Best places for Monkeys in Thailand

mrblonde

We are off to Thailand in September and at present, staying in Pattaya, Ayutthaya and Bkk, are there any places close to these areas where we can visit and see monkeys (preferably attractions which are actually monkey friendly - would hate to see the animals being mistreated)

Only place I know of is monkey island just south of Pattaya, and Lopburi, are there any reserves/sanctuarys that are local(ish) to the areas we are visiting please?

As mentioned, the temple near Hua Hin, up high on a hill, has hundreds of them, pretty wild little devils. As my gal and I approached the parking area on our motorcycle, dozens of monkeys started scampering towards us. Eventually, it seemed like there were hundreds.

As we parked, they ripped a newly bought bag of donuts off our handlebars then fought over who would get the treats (my treats). I was a bit pissed at first but then saw the hilarity in what had just happened.

Worse for somebody else, we watched a herd of monkeys there turn a shiny, black, late model car into their play thing.

So have fun but be aware of what other members pointed out. They are wild, potentially dangerous animals.

But now, "monkey mountain" is a great memory for us.

I would recommend avoiding monkeys as they are always pissed off.

So would you if you lived their life in a cage or in a populated area with a bunch of tourists snapping pictures.

There is a reason they throw s_ _ _t at people.

A crocodile farm would probably be safer. Not during the floods as they can been seen swimming down Beach Road in Pattaya!

We are off to Thailand in September and at present, staying in Pattaya, Ayutthaya and Bkk, are there any places close to these areas where we can visit and see monkeys (preferably attractions which are actually monkey friendly - would hate to see the animals being mistreated)

Only place I know of is monkey island just south of Pattaya, and Lopburi, are there any reserves/sanctuarys that are local(ish) to the areas we are visiting please?

Some might quip..."on every street" as a humorous reply.

There's a few places, eg the zoo just near chon buri...think it's called "tiger zoo", but has more than just that. You can camp there too.

A bit far from Bangkok perhaps, but there's a temple here in Hua Hin (in Khao Takiap) that's full of monkeys roaming around freely. Literally hundreds of them.

Have to agree with you and 100% Wild

original.jpg

Win thumbsup.gif

A bit far from Bangkok perhaps, but there's a temple here in Hua Hin (in Khao Takiap) that's full of monkeys roaming around freely. Literally hundreds of them.

Have to agree with you and 100% Wild

original.jpg

Win thumbsup.gif

The lady on the right appears to be giving you a dirty look rather than the monkeys?

I recommend calling in to Bang Saen on your way to Pattaya. There's a 'mountain' road leading out of Bang Saen - 5 or 10 minutes out from the centre just off the beach road. Monkeys roaming all over the hill. There's street traders selling big leaves that the monkeys seem to like - and they sit on your car and take the leaves (and your wipers if they can). biggrin.png

I got some nice photos of the monkeys sitting on the door mirrors eating the leaves - but this is best done with a rental car!

About 30 minutes north of Ayutthaya, out in the sticks, is Wat Kai (search for 14.5101109,100.5232588 in Google maps).

Lots of friendly monkeys (unlike the little buggers in Lopburi!) and a Hell Temple as well.

You can buy a basket of food from the temple at non rip-off prices and feed them. There's about 400 monkeys there and they are far less frantic than the town monkeys elsewhere.

Some details and pics here http://www.renegadetravels.com/wat-kai-ayutthaya-a-hell-temple-a-monkey-temple/

Edited by mrfill

Rama V memorial at Phra Chulachomklao Fort in Samut Prakan has wild monkeys. Great visit with the memorial having a Navy ship you can explore, restaurant and coffee shop,also an elevated board walk that goes into the jungle. Just Google the fort for more info.

Isn't there a hill teeming with them, near Bang Saen in Chonburi, close to Pattaya?

Yes, just to the side of the road out of Bang Saen towards Ang Sila, about an hour north of Pattaya.

