Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Well that was a bolt from the blue! Paulo Ferrara coming in at right back and a team packed with players who had plied their trade on the Iberian Peninsula and all with a point to prove.No place in the line up for Drogba and Lampard.It could have backfired on Di Matteo and you could see all the armchair judges predicting calamity,but his strategy was correct. It was the best game I had seen Mereilles have since he joined the club.A special mention should be made of Luiz who was magnificent playing against some old team mates.Now that was good but,can we carry on the same enthusiasm and energy in the muted atmosphere of Villa Park? Now I'm in a good mood,I must say that Gary Neville is becoming one of the most thoughtful and intelligent football pundits on TV.He almost sounded like a Chelsea supporter last night!

Well that was a bolt from the blue! Paulo Ferrara coming in at right back and a team packed with players who had plied their trade on the Iberian Peninsula and all with a point to prove.No place in the line up for Drogba and Lampard.It could have backfired on Di Matteo and you could see all the armchair judges predicting calamity,but his strategy was correct. It was the best game I had seen Mereilles have since he joined the club.A special mention should be made of Luiz who was magnificent playing against some old team mates.Now that was good but,can we carry on the same enthusiasm and energy in the muted atmosphere of Villa Park? Now I'm in a good mood,I must say that Gary Neville is becoming one of the most thoughtful and intelligent football pundits on TV.He almost sounded like a Chelsea supporter last night!

Spot on Oldgit. Gary Neville has featured on at least 3 Chelsea games,and every time his comments are spot on,and yes he does give the impression that he has long been an admirer of what Chelsea have achieved over the last 8 to 10 years.Respect to that man.Where oh where did Di Matteo pluck that team from. He reminds of the dodgy magician,who couldn,t pull a rabbit out of a hat,but could always pull a hare out of his ass. smile.png

Spot on Oldgit. Gary Neville has featured on at least 3 Chelsea games,and every time his comments are spot on,and yes he does give the impression that he has long been an admirer of what Chelsea have achieved over the last 8 to 10 years.Respect to that man.Where oh where did Di Matteo pluck that team from. He reminds of the dodgy magician,who couldn,t pull a rabbit out of a hat,but could always pull a hare out of his ass. smile.png

That brought a snigger,mate.The missus was perplexed why I was laughing at a computer screen.

Good health and good luck to you Oldgit, and all fellow Chelsea supporters. I,m off to Bangkok tommorow and back to blighty early hours Sunday morning,so won,t be posting for a while.What a season this has been for us,as Jimmy Greaves would say,it,s a funny old game.drunk.gif

Good health and good luck to you Oldgit, and all fellow Chelsea supporters. I,m off to Bangkok tommorow and back to blighty early hours Sunday morning,so won,t be posting for a while.What a season this has been for us,as Jimmy Greaves would say,it,s a funny old game.drunk.gif

Have a good trip,Keith and don't forget to keep your head still when you're driving the ball!

Fabrice Muamba awoke in hospital last night and was told that Torres had scored 2 goals.

he said --- " fuc_k me, how long have I been unconscious for " ? intheclub.gif

Mancini and Man City can buy any player they want.

The only player they couldn't buy was Quasimodo.

He wasn't happy with a flat back four. clap2.gif

Football. Mirror of life.

Good game that. I thought the ref was a bit too keen with his card early on although good decision for the penalty and the regrettable sending off.

Twitchy bum time there at the end wasn't it? Until Miereles scored a cracker. Enjoyed the match and well done to your lot.

The two ties with Barca will be quality...Cech at his best as he was tonight and you might avoid a cricket score!

Good game that. I thought the ref was a bit too keen with his card early on although good decision for the penalty and the regrettable sending off.

Twitchy bum time there at the end wasn't it? Until Miereles scored a cracker. Enjoyed the match and well done to your lot.

The two ties with Barca will be quality...Cech at his best as he was tonight and you might avoid a cricket score!

It was twitchy bum time,Smokes but there was no reason for it to be so.We go 2-0 up and Benfica are a man down so we try to contain them.Well.the game against Villa last weekend showed that we are no good at containment.Our midfield isn't good enough to protect the back four for an hour and David Luiz gets bored defending all the time and loses concentration.When we do hit them on the counter attack,it all starts to slow down when the ball reaches Lampard and Kalou.Why don't we just play our normal game instead of trying to be clever? I couldn't see the sense of bringing Mata off who was our best player.I would have dragged Kalou off,who was playing on the left flank, for Sturridge who would have run at their full back and took him on.A terrific shot from Mereilles though to clinch the tie.

As far as Barcelona are concerned,we are 50-1 to beat them over two legs.My tactics would be to bypass the midfield and hit the front man as soon as possible because their defence is the 'weakest' part of the team.If we try and match them in midfield,they'll murder us.

It was twitchy bum time,Smokes but there was no reason for it to be so.We go 2-0 up and Benfica are a man down so we try to contain them.Well.the game against Villa last weekend showed that we are no good at containment.Our midfield isn't good enough to protect the back four for an hour and David Luiz gets bored defending all the time and loses concentration.When we do hit them on the counter attack,it all starts to slow down when the ball reaches Lampard and Kalou.Why don't we just play our normal game instead of trying to be clever? I couldn't see the sense of bringing Mata off who was our best player.I would have dragged Kalou off,who was playing on the left flank, for Sturridge who would have run at their full back and took him on.A terrific shot from Mereilles though to clinch the tie.

As far as Barcelona are concerned,we are 50-1 to beat them over two legs.My tactics would be to bypass the midfield and hit the front man as soon as possible because their defence is the 'weakest' part of the team.If we try and match them in midfield,they'll murder us.

