Motorbike Accident: who has to pay for damages?

alexlm

Hello,

I'm renting a motorbike (Zoomer X) from a big cars and bikes rental shop in Pattaya/Jomtien.

My Thaï girlfriend lost control while the road was wet and crashed into a car AND a street food seller.

Obviously, I'm guessing she is wrong. That's her mistake.

So:

- She paid for the car damages.

- She paid for the street food seller "thing" damages.

- She paid for the "motorbike that I rent" damages.

To sum up, she paid for everything...

No police was called or involved in the event.

Is that normal?

Aren't there any insurances in Thailand??

What advices would you give me in the case where I would get that kind of troubles again with this motorbike in the future?

Thank you,

Alex

All normal, and she was wise to avoid getting the police involved; could have got a lot more messy and costly.

Few, if any, rented motorcycles are covered by insurance.

Few motorcycles in Thailand, other than those on time payment have anything more than the compulsory (and very basic) cover for injuries incurred in an accident….. And that is only valid if the bike is ridden by someone with an appropriate licence (Thai motorcycle licence for sure; foreign licence with motorcycle endorsement along with an International Driving Permit…. maybe).

The only sure way to avoid problems in future is to avoid renting or riding a motorcycle. If that is not practical, be careful about how you ride.

You should know, your the one renting the bike and should know what insurance there is or isn't....don't try and blame some else

if there is no insurance, its in your name, your GF rode the bike and smashed things up..you or she pays...simple...further I must congratulate your GF in being so responsible in paying for all of this...the bikes in your name, she could have just as easy done a runner and you would be paying

You should know, your the one renting the bike and should know what insurance there is or isn't....don't try and blame some else

if there is no insurance, its in your name, your GF rode the bike and smashed things up..you or she pays...simple...further I must congratulate your GF in being so responsible in paying for all of this...the bikes in your name, she could have just as easy done a runner and you would be paying

It's my girlfriend... of course she paid everything since it's her fault.

If a "girlfriend" do a runner, as you said, I would not call that a girlfriend...

Edited by alexlm

Ask the place where you rent if they offer any insurance. I know some places in Chiang Mai do, though Pattaya might be a different kettle of fish. I think you should give your missus a pat on the back for taking care of everything, despite it all being her fault. Many would defer to their farang backer.

As mentioned before, it is your job to make sure there is appropriate insurance coverage. Of course there exists motorcycle insurance in Thailand but many people are too negligent to get it. For a rented bike, it'll be difficult. Buy a bike and get first class insurance is my advice. It'll be cheaper in the long run anyways and chances are it wont be the last accident, statistically speaking.

or maimed someone for life and ended up paying for life.

99.9% of the Bikes being rented have no 3rd party insurance. There is a required insurance to buy when the owner register the bike which covers 10-15,000 in medical for the rider but other than that you need to buy 3rd party on your own usually if you own the bike. And from my own experience confirmed from a Insurance Broker that very few Thais riding bike buy 3rd party.

In your particular case that is right you pay everything!

Edited by thailand49

girlfriend payed exellent proves a lot if posters wrong on here for a start. NO Body was maimed read the original post so why put it in now! !!!. Sensationism at best. Edited by jeab1980

All normal, and she was wise to avoid getting the police involved; could have got a lot more messy and costly.

Few, if any, rented motorcycles are covered by insurance.

Few motorcycles in Thailand, other than those on time payment have anything more than the compulsory (and very basic) cover for injuries incurred in an accident….. And that is only valid if the bike is ridden by someone with an appropriate licence (Thai motorcycle licence for sure; foreign licence with motorcycle endorsement along with an International Driving Permit…. maybe).

The only sure way to avoid problems in future is to avoid renting or riding a motorcycle. If that is not practical, be careful about how you ride.

Depending upon the age and model of the motorbike, in many cases you will find it almost impossible to even get any insurance cover other than the minimum govt. cover.

No ur totally wrong, she got on the bike so it's her responsibility not his.

She crashed the bike so she has to pay for the damages.

Doesn't matter who's names on the contract it's worthless over here anyway.

About 4 years ago I had an accident at 6am on my way home from my birthday celebrations. I was turning right and 3 young Thai guys were heading to work and overtaking me on the right side. I turned right and whack, one of them went straight into me. I had been drinking so clearly was to blame regardless of anything else. My girlfriend paid the 3 guys 200 baht each which they was very happy with as they were late for work. As such no police needed to be called and I was off to hospital with a Anterior hip dislocation and spent 10 days hospitalized in traction ( most painful thing Ive ever experienced ).

Anyway the relevance to your question is:

My girlfriend spoke with the bike hire company and claimed on the Government Insurance scheme which all hire bikes will have ( if they are legal anyway, but this is Thailand, lol ). She had to get some paperwork from the hire company owner to give to the Insurance office in North Pattaya road, that was a little bit of a pain, but the Insurance office gave her a cheque within 1 week for 15,000 baht ( the maximum cover on the government Insurance ).

I then also claimed under my Travel Insurance policy and because no police were called alcohol was not tested for on my arrival at hospital, so alcohol was never an issue ( thank god ). To cut a long story short I received full recompense ( 4 months later ) from my UK Travel Insurance for all my hospitalization and medication ( 90,000 baht ).

