Fireworks Tonight. A Busy Night At The Er

Physherman

The skies over Chiang Mai were beautiful last night, with khumloi going up all over. But closer to the ground, fire crackers were going off as well, despite the request by the government to restrict their usage.

Tonight of course will be the big event. I'm looking forward to watching some beautiful displays of pyrotechnic delight. I'll be on a high rooftop so I can see in all directions, as it will be happening in all directions, not just from the Ping River, and I want to see it all. I've noticed over the past few years that the quality and quantity of these displays has improved. With the number of tourist here for the Flower Expo, I'm sure the city will spare no expense on their display.

I won't go down to the river this year though. I'm saddened by the multitudes who choose this night to throw fire crackers at the feet of people walking along. I'm also sorry for those men and women who will staff the ERs in different hospitals, dealing with the burns, traumatic amputations, and blindings caused by these fire crackers. As a dumb kid, I almost lost a finger and an eye to a cherrybomb that had an 'instant fuse' and went off too quickly. I wonder if the quality control has improved?

Let's pray for a safe holiday season.

The Fly Fisherman

I concur with you both. Last night was fantastic in town, exciting, good natured and visually stunning but the fireworks at the feet made it a bit of a lottery.

Am I alone in thinking that there were a disproportionate number of Farang children engaing in this practice? The schools should have words.

My partner and I agree that the crowds downtown are just too many people, too hectic, loud, etc. We sent up two khum loi, which headed for the airport, then the moon. We'll do it again tonight, just the family, here in our moobahn.

A childhood friend of mine lost a finger doing fireworks.

Loi Kratong is such a peaceful celebration compared with songkran: lights, candles, flowers, balloons, kratong bobbing gently down the Ping...........KABOOM. Lots of LOUD fireworks along Nimmanheimin tonight. It's like Iraq out there. Any self respecting spirits would have been flushed out by the big bangs days ago. So why......?

Edited by fruittbatt

~

It's all in fun, right? And for sure it is but da wife and I avoid town and especially down at the river.

A few years ago went down to do the floaty things and there were people on an overhead walkway and on balconies dropping fireworks down on the pedestrians below. In the short time we were there we witnessed three injuries including one young farang boy who was seriously burned by another careless person and screaming in pain. We haven't returned since.

I agree about the skies these past two nights and it is still going on as I write. Very enjoyable indeed (from the safety of our home) and we try not to think of the chaos in the hospital emergency rooms as we gaze skyward in awe... :o

~

It's all in fun, right? And for sure it is but da wife and I avoid town and especially down at the river.

A few years ago went down to do the floaty things and there were people on an overhead walkway and on balconies dropping fireworks down on the pedestrians below. In the short time we were there we witnessed three injuries including one young farang boy who was seriously burned by another careless person and screaming in pain. We haven't returned since.

I agree about the skies these past two nights and it is still going on as I write. Very enjoyable indeed (from the safety of our home) and we try not to think of the chaos in the hospital emergency rooms as we gaze skyward in awe... :o

Truly beautiful.... sure,,,,, but four of these beauties fell in my front yard in about a 20 minute period.... must be some kind of record...... the last one set off my motion detector and switched on the security lights ..... voila,,,, I found the others...

post-22124-1162737455_thumb.jpg

I sure do not like the corrugated tile roofing but I am happy that I re-did the yaka roof that I had on an out building.

...and just as I am writing this two ambulances, back to back, went racing, off to the hospital I hope... more casualities of the beauty I guess. ain't it love-er-ly?? We havin fun yet Agnes ??

The skies over Chiang Mai were beautiful last night, with khumloi going up all over. But closer to the ground, fire crackers were going off as well, despite the request by the government to restrict their usage.

Tonight of course will be the big event. I'm looking forward to watching some beautiful displays of pyrotechnic delight. I'll be on a high rooftop so I can see in all directions, as it will be happening in all directions, not just from the Ping River, and I want to see it all. I've noticed over the past few years that the quality and quantity of these displays has improved. With the number of tourist here for the Flower Expo, I'm sure the city will spare no expense on their display.

I won't go down to the river this year though. I'm saddened by the multitudes who choose this night to throw fire crackers at the feet of people walking along. I'm also sorry for those men and women who will staff the ERs in different hospitals, dealing with the burns, traumatic amputations, and blindings caused by these fire crackers. As a dumb kid, I almost lost a finger and an eye to a cherrybomb that had an 'instant fuse' and went off too quickly. I wonder if the quality control has improved?

Let's pray for a safe holiday season.

The Fly Fisherman

Well, I was wrong. (That makes it twice for this year alone!!!!)

The fireworks were all foreplay and no orgasm. They were going off all over Chiang Mai, but nothing really big. Not a single one filled the sky as they have on so many other occasions. The best display came from a couple of kids down on the street right below me and lasted about three minutes.

I could see smaller ones going off along the river every few minutes, but I was expecting a real fireworks show, with the skies filled for 15-20 minutes of star bursts. Never happened.

Last year there were three different rooftop parties within my field of view as well, with lots of khum loi and fireworks. This year... not a one! There were a couple set off from over the Flower Expo area, but again, a minute or two and it was done.

Bummer.

The Fly Fisherman