Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

The funny thing about AVB is that he is a total football geek - you know the anorak trainspotter variety. I have one of his powerpoint presentations on my computer that he did for Mourinho on a scouting trip in 2005. It is written in effectively that foreign language that football geeks use to discuss tactics, formation and strategy. Offensive transition? Things like 'secondary ball'. I bet he is a lot of fun to have a beer with. Diamond formations? However I did think his comment that 'Owen always chases after the ball even when it is going off the pitch' was quite amusing but I am not sure he meant it to be.

So how come if he knows everyones tactics formation and strategy to the slightest detail does he choose to adopt such an inflexible and predictable strategy himself as a manager?

....... I was so surprised when Scotty Parker went to Spurs, I thought Chelsea needed a player like him.

Mr Parker is 31 years old.

Probably why many managers looked at him and thought, nah!

AVB, Wenger, Dalgleish and a hatful of the also-rans are kicking themselves now.

It is written in effectively that foreign language that football geeks use to discuss tactics, formation and strategy. Offensive transition? Things like 'secondary ball'.

Abrak calling someone a geek :o iv'e heard it all now :D

You must have been lost after the first minute Abs

I bet he is a lot of fun to have a beer with.

You and him would make a right win double then Abs :D

Edited by alfieconn

Last year, Chelsea started their season with exactly the same record in their first 14 games as this season - 9W, 1D, 4L. The only difference is that 28 points was enough for them to lead the Premiership last year while it is only good enough for 4th, 10 points behind the leader, this year.

Shame he is going, would of preferred to have kept him and offloaded Kalou instead

Anelka accepts Blues decision

Nicolas Anelka has accepted Chelsea's decision to head in a different direction and expects to finalise a move away from the club in January.

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas revealed after Saturday's 3-0 victory at Newcastle United that the club had accepted transfer requests from Anelka and Brazilian defender Alex.

French striker Anelka has started just three Premier League games for the Blues this season and is out of contract at the end of the campaign.

Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua have been strongly linked with a bid for the 32-year-old, while Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp is an admirer of the forward.

Anelka, who has made over 180 appearances in almost four years at Stamford Bridge, has been prepared for the club's decision in recent weeks.

He understands Villas-Boas' desire to focus on emerging talent and has suggested he already has an idea about his destination in January.

In a statement on his official website, Anelka wrote: "I've known for a little while where I'll be on January 2.

"The club, which is going through a difficult time, has decided to work with Chelsea's players of the future and, as I am a good professional, I have accepted this."

Anelka deal agreed

Skysports.com understands a deal has been agreed to take Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka to Chinese outfit Shanghai Shenhua.

Representatives of the Asian side announced earlier on Wednesday that they were hopeful of reaching an agreement for the French forward.

It was suggested that a three-year deal would be put in place, with the finer details in the process of being thrashed out.

It is understood that those talks have reached a conclusion, with terms having been agreed.

Anelka will only sign up for two years, but his arrival in Chinese football will help to raise the profile of their domestic league across the world.

A switch is set to be pushed through in January, with Chelsea having revealed that their 32-year-old striker has handed in a transfer request.

Anelka has already turned out in France, England, Spain and Turkey, but appears to be all set to continue his career outside of Europe.

Liking this guy a lot, very cool, calm and collected for a young player!

Romeu targets extended run

Oriol Romeu is relishing his time in the Chelsea spotlight and hopes he can convince Andre Villas-Boas that he is deserving of a regular role.

The 20-year-old summer signing from Barcelona has been eased into the Stamford Bridge fold, with it important for him to acclimatise himself with his new surroundings before being thrown in at the deep end.

Villas-Boas has turned to the youngster in recent outings, though, with Chelsea forced to try a different approach after enduring an alarming dip in form.

Romeu has responded with assured performances that belie his age and inexperience, with the Spaniard immediately looking at home at the heart of the Blues' midfield.