I can also tell you about an American friend of mine who was renting a motor bike. He was walking down Soi Baukhow in Pattaya and tripped over ( some of the pathways are death traps ) and suffered ankle damage and a cut foot. He had to attend hospital and receive treatment. In total his hospital bills for a few visits was around 8,000 baht. He claimed this off his motorbike ( Government ) insurance also, saying he had fell off his bike. He received full payment. I am not saying his actions are right or wrong, I am highlighting that there definitely is Government Insurance on motorbike hires automatically provided you are renting from a reputable company.

But then how do you know if your hire company are reputable - Good Luck this is Thailand...........

About 4 years ago I had an accident at 6am on my way home from my birthday celebrations. I was turning right and 3 young Thai guys were heading to work and overtaking me on the right side. I turned right and whack, one of them went straight into me. I had been drinking so clearly was to blame regardless of anything else. My girlfriend paid the 3 guys 200 baht each which they was very happy with as they were late for work. As such no police needed to be called and I was off to hospital with a Anterior hip dislocation and spent 10 days hospitalized in traction ( most painful thing Ive ever experienced ).

My girlfriend spoke with the bike hire company and claimed on the Government Insurance scheme which all hire bikes will have ( if they are legal anyway, but this is Thailand, lol ). She had to get some paperwork from the hire company owner to give to the Insurance office in North Pattaya road, that was a little bit of a pain, but the Insurance office gave her a cheque within 1 week for 15,000 baht ( the maximum cover on the government Insurance ).

I then also claimed under my Travel Insurance policy and because no police were called alcohol was not tested for on my arrival at hospital, so alcohol was never an issue ( thank god ). To cut a long story short I received full recompense ( 4 months later ) from my UK Travel Insurance for all my hospitalization and medication ( 90,000 baht ).

I can also tell you about an American friend of mine who was renting a motor bike. He was walking down Soi Baukhow in Pattaya and tripped over ( some of the pathways are death traps ) and suffered ankle damage and a cut foot. He had to attend hospital and receive treatment. In total his hospital bills for a few visits was around 8,000 baht. He claimed this off his motorbike ( Government ) insurance also, saying he had fell off his bike. He received full payment. I am not saying his actions are right or wrong, I am highlighting that there definitely is Government Insurance on motorbike hires automatically provided you are renting from a reputable company.

But then how do you know if your hire company are reputable - Good Luck this is Thailand...........

Actually you went into him he didn't go into you. The mirrors at the side have a purpose but as you said you were drunk so probably didn't use them. It was your fault

Actually you went into him he didn't go into you. The mirrors at the side have a purpose but as you said you were drunk so probably didn't use them. It was your fault

Depends if he was indicating or not, if so they are in the wrong. But of course mirrors must be checked.

It's my girlfriend... of course she paid everything since it's her fault.

If a "girlfriend" do a runner, as you said, I would not call that a girlfriend...

Agreed I think the correct legal term would be ex-girlfriend

I no longer ride a bike, but during my first two years I rented from a delightfully honest and sincere lady in the back of Jomtien Complex. She wisely urged me to buy insurance with the bike rental and thankfully I did. After a crash due to a puddle with slimy

concrete dust I went to a clinic everyday for thirty days and it was all covered although I paid for the damage to the bike. I am certain

this lady can fix you up with all inclusive insurance. You may be the only rider covered by insurance so ask about every scenario. Go to where Thappraya turns right into Jomtien Beach road and 200 meters to between the new pie restaurant and Shenanigans and turn right for 50 meters on the left. Best of luck to you and I understand wet streets so your gf handled that very well.

Nice people.

You could also avoid renting or driving a car too. Or even better stay at home and do nothing. sad.png

Killjoy!

I find a motorcycle the most practical way to get around in Thailand…. Have done about 180,000 km in 17 years in Thailand over the past 35 years, without an accident or ticket.

Good travel insurance, don't leave home without it!!

Irrelevant here; not much use when the girlfriend crashes the motorcycle you rented.

Edited by Aj Mick

Recommendation 1/ Don't let GF use bike.

Recommendation 2/ Buy your own scooter. New ones are cheap. Used ones are very

cheap and readily available. Stops you from any bike rental inflated repair costs and

and bike rental scams. 20k baht for a good second had bike pays for itself in no time.

BTW. Glad your GF was not hurt, and the costs of damage to the car and vendor cart

were manageable. Far better your GF negotiated and paid for this. I am sure the amounts

would have inflated greatly if you were the driver. of the scooter.

Edited by Ulic

Which he probably was!

girlfriend payed exellent proves a lot if posters wrong on here for a start. NO Body was maimed read the original post so why put it in now! !!!. Sensationism at best.

One day maybe it will be one of your family on the receiving end, you might think ( though I doubt it ) differently then, you obviously condone driving with no insurance......why am i not the least bit surprised.

Ive no problem reading and understanding the post but you seem to have trouble comprehending what having no insurance means ultimately, she was lucky no one was injured or maimed/killed nothing more.

In a country with such a high death rate on the roads insurance is a must........that or an amulet, I know which one Ill be relying on.

Edited by kannot

If you are just a tourist then the best insurance is a travel insurance. I covers accident, 3rd party damage etc. If the rented bike probably only have the basic compulsory insurance that cover medical expenses of the driver if have license and is not intoxicated up to 14000 Baht.

I myself bought a bike for this reason to avoid all kind of insurance and damage problems. Get extra insurance for theft , fire, third party damage etc. It worth paying few thousand to avoid all other problems.