You can drive around the hill and see them running about on the road. There are feeding points but you need to be very careful, the monkeys will try and grab the food. Anyone wearing glasses needs to particularly careful around monkeys, phones and cameras are also potential targets.

A bit the same in Lopburi, I saw a monkey come off the roof and steal the handbag from a lady right in front of us, disappeared before anyone could make a move.

The hotel we stayed in there brewed its own 'monkey beer', best monkey experience I have had.

For anyone sane and reading these posts (seems to be creating quite some issues) I feel the need to agree with Craig and warn those with the stars in their eyes - there are NO safe places for Westerners when it comes to monkeys. STAY AWAY.

Thailand has rabies and many other exotic diseases carried by mammals - get bitten by a monkey and you (or child) could get very very sick - and ruin the rest of your (their) life. There is plenty of evidence on the web - get it yourself - at least read Craig's list.

In Thailand AVOID cats, dogs, monkeys - all mammals that may bite you if they get angry/startled/hungry. AND avoid all lizards - especially the larger ones - they have a very toxic bacteria in their saliva. AND (on a roll here) avoid all natural water creeks/rivers - there are many organisms in there you do not want to meet (ignore the natives swimming there - they are immune). That will do for now :) OK - a little negative - but do not think that your natural inbuilt immunities will help you here - they probably wont (especially post 40). Asians have been here a long long time (duh) and they have a very strong immune system against all the diseases here - if not they die young. Westerners do not have immunities here - be sensible.

For anyone sane and reading these posts (seems to be creating quite some issues) I feel the need to agree with Craig and warn those with the stars in their eyes - there are NO safe places for Westerners when it comes to monkeys. STAY AWAY.

Thailand has rabies and many other exotic diseases carried by mammals - get bitten by a monkey and you (or child) could get very very sick - and ruin the rest of your (their) life. There is plenty of evidence on the web - get it yourself - at least read Craig's list.

In Thailand AVOID cats, dogs, monkeys - all mammals that may bite you if they get angry/startled/hungry. AND avoid all lizards - especially the larger ones - they have a very toxic bacteria in their saliva. AND (on a roll here) avoid all natural water creeks/rivers - there are many organisms in there you do not want to meet (ignore the natives swimming there - they are immune). That will do for now :) OK - a little negative - but do not think that your natural inbuilt immunities will help you here - they probably wont (especially post 40). Asians have been here a long long time (duh) and they have a very strong immune system against all the diseases here - if not they die young. Westerners do not have immunities here - be sensible.

Now that is funny. Undoubtedly true for most westerners. For those who fall into that category, just don't come here would be your best choice.

In Thailand AVOID cats, dogs, monkeys - all mammals that may bite you if they get angry/startled/hungry. AND avoid all lizards - especially the larger ones - they have a very toxic bacteria in their saliva. AND (on a roll here) avoid all natural water creeks/rivers - there are many organisms in there you do not want to meet (ignore the natives swimming there - they are immune). That will do for now smile.png OK - a little negative - but do not think that your natural inbuilt immunities will help you here - they probably wont (especially post 40). Asians have been here a long long time (duh) and they have a very strong immune system against all the diseases here - if not they die young. Westerners do not have immunities here - be sensible.

Now that is funny. Undoubtedly true for most westerners. For those who fall into that category, just don't come here would be your best choice.

It is truly amazing how many westerners say to my Thai Wife's friend at the hospital : "I didn't know !" "Why didn't anyone tell me ?".

For some weird reason many westerners feel that all is good and things are safe when they travel abroad - it is as if they think they are immune to danger/disease.

And yet back home they would never even think of riding a scooter with no helmet or other safety gear - or many other things they seem to think are safe here because the natives do it.

There are many many wonderful things to see and do in Thailand - but riding a scooter naked, riding a zip-line (unless fit/strong), playing with monkeys, patting a wandering dog - NOT.