He admits turning out in UEFA Champions League games such as Tuesday's crunch clash with Valencia and Monday's impending encounter with Premier League leaders Manchester City have assured him that he made the right choice in moving to London.

"I came because there was more chance of playing and to be playing in games of this magnitude, against Valencia and against Manchester City, is a marvel," Romeu said in the Daily Express.

"I love playing generally, but it is even more enjoyable when it is in important games.

"I really like the style here. I liked watching it on TV before and I like it even more now, playing in it. It is a different kind of football - more physical, with more contact and quicker."

Romeu is desperate to retain his starting berth for a meeting with City, after starting Chelsea's last two Premier League games, but concedes that competition for places at Stamford Bridge is fierce.

"I don't feel I'm an automatic choice in my position no, not at all," he said.

"There are three, four or five players who can play there. The only thing all of us can do is maintain our level if we want to play. It is a continual evolution and all of us can play at this point in time.

"The City game is a great chance to show everyone what we can do when we are playing well, against the league leaders.

"If we win, it will prove that we are still fighting for the league."

Mata - Lamps a legend

Chelsea winger Juan Mata has labelled Frank Lampard a club 'legend' in the wake of his match-winning goal against Manchester City.

Lampard converted a late spot-kick that condemned the Premier League leaders to their first defeat of the season.

The England international might have slipped out of Andre Villas-Boas' starting XI, but Mata thinks the 33-year-old still has plenty to offer.

The former Valencia playmaker insists Lampard has made him feel welcome at Stamford Bridge, stating he is accommodating to new players.

"Lampard is a legend here, a legend who keeps on providing a lot of good to the club," explained Mata.

"He is a great presence to have in the dressing room and, for me, he is a standard-bearer for the entire world of football.

"I have only known him a few months but he is a great guy and he has been very accommodating to all the new players coming in."

The 23-year-old added: "He has the experience to remain calm, even when he's not playing, to know that there will be times when he will play because there are so many games.

"He still has a lot to give. He will score a lot of goals and play a lot of games this season, I'm sure."

Villas-Boas' results have come under the spotlight this season, however, Mata believes the players are fully behind the Blues manager.

Chelsea's campaign is up and running after getting the better of City and the summer signing remains focused on helping the club win silverware.

"The team has shown in the worst moments that we are united behind the manager," he continued.

"Now that we are in a run of results where things are more positive, everything is easier, but we have shown that we are together with the manager and the technical staff, like a family.

"We have not won anything just by beating these teams, but we have to keep fighting to win games because we are still in with a chance of a lot of trophies.

"It was a very important win against the league leaders, and it gives us a lot of confidence.

"We have won three vital games, against Newcastle, Valencia and now this one, which has broken the negative run we were in and now we can hopefully start a good sequence to keep on rising up the table."

Mata - Lamps a legend

Chelsea winger Juan Mata has labelled Frank Lampard a club 'legend' in the wake of his match-winning goal against Manchester City.

Have to agree. He's one of those sort of good-guy blokes that you would like to have as a mate (in the non-sexual relationship sense of course :whistling: ). If I wanted a helluva night out on the town I think I'd go for Drogba though! Casual few beers and jokes in the pub - it would have to be Joey Barton - if he has not given up the booze already. The guy I would least like to spend any time with? Theo Walcott - like a night out in the Waltons' house (for anyone out there who ever lived that era). Can't think of anyone in the current Arsenal line-up that I could cheerfully spend leisure time with - maybe Alex Song

90%+ of footballers seem to have personality bypasses.