Just hope you get a strong ref, and the games not decided on dodgy decisions, last time you should have gone through to the final.

I hope Di Mateo is thinking alonf the tactical lines put forward by the oldgit. He's right and thats the only way to beat them.

Drogda's an excellent battering ram and maybe, just maybe Torres might decide this big stage is the time to be a world class footballer again.

Ramires playing a type of Claude Makele role infront of your center backs wouldn't go amiss either.

Just hope you get a strong ref, and the games not decided on dodgy decisions, last time you should have gone through to the final.

Mourinho made a veiled reference to the favourtism Barcelona get from referees in his press conference.Whoever it is will have his work cut out as their players are past masters at conning and intimidating the referee.

I hope Di Mateo is thinking alonf the tactical lines put forward by the oldgit. He's right and thats the only way to beat them.

Drogda's an excellent battering ram and maybe, just maybe Torres might decide this big stage is the time to be a world class footballer again.

Ramires playing a type of Claude Makele role infront of your center backs wouldn't go amiss either.

It's a bummer that we have to face them at Stamford Bridge first. but as for the first leg.I wouldn't disagree with your saying,Mr. C.We must be positive at home to enable us to go to the Nou Camp with any sort of chance.Ramires is vital to our midfield as he's quick.I would play him centrally as he's wasted stuck out on the wing.I definitely wouldn't play Lampard and Mikel as I can see them exposing their lack of pace.Mereilles is running into form and should start.Peter Cech is the best goalkeeper for distributing the ball in the Premier League as he can kick with either foot and has a mean throwing arm.I would like to see him tossing bombs to Drogba and Torres,who I would both play,to bustle up their defence.If they're both not up for this game then they must be comotose.

Mata must start centrally and I would play Sturridge as support for the front two,preferably one-on-one with Puyol.

It's a bummer that we have to face them at Stamford Bridge first. but as for the first leg.I wouldn't disagree with your saying,Mr. C.We must be positive at home to enable us to go to the Nou Camp with any sort of chance.Ramires is vital to our midfield as he's quick.I would play him centrally as he's wasted stuck out on the wing.I definitely wouldn't play Lampard and Mikel as I can see them exposing their lack of pace.Mereilles is running into form and should start.Peter Cech is the best goalkeeper for distributing the ball in the Premier League as he can kick with either foot and has a mean throwing arm.I would like to see him tossing bombs to Drogba and Torres,who I would both play,to bustle up their defence.If they're both not up for this game then they must be comotose.

Mata must start centrally and I would play Sturridge as support for the front two,preferably one-on-one with Puyol.

Not arguing with any of that oldgit.

Playing 3 centre forwards OG ?

Playing 3 centre forwards OG ?

Not quite that bold,Alf. I would favour a 4-1-3-2 formation with Sturridge on the left of midfield,Mata covering the centre with Ramires between him and the back four.Meireles would be my choice to patrol the right side.Sturridge would have to exhibit a lot more desire than he showed yesterday,to get into the team,he might have well not been on the pitch for the contribution he made.

Managers talk about concentrating on"one game at a time" well,Di Matteo might have been focused on this game but it was obvious from the start that the majority of the team had their minds on future confrontations.Extremely fortunate to come away with a win with at least one goal that was blatantly off side.

I like Gary Neville. Been there and done it, and no bullshit.

Keith, Oldgit, Mr Red. May the force go we with you.

You still with us gogobar8. Looks like you gone missing?

His last post was a sort of Daft Vader farewell.

DM said before the Wigan game that his team against Barcelona will be quite different.

I think he'll pick a team capable of going forward and troubling Barca at the back.

For me Sturridge needs to be there because he can cause damage against top class players.

I don't think Frank should start because his presence will lead Chelsea to play the kind of game that there will only be one winner of.

If PC plays a blinder in goal I think we've got a chance.

I'm just checking now what sort of line up we had that was successful against Barca last time... before the Norwegian ref stepped in.

DM will have had a close look I reckon.

I like Gary Neville. Been there and done it, and no bullshit.

Keith, Oldgit, Mr Red. May the force go we with you.

You still with us gogobar8. Looks like you gone missing?

His last post was a sort of Daft Vader farewell.

I'd still play him in my team though. Good value if you are in a ditch fighting the enemy.

I'm gona be in Bangkok for the Chelsea vs Liverpool game on May 5th, shall we have a little meet up to watch the mighty blues smash the bin dippers? :-)

The usual pitch,Sea'? By the way,I hope you've got treatment for blisters after you've staggered around the London Marathon courseclap2.gif

DM said before the Wigan game that his team against Barcelona will be quite different.

I think he'll pick a team capable of going forward and troubling Barca at the back.

For me Sturridge needs to be there because he can cause damage against top class players.

I don't think Frank should start because his presence will lead Chelsea to play the kind of game that there will only be one winner of.

If PC plays a blinder in goal I think we've got a chance.

I'm just checking now what sort of line up we had that was successful against Barca last time... before the Norwegian ref stepped in.

DM will have had a close look I reckon.

Surprisingly,there's not a lot of difference between the personel of both teams compared with 2009 and now,Kam'.Alex,Anelka and Ballack played then but won't be playing now and Barcelona will be without Ya Ya Toure and Eto this time.The only difference is that they've gone forward and we've gone the other way.It was certainly a tempestuous confrontation then with Drogba at his nastiest.Nowadays,he's become Mr. Nice Guy,patting oponents on the back and pleading with the referee in their defence, when he's about to brandish a yellow card.

I much preferred the horrible,cheating,diving Drogba to the one now.Let him be reincarnated for first leg at Stamford Bridge,please!