didn't sew it..just walked straight through...

If he was in a possession of a flake jacket, he'd be in jail now, but this guy 'only' had a 13kg

gas tank, what the worse that can happened???? .......

But - but! he is Thai - so not same same.

It says the bag was "checked in". That means to me that the bag was "checked luggage", that goes into the luggage compartment, and this is normal procedure. It goes through screening inside the restricted baggage area somewhere and the owners don't wait to see if it's ok. Airport security did exactly what they should have, and it was the passengers fault. Anyone with half a brain knows you can't fly with explosive material.

The passenger pulled out the gas canister in the boarding area.

IF the canister was designed as an explosive, giving the owner access to it in the boarding area is pure negligence and potentially life threatening to the public.

Airport security was diligent to question the bag contents but ultimately failed to safeguard the public.

It says the bag was "checked in". That means to me that the bag was "checked luggage", that goes into the luggage compartment, and this is normal procedure. It goes through screening inside the restricted baggage area somewhere and the owners don't wait to see if it's ok. Airport security did exactly what they should have, and it was the passengers fault. Anyone with half a brain knows you can't fly with explosive material.

If the luggage was checked in - meaning it was to be put in the plane's hold, the owner wouldn't then have the bag at the boarding gate.

If the luggage was checked in - meaning it was to be put in the plane's hold, the owner wouldn't then have the bag at the boarding gate.

He would have the bag at the boarding gate if the airline security brought it to him. They wanted it identified and opened by him. If this bag was x-rayed at the carry on area, it is observed while inside the machine and if there is something suspicious then security opens it in front of the guy before he gets it. So they may have had to bring it to the guy from the baggage area..... But really I don't give a flying "<deleted>"

"The whole episode at Gate 74 Don Meuang on Tuesday afternoon was described on a Facebook page by a fellow passenger who took pictures. She quoted the owner of the gas telling staff "why didn't you tell me I couldn't take it before I got this far?"

It's a good point.

There seems to be no problem packing aerosol cans into your check in luggage or even carrying small (less than 100ml) cans in your hand luggage.

So whats the problem with a large 13kg 'can'

And they say Thais are dumb---------------------coffee1.gif

"The whole episode at Gate 74 Don Meuang on Tuesday afternoon was described on a Facebook page by a fellow passenger who took pictures. She quoted the owner of the gas telling staff "why didn't you tell me I couldn't take it before I got this far?"

It's a good point.

Because he didn't wait at the baggage X-Ray station like he was supposed to.