Mata - Lamps a legend

Have to agree. He's one of those sort of good-guy blokes that you would like to have as a mate (in the non-sexual relationship sense of course :whistling: ). If I wanted a helluva night out on the town I think I'd go for Drogba though! Casual few beers and jokes in the pub - it would have to be Joey Barton - if he has not given up the booze already. The guy I would least like to spend any time with? Theo Walcott - like a night out in the Waltons' house (for anyone out there who ever lived that era). Can't think of anyone in the current Arsenal line-up that I could cheerfully spend leisure time with - maybe Alex Song

I can't think of anything worse than having to spend a night out with a premier league footballer. Super Mario might just be the exception though. :D

Mata - Lamps a legend

I can't think of anything worse than having to spend a night out with a premier league footballer. Super Mario might just be the exception though. :D

Never a dull moment! laugh.gif

Bryan Robson,Norman Whiteside and Paul Mcgrath were always good company,but in them days they went out for a pint after the match,and people respected that they are human after all.

Had a beer with Richard Dunne a few times sound bloke.

Chelsea target young superstar!

http://www.telegraph...n-pictures.html

Superstar?? You sound greener around the gills with every post young man! laugh.gif

smile.gif Surprised Arry hasn't been linked to signing him yet

I feel a bit embarassed actually. Imagine referencing Cloughie on this poor excuse for a thread.....the shame of it.

Don't like this thread Smokie don't come back on it......simples innit :-)

I'm still seething over your behaviour in the summer. Mind you I bet you wished you'd offered £50m now....biggrin.gif

Looking forward to next week's game! cool.gif

Next weeks game is gona be a classic, in our current form I really feel we can beat anyone, will be close but we will win and revive the old 3 point lane song! :D

I'm still seething over your behaviour in the summer. Mind you I bet you wished you'd offered £50m now....biggrin.gif

Next weeks game is gona be a classic, in our current form I really feel we can beat anyone, will be close but we will win and revive the old 3 point lane song! :D

Oh no you won't! biggrin.gif

Beating a ten man team at home with an 87 min penalty is much of a resurgence. ;)

AVB will come to Spurs for a point but i doubt you'll get anything. It won't be a classic because you will try and slow everything down and kill the game. Its always fun though to listen to Captain Fantastic getting wound up at the Lane. :)

I do think Mata is an excellent player though.

Beating a ten man team at home with an 87 min penalty is much of a resurgence. ;)

AVB will come to Spurs for a point but i doubt you'll get anything. It won't be a classic because you will try and slow everything down and kill the game. Its always fun though to listen to Captain Fantastic getting wound up at the Lane. :)

It seems you're correct carmine....a fluke win that must have been.

biggrin.gif

Well the thing is, Villas-Boas looks desperate on the toucline at times. Add to that asking the players to share their celebrations with you :unsure: and it really doesn't look good. The squads weak and getting old. Terry is hopeless, (Alex is a better center back and he's fallen out with him) and the midfield has no creativity br Mata. Why isn't he playing Lampard who is their joint top scorer....and thats from cominf off the bench!

They are going to have to do their usual and buy their way out of trouble.

Well the thing is, Villas-Boas looks desperate on the toucline at times. Add to that asking the players to share their celebrations with you :unsure: and it really doesn't look good. The squads weak and getting old. Terry is hopeless, (Alex is a better center back and he's fallen out with him) and the midfield has no creativity br Mata. Why isn't he playing Lampard who is their joint top scorer....and thats from cominf off the bench!

Is it true their £50m has shrunk in value and now worth £20m? That's not good business now is it?

Add on his colossal wage bill and keep looking for a buyer in vain! biggrin.gif

It seems you're correct carmine....a fluke win that must have been.

biggrin.gif

Yep, carms was spot on with his assessement of the city game, most certainly a red herring :o

Is it true their £50m has shrunk in value and now worth £20m? That's not good business now is it?

Add on his colossal wage bill and keep looking for a buyer in vain! biggrin.gif

OK, i'll ask you a perfectly serious question. :o Adebayor will probably go at the end of the season. We can't afford him, Chelsea will lose patience with Torres. It seems he just doesn't fit in. He would suit a lone striker role with Van Der Vaart sitting in behind. Would you take a gamble and buy him if his price was 20m?